Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Elephant in the room

desertfox59

No this is not another Duckett, Rock, Betts, thread (although those topics will be discussed). This thread is about the lack of production of our running game.

Even with all of the excellent posts and threads on both sides of the Running back arguments, there has been a point about our Running game production that has been continually missed...an Elephant in the room if you will.

In short, it is the poor play, lack of effort and execution of our Offensive Line.

Anyone who understands offensive football understands that the foundation of passing and running is the offensive line. The o-line has been at least o.k. in the passing game, but in the running game not so much.

My question is: How much of our poor running back play is caused by the poor play of our offensive line? Shouldn't some of the Backs production (or lack of) be credited (or blamed) on them?

No this is not another Duckett, Rock, Betts, thread (although those topics will be discussed). This thread is about the lack of production of our running game.

Even with all of the excellent posts and threads on both sides of the Running back arguments, there has been a point about our Running game production that has been continually missed...an Elephant in the room if you will.

In short, it is the poor play, lack of effort and execution of our Offensive Line.

Anyone who understands offensive football understands that the foundation of passing and running is the offensive line. The o-line has been at least o.k. in the passing game, but in the running game not so much.

My question is: How much of our poor running back play is caused by the poor play of our offensive line? Shouldn't some of the Backs production (or lack of) be credited (or blamed) on them?

I'm not sure that point was missed:

http://www.bangcartoon.com/podcasts/index.cfm/fa/skinscast

Ok, cheap plug, but we have been talking about the line for three episodes.

They haven't looked great, but in the preseason, the defensive lines are usually ahead of the offensive lines. They are learning a somewhat new system and Randy Thomas is coming back from injury ... They will only get better with time.

Our offensive line was awesome down the stretch last year, and it's the same 5 guys. I wouldn't worry about the Dirtbags. :2cents:

I'm not so worried about the dirtbags (starting 5) as much as I am the dust bunnies (all the rest)

the dustbunnies :rolleyes: played well against the Jets.. and I don't think all five starters will go down at one time :laugh:

outside of Thomas missing two games with a broke ankle & Jansen missing 94, the Starters have been one of the most durable group in the NFL, throughout the indivual careers.

I think the poor running game blocking can be attributed to it being preseason play.

The coaches probably just tell the o-linemen to block the guy in front of them and not to do anthing real fancy.

You may be right but I thought they would be running these plays the way they are going to be run in the regular season... I mean why would you not?

It's preseason. "We talkin' 'bout prac-tice."

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the Idea that it's only preseason and therefore nothing to be conserned about was shot down by Joe Gibbs himself after the Jets game.

As far as the line play goes, I haven't seen alot of pulling guards or trap plays. Knowing that was a staple of what the Chiefs did tells me that the play calling is just simple at this point.

The elephant in the room that was on my mind deals with the severity of Portis' shoulder situation. All the talk seems to be about how offensive the signing is/was to Betts and Cartwright. But to me what's going unsaid is the fact that the shoulder kept Portis out of the playoff game in Seattle and then got re-injured in the first game of preseason. That right there is one fat, ugly elephant that I've been trying to ignore, but since you titled the thread that way I went ahead and opened my eyes and saw that heffalump!!

Concern about depth on the OL is legit. Concern about nickel and dime DB's is legit. Concern about special teams coverage by guys desperately trying to make the first cut is perhaps something to think about if you are extremely bored. But these aren't elephants in the room. If Jansen or Samuels stinked, that would be an elephant in the room. If the starting defense was getting smoked - elephant. I think the thread title should be knat on the elephant's *****...

Concern about depth on the OL is legit. Concern about nickel and dime DB's is legit. Concern about special teams coverage by guys desperately trying to make the first cut is perhaps something to think about if you are extremely bored. But these aren't elephants in the room. If Jansen or Samuels stinked, that would be an elephant in the room. If the starting defense was getting smoked - elephant. I think the thread title should be knat on the elephant's *****...

The starting line has done nothing for the running game this preseason. This is not about vanilla play calling, it's about fundimental execution. Look at the running stats for the starting unit the first two games.

It is a legitimate concern.

As far as the line play goes, I haven't seen alot of pulling guards or trap plays. Knowing that was a staple of what the Chiefs did tells me that the play calling is just simple at this point.

The elephant in the room that was on my mind deals with the severity of Portis' shoulder situation. All the talk seems to be about how offensive the signing is/was to Betts and Cartwright. But to me what's going unsaid is the fact that the shoulder kept Portis out of the playoff game in Seattle and then got re-injured in the first game of preseason. That right there is one fat, ugly elephant that I've been trying to ignore, but since you titled the thread that way I went ahead and opened my eyes and saw that heffalump!!

I guess there are two elephants in the room. :) good point

So the backup OL is the Elephant in the room? C'mon.

Not what I'm saying. With all the talk about Duckett, and hurt feelings, and Betts and Rock suck. I just thought that people were missing a very obvious thing. The o-line as a whole unit is and was at least particially responsible for our poor ground game. in the rush to blame/talk about the newest RB people missed that "Elephant in the room"

the dustbunnies :rolleyes: played well against the Jets..

Did They? With very few exceptions, Joe Gibbs might disagree with you.

The starting line has done nothing for the running game this preseason. This is not about vanilla play calling, it's about fundimental execution. Look at the running stats for the starting unit the first two games.

It is a legitimate concern.

I'm not concerned. It's the same line that got Portis 1,500+ last season.

Maybe we should hire Spurrier to coach the preseason so that the fans don't stress out.

I'm not concerned. It's the same line that got Portis 1,500+ last season.

Maybe we should hire Spurrier to coach the preseason so that the fans don't stress out.

It is also the same line that suffered two major injuries with Thomas and Rabach. No-one's stressed here my friend, just trying to be objective.

There is definite cause for concern with the majority of our O-Line recovering from injury. Hopefully they shake some of the rust off in time for the Vikings. However, remember that Portis has only 1 carry so far this preseason and we brought in Duckett to shore up the depth.

It's also preseason, the defense will almost always have an advatange IMO. When an offense predictabel and plain, it is easy to stop.

funny, Joe Bugel said he was pleased by their preformance, when he was on the John Riggin's show the other day....

Gibbs and Bugel tend to agree :)

Didn't here that show. That maybe so. I'm going by what Gibbs said after viewing the tape of the jets game.

Maybe they don't agree, or maybe they do, or maybe they both are just protecting players. Who knows.

But I do know that I would listen to Gibbs over Bugel every time. ;)

I hate to disagree, but I think the O-Line looks just fine this year, in very, very limited play time. The pass protection has been generally very good, and the lack of run production is more to do with the lack of CP running the ball with the injury. I think it does highlight the fact that, while I have loved and supported Betts and Cartwright for a number of seasons now, they aren't CP. I have high hopes for the double backfield possibilities of CP and Duckett.

Archived