Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duckett, on a more personal level

slinky

i never knew much about him but he really does seem to be a good guy.

He lost his mom to cancer and has set up his own foundation for cancer research and support for those who have lost loved ones to cancer.

http://www.tjduckett.org

I can really relate to him as I also lost my mom to lung cancer in 2001. I'd love to get involved with him and work with his organization... since I lost my mom, i have also wanted to help others.

"As a member of the Atlanta Falcons, all players are encouraged to get involved in charitable organizations and to give back to the Atlanta community. TJ has taken it one step further by establishing the TD Foundation, where the main objective is to positively impact youth and families who have lost loved ones to cancer or to provide assistance to those who are currently living with cancer."

"TJ Duckett’s experience as the son of a woman who lost her courageous battle with cancer provides him with a unique perspective as he prepares for the inaugural event for his TD Foundation. TD Foundation and TJ Duckett are committed to honoring the memory of his mother, Jacquelyn Barham."

more...

Duckett honors his mom with charity

Jacquelyn Barham came home from work tired. Often, she went straight to her room to rest.

The youngest of her three children in Kalamazoo, Mich., T.J. Duckett, was confused and frustrated by his mother's constant fatigue. She kept secret from him and his siblings that she was being treated for lymphatic cancer.

"I was always thinking, 'Why is she always tired? Why is she always laying down?'" Duckett, the Falcons running back, told Ken Sugiura of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Barham died when Duckett was a freshman at Michigan State. Five years later, Duckett is honoring his mother and starting a charitable foundation to comfort children who have lost parents to cancer or who have themselves been diagnosed with cancer. Duckett says he can't wait to get started.

"If someone hasn't really been through that situation, you can't say to him, 'I know how you feel,' " Duckett said. "But me actually being through it, I can probably tell them what's going on before they can even tell me."

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/05/12/Columns/Southern_Fryed.shtml

Falcons rookie running back T.J. Duckett has all the motivation he needs tattooed on his arms. His right arm has "Jacquelyn," and the left has "Barham."

Jacquelyn Barham is Duckett's mother. She died of lymphatic cancer last year.

"It's going to motivate me forever," he said.

"For the rest of my life it will be."

"She hid from us as long as she could," Duckett said. "I look back now and realize how incredibly unselfish it was for her to let me live as normal a life as possible."

Bonus material

"I've played against almost all of [the best running backs]," Coach Bob Davie said this week. "Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, George Rogers, Eric Dickerson. [Duckett] is a unique combination of that kind of size and that kind of sprinter's ability."
He was an All-American linebacker at Loy Norrix High School in Kalamazoo, recording 102 tackles and nine sacks as a senior. And when he wasn't wreaking havoc in the opposing team's backfield, Duckett was part of Loy Norrix's option attack as a quarterback.
Duckett was considered the nation’s top prospect, although at linebacker not running back, where he would make his mark at Michigan State before being the No. 18 overall selection in the draft by the Falcons in April.

DuckettWheatleyweb.jpg

a_duckett_i.jpg

1105909733_1610.jpg

Good stuff slinky, well done. Like bubba said, person-wise and player-wise, I think we got us another good one.

thank you... and not to mention... Duckett can play LB and QB if we need him too :laugh: :cheers:

QB Depth Chart

1. Brunell

2. Campbell

3. Collins

4. ARE

5. Duckett :notworthy

Archived