Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fair Weather Fans

Cambl2Moss

Tonight was the first preseason game and half the people on this site are jumping down the necks of our players and coaches. Fair Weather fans make me sick, and should not be on the ES site. To say that Saunders is a horrible pickup, and say that our recievers arent great is insane. We played our starters for 1 possession on either side of the ball...we moved the ball really well until Brunell's pick which was great considering we did it without Portis, and our defense nearly held Cincy's starting offense to negative yardage. Fair Weather fans need to get a life, and realize that the preseason means nothing. To get posts out there questioning Saunders, a coach who was in the top 4 in nearly every offensive category since 2001 is absurd. To question our WR after 1 preseason game even though Lloyd had an amazing grab is stupid. To question Wright on defense means you dont know much about football, becuase he played really well when he was surrounded by first string defensive players...but his play was suspect when in the second and third string defense....I hope everyone who is questioning the skins after their first preseason game dont hop back on and claim to be huge fans when we are doing well in the regular season.

On a sidenote...get well Portis

The fair-weather stuff crops up after every loss.

While I agree with you -- a Pre-Season game where our starters played all of 20 down combined O and D dosen't really matter; to me, it hurts EVERY time the skins loose, as I'm sure it does to some of our other brothers. Just try to empathize with thier frustration, and know that they most likely mean not what they say.

However I totally mean this, JC had better be the #2 ahead of TC based on tonight preformance.

The fair-weather stuff crops up after every loss.

While I agree with you -- a Pre-Season game where our starters played all of 20 down combined O and D dosen't really matter; to me, it hurts EVERY time the skins loose, as I'm sure it does to some of our other brothers. Just try to empathize with thier frustration, and know that they most likely mean not what they say.

However I totally mean this, JC had better be the #2 ahead of TC based on tonight preformance.

A loss hurts, but as a huuge skins fan, i very rarely turn on players after a regular season loss unless they really deserve it. Collins shouldnt even be on our practice sqaud I agree...but for people calling for Wrights, Saunders, and our WR heads....thats rediculous....Wright will turn out really well and Saunders and our WR core shouldnt even merit a response.

Cambl2Moss,

I noticed that you joined ES in March of 2006 so this is probably your first exposure to the reaction of fans on this website during gameday. Obviously, as you can see, people like to say a lot of silly things and lose sight of the big picture.

If I can offer one piece of advice to help you enjoy the season a little more, it's this:

1. Don't take what many people have to say on the site (in the event of a 'Skins loss) on gameday seriously.

2. Avoid visiting the site on the day of a loss completely.

I hope you enjoy your time at ES for many years to come. Don't let a few fans who feel the need to vent their frustration bring you down.

Hail.

dude, you joined in March 2006, expect this to get worse during the season. I mean, seriously, do searches in the archives, we have had just as stupid threads if not worse before.

Otherwise, I agree, get well Portis!

I may have joined in March 2006, however I've visited the site for the past couple of years so dont talk down to me like you are a bigger fan or something. Sorry you signed up first, but never speak to me that way again like I have no merit to post my thoughts....I dont need to do the searches...Ive been on this site long enough to see that people arent "real" skins fans...I just decided to post about it. Thanks

I may have joined in March 2006, however I've visited the site for the past couple of years so dont talk down to me like you are a bigger fan or something. Sorry you signed up first, but never speak to me that way again like I have no merit to post my thoughts....I dont need to do the searches...Ive been on this site long enough to see that people arent "real" skins fans...I just decided to post about it. Thanks

Geez, he wasn't speaking down to you, he was filling you in about how this happens all the stinkin' time, and he only did that because he had every right to think you were new to this site...calm the **** down.

Well looks like my man should reword his posts then...thats exactly how it came across...like I havent been coming to the site for the past 2 years...I finally decided to join becuase half the people on here make me sick with their rants....its not being "objective and die hard" becuase the same people who were "objective" about Saunders will be all over his **** a month from now when we are torching defenses....I would love to see how those people posted when the Ole Ball Coach had us running up the scores in the preseason

Just because people are frustrated with the coaches or the players makes them fairweather? The last time I checked fans are allowed to get upset after a embarassing loss too. The whole offseason has had a huge buildup that was gonna feature a powerful offense added to our alreadfy stoubt defense. Well alot of fans are disappointed with a long offseason filled with hype. That hype did not carry over and we had a couple of huge injuries to go along with the pain of our team laying an egg tonight.

