Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Minn. making plays on 3rd down... over and over

DCthomahal

Tough loss. Do think we will come back strong next week.

Plenty of reason for optimism, but also some upsetting stuff. Haven't seen this addressed specifically in other threads: could not believe our defense gave up what seemed like big play after big play on 3rd down. Seemed like Min. would run into the line on 1st and 2nd and then hit a big one on 3rd over and over again.

Cut and pasted these below from CBS play by play. By my count 192 yards of offense and two touchdowns are accounted for in the 10 conversions below. All but one are greater than 3 yards to go.

This seems like one of those things that is fixable. Also you have to hand it to Brad Johnson (and wonder exactly why we didn't put more emphasis on getting pressure on him).

Here they are:

3-9-MIN33 (12:53) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass short middle to T.Williamson to MIN 45 for 12 yards (V.Fox).

3-7-MIN48 (11:25) B.Johnson pass deep right to T.Williamson pushed ob at WAS 6 for 46 yards (M.Rumph).

3-4-WAS4 (10:08) C.Taylor left guard for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3-4-MIN32 (:19) B.Johnson pass short middle to J.Wiggins to MIN 39 for 7 yards (A.Archuleta).

3-7-MIN47 (12:41) B.Johnson pass incomplete deep left to T.Williamson [V.Fox].

PENALTY on WAS-K.Wright, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 47 - No Play.

3-9-WAS47 (11:47) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass deep middle to B.McMullen to WAS 25 for 22 yards (A.Archuleta).

3-5-WAS20 (9:45) B.Johnson pass deep left to M.Robinson for 20 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3-3-MIN40 (2:08) B.Johnson pass short right to C.Taylor to WAS 36 for 24 yards (S.Taylor). WAS-P.Daniels was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

3-9-MIN24 (9:39) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass deep middle to T.Taylor to MIN 48 for 24 yards (S.Taylor, L.Marshall).

3-9-MIN48 (2:50) B.Johnson pass short right to T.Williamson to WAS 39 for 13 yards (S.Taylor). PENALTY on WAS-S.Taylor, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at WAS 39.

Wow. Let's see some improvement on this against the Cowboys! I expect it will be like night and day. Go Skins.

We played the run as well as I expected. IMO our pass defense is going to be pretty solid as we go along... think there will be alot of improvement next week. I think a lot of tonight's weakness was as much Minn -Brad Johnson- strength as anything, he threaded a few in there that did not seem possible, stood in the pocket and delivered over and over again. Surely we will get more pressure on Bledsoe.

Having said all that, our defense giving up this much on 3rd down repeatedly... I never would have thought that would happen. That's the most glaring problem to me. Still see it as a fixable problem.

They just commented on 3rd downs on the post game... we all know Greg Williams will have a few things to say about this aspect of the game, as well as others, this week!

What needs to happen is Gwill needs to come to the realization that we are a very poor zone coverage team, and get back to blitzing(both zone and man)...On 3rd and long we dont get pressure w/our front four so w/us sitting back in zone a good QB will pick us apart like Brad Johnson did but most QB's dont like pressure up the middle and will get rid of the ball quicker thus eliminating the need to have to cover very long...

What needs to happen is Gwill needs to come to the realization that we are a very poor zone coverage team, and get back to blitzing(both zone and man)...On 3rd and long we dont get pressure w/our front four so w/us sitting back in zone a good QB will pick us apart like Brad Johnson did but most QB's dont like pressure up the middle and will get rid of the ball quicker thus eliminating the need to have to cover very long...

Greg Williams has forgotten about ten times as much about football than I will ever know, but as a fan that is the one thing I will be TRYING to get some idea about in the next week... I mean he is KNOWN as an exceptionally aggressive defensive play caller. I was expecting a big blitz like every other play against a 38 yo QB. Was he (and will he be) THAT concerned about Springs being out or what???

Archived