Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jansen

Golgo-13

Ok, we all know that Jansen is a better Tackle than he has been playing the past few weeks. I'm wondering, do you guys think that his sub-par performances in the past few weeks will help to keep his asking price more manageable once he becomes a free agent? Also, why do you guys think that it is taking the FO so long to re-sign him? Could they be waiting on someone else? This scares me a little. What do you guys think about this situation as a whole?

Jansen has probably been the most consistent player on the line so far this season.

Samuels has been the one that has really struggled out at tackle and I am firmly convinced his injury problems have had a great deal to do with that.

Both the LG and RG spots are going to be revolving doors for awhile, probably until next spring.

Jansen is still going to be worth quite a bit as a free agent, don't doubt that.

Jon can be a dominating RT at times, especially in the run game. He is more effective in a MartyBall type offense than he is in a pass-oriented scheme like the Skins have now.

He also can play LT. Now we haven't seen much of him at LT but from what I understand he showed himself to be capable as a LT.

So, you have a 25 year old near pro bowl performer who is just entering his prime and has an excellent work ethic and a player coaches hold out as an example for others to follow.

Think that kind of player is worth a big contract?

Well, Stubby and Dan Wilkinson got big contracts out of the Redskins for a lot less :)

I think the problem is Mendes is a cheapskate who has never built a winner and believes you can plug in bargains on the OL and DL and win Super Bowls, a model that he has never been able to get to work before.

However, that is just my opinion and I really don't *know* why the front office hasn't made a bigger push to lock Jansen up.

the ability of the Redskins to rework and resign key younger performers on the team in my mind is going to determine whether this team gets over the hump in the next 2-3 years.

losing a Samuels or Jansen or Bailey would be devastating for a team that has succeeded in drafting quality players at #1 and #2 but has by and large failed to draft or develop any real depth on the team.

you can't have it both ways. under the salary cap, you only have so many dollars.

if you spend all of them on free agents from other teams you end up having to try to strike undermarket deal to keep your own talent.

and that in turn makes your own players angry and upset that THEY arent' the ones you are willing to break the bank for.

we didn't give Armstead that much guaranteed money, he was the 'value' type of pickup that I am really in favor of making. $1.5 million isn't that much over 3 years and at 31 I think he can be a productive player for us for at least 2 years, perhaps 3.

he is a better run defender than Barber, which is important given the limitations of our DE's to stop the run in the past.

Trotter IS a major investment and one made at a position where some other teams have passed on the opportunity. The Eagles were not prepared to give Trotter top money although they were willing to pay him top 5 money :)

The Cowboys and Rams both decided in recent years to let veteran middle linebackers, Randall Godfrey and London Fletcher, go in free agency rather than resign them to big deals.

You can go both ways on this signing.

I agree with bulldog; Jansen has been the most consistent performer on the O-line, aside from Loverne, who has been consistently awful. :)

I fear that our brain trust may revert back to the philosophy of "We can plug any washed up vet in there and get to the Super Bowl." I really hope Snyder has learned his lesson, although it looks hopeless.

He was a huge Hogs fan. Why can't he put two and two together? We can have that same type of team, but it starts with Samuels and Jansen. Draft two solid guards in rounds 2 and 3 next year, and sign a good center. Then you have your groundwork for a solid O-line.

Unfortunately the philosophy that the O-line isn't important and you can win with lower-tier talent has developed over the years. It just isn't true.

We actually have some flexibility in drafting for the middle of our OL since if the best player available either in the draft/F.A. is a center we could always take him and move Rod Jones back to G where he probably belongs.

We really can't afford to lose Jansen though. We're in the same position as last year with K. Lang. If we lose our player, then we have to draft or sign a competent replacement just to get back to where we started from.

We were lucky with Lang, however he comes nowhere close to having the value that Jansen does. Mendes had better sack up and get this one done.

Well if Jansen wants big $$$ we should just let him walk Rod Jones is perfectly servicible at tackle. We need to just draft some OGs and sign a good FA or two. For example Boston could probably be had for a reasonable price since he's having a pretty bad year thus far and we all know Boston+SOS=points.

Originally posted by indyskinsfan

Current reports in the Washington Post suggest, the finishing touches are all that's needed at this point, as the Skins should have him in a Skins uni for years to come.

Is Jansen close to agreeing? I thought they were close only on an initial proposal...

Archived