All is well folks, Portis has almost a month to recover from a mild shoulder seperation. Joe Gibbs still runs this football team. Al Saunders offense is gonna explode when it really counts. Greg williams, well, after what the first string done tonight, all is still good in Redskin land....:applause:

Tonight was the first preseason game and half the people on this site are jumping down the necks of our players and coaches. Fair Weather fans make me sick, and should not be on the ES site. To say that Saunders is a horrible pickup, and say that our recievers arent great is insane. We played our starters for 1 possession on either side of the ball...we moved the ball really well until Brunell's pick which was great considering we did it without Portis, and our defense nearly held Cincy's starting offense to negative yardage. Fair Weather fans need to get a life, and realize that the preseason means nothing. To get posts out there questioning Saunders, a coach who was in the top 4 in nearly every offensive category since 2001 is absurd. To question our WR after 1 preseason game even though Lloyd had an amazing grab is stupid. To question Wright on defense means you dont know much about football, becuase he played really well when he was surrounded by first string defensive players...but his play was suspect when in the second and third string defense....I hope everyone who is questioning the skins after their first preseason game dont hop back on and claim to be huge fans when we are doing well in the regular season.

On a sidenote...get well Portis

I have to say I agree. I've read some ridiculous posts (Gibbs will fire Saunders!).

Preseason=Exibition. It's a chance to evaluate the second and third string players and give them a taste of the NFL. I think it was in Brandon Lloyd's blog where he talked about the different intensities of play: training camp, preseason, regular season and post season. For some of these rookies it's the first time they've played in front of a crowd this big, first time on television, first time with this type of scrutiny and coverage. I really don't think some 20 year old can be convinced that he knows how badly Coach Gibbs et. al. are screwing up. For chrissakes, calm down, let the staff and players do their job. I'll bet Coach Gibbs has just a little experience in this here job and knows just what he's doing. I don't think it's panic time yet. :2cents:

And yes, Heal up Portis!

No offense- but, if there are those that did not see anything positive in our offense tonight, I have to question if you understand what you are seeing?

Laying an egg? Well- yes, I guess the backup teams did, but why does that matter? I don't think any team in the history of the NFL actually lost every single starter for the year, so we would never see that team playing in a real game. Heck, cuts will be a little easier.

The first team defense completely dominated. (Carson was out)

First team O drove the ball well- we didn't bother to run Portis, but once (5-6 yard gain, I think)- after he went out, we were running Rock.

Receivers looked good, Brunell looked good (timing perhaps a bit off, but not by much) We were going for big pass plays with the first O and looked good doing it - great throw to Tana, a little long on BL, but he made a great catch (thats why we got the guy), Cooley caught his throw (he only had one?), not quite enough for first down, but a 6 yard gain- and that was it!

Brunell made a mistake- he was trying to throw the ball away, threw off his back foot, and didn't see the defender. If Brunell was known to have problems with alot of turnovers, I would be worried about it. Seeing as he usually protects the ball well, I don't worry.

This game is used by intelligent fans to evaluate our potential weaknesses- what happened with Brunell is not really one of our weaknesses, so this should not be overscrutinized.

Backup O-line players (particularly at the T position) is, so that is what we should be studying in light of this game. I think there started very rough, but got better as the game went on- I hope Buges can develop someone into a reasonable player. I definitely think we should be keeping a close eye on other team's cuts for someone with a change to be a decent backup.

Just because people are frustrated with the coaches or the players makes them fairweather? The last time I checked fans are allowed to get upset after a embarassing loss too. The whole offseason has had a huge buildup that was gonna feature a powerful offense added to our alreadfy stoubt defense. Well alot of fans are disappointed with a long offseason filled with hype. That hype did not carry over and we had a couple of huge injuries to go along with the pain of our team laying an egg tonight.

But this is what I'm pointing out - it's not an "embarrassing loss" - it's an exhibition game that served it's purpose as far as getting players out on the field. How can you say the "hype didn't carry over..." we haven't started yet! Consider everything up to opening night one big practice. I agree the injuries definitely are a cause of pain (or the cause of pain). But the loss itself I can't be upset about.

All is well folks, Portis has almost a month to recover from a mild shoulder seperation. Joe Gibbs still runs this football team. Al Saunders offense is gonna explode when it really counts. Greg williams, well, after what the first string done tonight, all is still good in Redskin land....:applause:

And yes, yes, yes!! Gibbs, Saunders, Williams and team will be ready! HTTR!

Archived