Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Championship defense? Chargers showed it last night...not us

scottlo34

The Redskins defense is going to go backwards big time this year and I will tell you why. Greg Williams is going to find out once and for all that schemes don't win championships...players do. Why in the world after one game are we right back in the same pathetic mess with the lack of pressure we got on Johnson? Simple. Gibbs was convinced by Williams to rest on our laurels from the defensive showing of the last two years and not to bother acquiring a proven pass rusher or two. Andre Carter? Give me a break. Phillip Daniels showing up the last five weeks of last season and going on a sack barrage? Well, show me again Phillip, and this time do it all season long. Williams' ego with his schemes has been figured out and the result will be the defense slipping a little or a lot more for that matter in '06. Somebody going to respond with injuries to Springs? Please. get some quality depth and quit the "we need shawn springs in there and then we will be fine" cry. The defense showed no tenacity against the Vikes and they were horrendous on 3rd down. 9-17 on 3rd down conversions? Hate to see what it will be when we face an offense with real playmakers. We were lucky to lose by 3. forget bashing John Hall. The score should have been so out of reach for us that field goal would not have mattered in the least. You want championship defense? After watching San Diego absolutely destroy the Raiders with defensive pressure that our front seven could only dream of, I am convinced that holding teams in the 10-13 point range is going to be a stretch. I was pained watching Merriman just have his way while steamrolling Raider offensive lineman. If we had done our homework in the draft two years ago, we should have done what it took to land Merriman in DC rather than going after Carlos Rogers who couldn't cover a bed with a blanket if he had to. Greg Williams will be seriously humbled this year. I guarantee it. Just calling it as I see it folks. It really is amazing that once I put on a new pair of glasses and set the burgundy and gold colored ones aside, I see things how they really are. Our defense will be mediocre at best this year. You can dump this thread if you want to, but fellow Skins fans, the truth hurts so deal with it. I have been a Skins fan for 26 years and I have dealt with a lot. I have the right to call it as I see it because that is what this board is for. ExtremeHomers need to wake up and see that we are in trouble. "It was only preseason. It was just one game." Don't you guys get tired of sticking to the same pathetic battle cry? It's time for this organization to shut up and start winning games.

ummm....maybe a big difference was that Oakland has possibly the worst O-line in the league and didn't try to run and Minn has one of the best lines and stayed comitted to the run? But no sense thinking about it logically or anything, let's just can the coaches and say **** it all after one game, right? :rolleyes: So ****ing ridiculous, half this place needs to be on valium.

Pressure was down because we weren't blitzing. No blitzing because GWilliams didn't have confidence in Springs replacements.

So you are going to change your entire defensive scheme because one player is out with injury? It's not much of scheme if it revolves around one player and if GW doesn't have confidence in springs's replacement then why are they on the team? This is not new though. We also had problems getting pass rush last year without any blitzes.

I am holding my judgement on Carter since it is only one game but he will face most LT's that are as good or better than Mckinnie.

So you are going to change your entire defensive scheme because one player is out with injury? It's not much of scheme if it revolves around one player and if GW doesn't have confidence in springs's replacement then why are they on the team? This is not new though. We also had problems getting pass rush last year without any blitzes.

I am holding my judgement on Carter since it is only one game but he will face most LT's that are as good or better than Mckinnie.

You don't know what the **** you're talking about. Mckinnie is an excellent LT, and he has the best guard in the league and easily one of the best centers in the league next to him. So, do they always give 7 year $50 mil contracts with 17 mil guaranteed to piece of crap LTs? That's the extension they gave him last week, you know, because most teams have LTs that are "as good or better" than Mckinnie. Minn might have the best line in the league, they're a really solid unit, I'm sorry you know too little about football to realize this. Do us all a favor and step away from the computer, take 10 deep breaths and then go learn something about football so you don't look so stupid when you post here.

The Chargers played against Oakland. Oakland stinks on every side of the ball. Even the threads stink on the ball that they use. Now, I'm not discrediting the Chargers defense, but Oakland is a pee wee league team. Any team that gives up nine sacks in a game shouldn't even be allowed to show up to an NFL stadium. Chargers had a bye week.

Archived