Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Kornheiser

PuckDallas81

It's preaseason for Tony K. I expect him to improve as he gets more comfortable.

The MNF crew overall was good. The discussions up in the booth actually kept me tuned in to the game despite a horrible game.

bingo that is the key there, and i agree i did not even realize then they were talking about the game that it was almost over, it was funny when Tony thanked Childress for not putting it in overtime :laugh:

Tony's inexperience showed, but it's nothing that won't be improved over time. He's just trying to find his place in the group. I don't like the Tony, Tony, Tony, segment. That's a little corny. However, I think Kornheiser is at his best when he does journalist-like things. For example, I thought he was at his best when talking about Zygi Wilf (I still can't spell that) and how they talked before the game. To me, that should be his job. Tirico can handle the play by play, and Theisman can do the football-related color. Kornheiser should be the one who comments on the personality of the game, or use his contacts much in the way he did with Wilf last night.

He'll get better.

i love the tony, tony, tony segment

I'm not sold on it yet. I don't think Theisman and Tirico are very good with it. Kornheiser is capable of making it good, but he's not yet assertive enough in the booth with his opinions. For example, with the "funny team nickname" email, he didn't even answer it, passing it on to Joe T after saying essentially, "I don't know." I think the only problem is experience at this point.

Also, I like to see someone at least pretend to know what they're talking about rather than someone who admits to not knowing something simple. I like the veil that certain sportscasters put over themselves, leading me to believe that they know more than me. As soon as I heard Kornheiser was confused about the silent count, I couldn't take him seriously for a while.

Also, I like to see someone at least pretend to know what they're talking about rather than someone who admits to not knowing something simple. I like the veil that certain sportscasters put over themselves, leading me to believe that they know more than me. As soon as I heard Kornheiser was confused about the silent count, I couldn't take him seriously for a while.

Can't disagree more. I hate it when NFL color commentators and play-by-play guys (but usually the CCs) throw football jargon around without explaining it. With Kornheiser in the booth MNF could become a lot more educational if Tony is asking Joe questions like how the silent count operates.

For some reason, baseball color guys are a lot more willing to explain the finer points of the game (for instance, I remember learning a couple years ago that a change-up was thrown just as hard as a fastball, the difference was all in the grip), whereas football guys just seem to assume that the audience knows everything. Kornheiser will be able to stop Theismann every once in a while and say, well, what exactly does that mean. It should make the game much more accessible.

Can't disagree more. I hate it when NFL color commentators and play-by-play guys (but usually the CCs) throw football jargon around without explaining it. With Kornheiser in the booth MNF could become a lot more educational if Tony is asking Joe questions like how the silent count operates.

For some reason, baseball color guys are a lot more willing to explain the finer points of the game (for instance, I remember learning a couple years ago that a change-up was thrown just as hard as a fastball, the difference was all in the grip), whereas football guys just seem to assume that the audience knows everything. Kornheiser will be able to stop Theismann every once in a while and say, well, what exactly does that mean. It should make the game much more accessible.

this is the exact reason why people knock on john madden cuz he explains everything.. john madden is great

I see your point. Maybe ESPN could put an emphasis on that too, through the Tony, Tony, Tony segment.

Wilbon gave him a C+ on Cold Pizza for his first broadcast.

that is fair it was his first time and he was talking over joe and mike at times, which he is used to doing on PTI, once he understand when to talk and not to talk I think he will be great

Sorry to say, but Tony is horrible.. maybe he just needs more experiance

Commentators need Pre Season just as much as the players. Cut him a break, it was his first show. Think about your first day of work. Everyone's usually nervous, bcause you don't know exactly what your doing. he'll be fine by the first game of the year.

Kornheiser is the best.

I hope he continues to call Theisman out on Theisman's typical color commentator fluff BS. Theisman is the worst booth man on TV.

Theisman: great arm, maybe had decent legs until LT got a hold of one, horrible mouth and brain connected to it.

During a game, I can tolerate Joe, jsut becasue Ive learned to tune out commentators, but put a mike infront of him other than game time, he either says the stupidest things I have ever heard or its like a script from a PR firm.

It seems like there was a lot of dead air last night. But I only watched about 15 minutes. It was almost like Theismann was holding himself back on purpose to try and get Tony to jump in, but dead air ensued.

I think we, as an audience, just aren't used to him yet. He might grow on us, he might not. Ask me again at the end of the season.

What I WILL say is that the play-by-play guy left a lot to be desired. His voice made me want to take a nap.

It seems like there was a lot of dead air last night. But I only watched about 15 minutes. It was almost like Theismann was holding himself back on purpose to try and get Tony to jump in, but dead air ensued.

I think we, as an audience, just aren't used to him yet. He might grow on us, he might not. Ask me again at the end of the season.

What I WILL say is that the play-by-play guy left a lot to be desired. His voice made me want to take a nap.

I think this was just them getting used to one another. Theisman is the only experienced NFL commentator there, and I think he realized he couldn't do all the talking.

I always liked Mike Tirico doing college games, but he just sounded like someone else last night. - Like he was trying to impersonate someone.

Hopefully they'll settle and Tirico will relax, Theismann will break things down as he always has and Tony K will chime in occasionally with some wit.

I noticed they did go to Suzy a lot, but the Sunday night crew did the same thing with Andrea Kramer. - I think this may just be because in pre-season you can talk to players throughout the game. - I'm sure that will tone down when the regular season starts.

Kornheiser is the best.

I hope he continues to call Theisman out on Theisman's typical color commentator fluff BS. Theisman is the worst booth man on TV.

I agree!

Theisman come off as the most arrogant SOB ever. I loved watching him on TV until he started to talk! Just my :2cents:

Joey T's problem is he likes talking about himself too much. Granted, you want a former professional's perspective, but Theismann is kinda like OJ used to be, except without all the killing and stuff. Who can forget the roving sideline comments from the Juice? "Marcus Allen sure has deceptive moves, it reminds me of another great USC running back, back up to you Dick and Merlin". That was the worst, except JT gets to chime in on every play. Paul McGuire was a better foil IMO, but perhaps TK will step up over time. Heck, they gave Dennis Miller two seasons, he can't get any worse than that. And I actually like DM outside of his MNF stint.

Archived