Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trotter and the defense.

Art

I don't think we've had a weakness at defensive line. Look over the Niners game and you'll see the interior line was very, very, very good. The Niners ran a ton when we were in nickel defense over the gap that Arrington created with upfield pocket pressure and they ran a lot of plays designed to go up the gut, but bounced outside, since our corners were deep much of the game.

The linebackers, at this point, are primarily responsible for the poor defense because in Lewis' defense, the linebackers are the ones who are charged with making plays and controlling play. The defensive line has largely done its job in the running game. The linebackers have not really. And, we've been out smarted a bit more than you like, tipping our defensive alignment too early even when the opposition is in a traditional running set and we've been showing pass coverage defense.

I think once the linebackers start to get more and more comfortable with the specifics of the tasks they are asked to carry out, it'll show on the field in a very big way.

Gardener and Wilkinson inside make for a good tandem. Our clear weakness so far on the line has been at DE where Wynn has been all but invisibile and Smith has clearly worn down in games from overuse.

The linebackers and corners are what will make this defense special in the long-run based on the talent, and so far their performances have been spotty to say the least.

There have been breakdowns everywhere.

Whenever I look at Bruce trying to play 30-40 snaps a game at RDE I keep thinking, why hasn't this team made an investment in the DE position in the draft in the past 3 years?

You can't tell me there was always a better player available at some other position.

In 2001 you had what, five picks and only one, #6, was a lineman.

In 2002 you had ten picks and only two, #6 and #7, were linemen.

I just don't think you can make a living in the NFL ignoring some of the most imporrtant positions on the field, while concentrating on finding a backup tailback and your #4 or #5 receiver.

Wynn has actually been pretty good at what he's being told to do. He is holding his ground and playing his position pretty well. He's not going to have dominating individual stats, though, if the backers start doing their job, you'll see he and Bruce both getting a bit more involved than they've been. I don't think you can point to Wynn as being a problem because from what I can tell, he's doing what he's asked to do. Bruce Smith creates a problem when he gets too far upfield, but, teams haven't really exploited that as much as they could when we have an even bigger weakness with Lavar in on running downs and getting gashed from the end spot.

Art

I don't think we've had a weakness at defensive line.

I would say there's been a definate weakness in rushing the QB. We were getting some slight pressure against SF but Plummer and McNabb had ALL DAY to wait on someone to get open in the first two games.

Art or anyone else who read the article, I have a question for ya. That article described Lewis' defensive philosophy which is "spilling" the play to a location on the field where there is more players who can make the tackle, and the article described how Trotter had to do that and it would help stop the run once everyone got the scheme down. So I can understand Trotter's role in that respect.

My question is, what is LaVar's role when he's on the line? Is he supposed to do something like Trotter and try to force the play to a certain place or is he simply trying to rush the QB?

CK,

I don't think any of us will totally know that answer at this point. But, what is clear from the plays where he is at defensive end, he is completely in pass rush responsibility and we are in a nickel defense. As Lewis hinted at in his conversation with George, even when we are in the nickel, we have to recognize run quicker to make better strides to stop it.

But, in these situations, Lavar is pressing hard upfield to create an edge to the passer's pocket. He is not making a move around the offensive tackle. It's clear he's being told with mobile QBs not to run around behind him because it will open up a running lane. So that's why he's doing hand to hand combat instead of trying to blow around a guy. On plays we were in that alignment, Lavar would take a quick upfield rush and the tackle would just nudge him, opening a huge gap to run in, which was exploited becasue we kept lining up Ohalete over there early instead of a backer. Towards the end of the game we started lining up Armstead there and had a couple of plays where Lavar would quickly go to stand up end and Armstead would crash the tackle leaving Lavar free for a tackle.

But, for most of the first half we were just gutted by this. We did adjust it a bit in the third quarter and early fourth. The last drive was base defense for the most part with just seven men in the box at any time.

Ah hah. Well, I certainly hope things turn up. I really wonder what's going on in LA's head right now in terms of attitude. I wonder if he is taking a positive approach or if he's not doing so well. I must admit, going from everyone on your jock and being named the biggest up-and-coming star in the NFL to his performance so far this year has to be a disappointment for him. It's gotta be rough.

After watching the Broncos-Ravens Game on Monday, I have a few questions about our defense:

Are the Raven's still running a defense similar to Lewis?

I ask because R. Lewis was all over the field making plays the entire game. Where is our playmaker? Is this supposed to be LA's role?

Originally posted by StuckinIA

Are the Raven's still running a defense similar to Lewis?

I ask because R. Lewis was all over the field making plays the entire game. Where is our playmaker? Is this supposed to be LA's role?

I'm not entirely sure. I think Mike Nolan (their new D.C., our former D.C. under Norvcus) might be running a bit of the same schemes, but he's also missing Jamie Sharper, who was more Lewis' pass-rusher than Boulware was.

But obviously our field rover is supposed to be Trotter, and that's the way that ML is using Trotter. He's using him to be Ray Lewisesque in that fashion, where he's trying to use him in the "all over the field" schemes, that he used Lewis in.

Personally, I think we would just be better off having a defense that plays to the strength of the talent that we have right now, and just keep it simple in that fashion rather than turn players into people that they're not.

The Ravens are running a 3-4 scheme. But, Mike Nolan's schemes have always been similar to Lewis's. Read and react, funnel everything to the linebackers. Unfortunately, when Nolan was here, our linebackers were a weak spot. On the other hand, our linebackers are supposed to be a strength this year and this scheme is still not working. I do believe, however, this defense will show a marked improvement soon.

Originally posted by Art

I don't think we've had a weakness at defensive line. Look over the Niners game and you'll see the interior line was very, very, very good. The Niners ran a ton when we were in nickel defense over the gap that Arrington created with upfield pocket pressure and they ran a lot of plays designed to go up the gut, but bounced outside, since our corners were deep much of the game.

So who gets the blame for the nonexistent pass rush? Also, the LB's can't be totally at fault when your defense is ranked 30th in rushing yards allowed per game. The entire defense has to be at fault.

Smith,

We've played three games. One was a very bad one where the Niners ran up yards. The Eagles game was a good game, save one big play at the end that should have been stopped in the backfield. The backers are pretty much solely responsible for the plays we have surrendered because they've made the most mistakes.

The pass rush is something that should start to look better as the QBs we face get a tad less mobile (Plummer, Garcia and McNabb are among the league's better players at moving around back in the pocket) and as we continue to get more sure of our assignments throughout the lineup. As Seau said on NFL2Night, when you have a scheme in place that allows you (a player) to line up and play without thinking, then you have a great scheme in place because the players can just play.

Here, we may have a great scheme in place, but out players aren't able to just play yet. Each game will get a little better and the improvement will appear a little more visible, but, right now, we're still thinking through our assignments, and in Marvin's defense, if one guy is slow to do his job, we'll struggle.

Archived