Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Once a Redskin, you're a Redskin for LIFE!

bubba9497

I think this is the biggest conception among fans. What makes the players "Redskins" was the fact that they won here. If Riggins had stayed retired...or the team had not played in two Super Bowls with him, it's entirely possible that he would be best remembered as a Jet and would currently be running Riggins' Bar and Grill in Flushing right now.

Same with any of the guys from the Gibbs Era. They are linked to Gibbs and to each other, and the reason they are linked to each other is because they were so darn good. You notice that we rarely get excited when Cris Dishman comes to town.

Obviously, if you played your whole career with a team, that's the team that you remember. But most players remember where they had the most fun...and winning is almost always the most fun. Unless there are copious amounts of cocaine involved.

Wilbur Marshall is a weird case study. I wonder what team he associates with more in his own mind, because he was a star on two teams that won it all. I'm sure he's still beloved in Chicago too.

I always wonder that about Charles Haley as well.

That's a heck of a thread idea, by the way. Players that were "stars" with two Super Bowl winning franchises.

Matt Millen may be the person to ask. He won titles in 4 cities - Oakland, LA, San Fran, and Washington.

This begs a question...

waht player has LEFT the Skins to play for naother team that you still consider a Redskin for life...

I'll start...

Monk

Gary Clark,

Ricky Sanders

Rypien

Schroeder

Brian Mitchell

Charles Mann

Mark Mosely

Have I left any out?

Jeff George?

Danny Wuerful anyone?

I think this is the biggest conception among fans. What makes the players "Redskins" was the fact that they won here. If Riggins had stayed retired...or the team had not played in two Super Bowls with him' date=' it's entirely possible that he would be best remembered as a Jet and would currently be running Riggins' Bar and Grill in Flushing right now.

Same with any of the guys from the Gibbs Era. They are linked to Gibbs and to each other, and the reason they are linked to each other is because they were so darn good. You notice that we rarely get excited when Cris Dishman comes to town.

Obviously, if you played your whole career with a team, that's the team that you remember. But most players remember where they had the most fun...and winning is almost always the most fun. Unless there are copious amounts of cocaine involved.

Wilbur Marshall is a weird case study. I wonder what team he associates with more in his own mind, because he was a star on two teams that won it all. I'm sure he's still beloved in Chicago too.

That's a heck of a thread idea, by the way. Players that were "stars" with two Super Bowl winning franchises.

Matt Millen may be the person to ask. He won titles in 4 cities - Oakland, LA, San Fran, and Washington.[/quote']

You make some very good points.

Look at a player like Trent Dilfer...he was a miserable QB with the Bucs but actually won a SB with the Ravens, then was sent packing. Considering he had no good seasons anywhere else, he probably doens't really identify himself with any team but just that one season with the ravens.

Ernest Byner was a long time Brown...he had the heartbreaking "fumble" in Denver but still helped the Browns to 3 AFC Championships. Didn't he even hold some position with the Browns/Ravens in their personal? But he WON the Super Bowl here. I wonder which team he most identifies himself with as a player.

Marcus Allen...his best days were in LA/Oakland...but he did score his 100th with the Chiefs...I forget wether he is in the HOF yet, but it seem slike I remember him thinking of or going in as a Chief.

Marcus Allen...his best days were in LA/Oakland...but he did score his 100th with the Chiefs...I forget wether he is in the HOF yet, but it seem slike I remember him thinking of or going in as a Chief.

Football players don't "go in" to the Hall of Fame with a team. That only happens in baseball because the player has to choose a hat for his plaque. John Riggins is not in the Hall of Fame as a Redskin. He is in as John Riggins.

As for Allen, if I recall correctly, he had an ugly falling out with the Raiders before he left. They thought he was finished and he - rightly - thought otherwise. I'm not sure if he is still involved with the team or not.

I've talked to a few former players over the years, and nearly to a man, they don't feel any love for the franchises they played for. (Granted, a lot of these guys played before the 80s and were treated like chattel in their view). But they all remember the locker room.

In your Dilfer example, I imagine being in the locker room after the Super Bowl is a much better memory than being anywhere else.

Of course, the Ravens ran him out of town after that so he may be bitter.

I was watching NFL LIve last night and it got me to thinking about Mark Schlereth...he was a memeber of the "Later Hogs" being 1991 and won a Super Bowl but then went to Denver and won 2 with the Broncos. I wonder who his loyalties are to. Both teams were dominant with great coaches, fans, etc.

My guess is a little towards the Broncose since he won 2. Plus blocking for Terrell Davis seems much more prestigious than blocking for Byner/Riggs.

I was watching NFL LIve last night and it got me to thinking about Mark Schlereth...he was a memeber of the "Later Hogs" being 1991 and won a Super Bowl but then went to Denver and won 2 with the Broncos. I wonder who his loyalties are to. Both teams were dominant with great coaches, fans, etc.

My guess is a little towards the Broncose since he won 2. Plus blocking for Terrell Davis seems much more prestigious than blocking for Byner/Riggs.

Did you know that he is a tough guy and had 185 knee surgeries? Football is a tough game and you have to be willing to hit someone in the mouth. He hit people in the mouth because he was tough. It's a game for tough guys after all. And his name was Stink. He was tough.

I think this is the biggest conception among fans. What makes the players "Redskins" was the fact that they won here. If Riggins had stayed retired...or the team had not played in two Super Bowls with him' date=' it's entirely possible that he would be best remembered as a Jet and would currently be running Riggins' Bar and Grill in Flushing right now.

Matt Millen may be the person to ask. He won titles in 4 cities - Oakland, LA, San Fran, and Washington.[/quote']

Wow. Great points.

The thing that gets me about this "True Redskin" stuff is that true Redskins are coming fewer and fewer. To me, Darrell Green was probably the last of them. I would have cried if i would have seen him in another uniform. That to me makes you a True Redskin. When the fans still welcome you to RFK and now Fedex field even after you leave is special. ;)

I thought Lavar was going to be our next Darrell, way off. I also thought while he was here Smoot was a true Redskin. It's harder and harder to have players like that in todays NFL. What current players do you see down the line being that type of player you'd always look at as a true Redskin. I'd have to start on our o-line with Jansen & hopefully Samuels.

Alot of deserving names being thrown around but am surprised that Dexter Manley has been mentioned only once and almost in passing. Despite leaving to play with the Bucs and Cards, he always was and always will bleed burgundy and gold. He loves the team, the city, and mostly the fans. He has stated in all seriousness that he wants to be burried at RFK. Obviously I'm a little biased but I put Dexter up there with the most deserving of the "Redskin for Life" title: Darrell Green.

I thought Lavar was going to be our next Darrell, way off. I also thought while he was here Smoot was a true Redskin. It's harder and harder to have players like that in todays NFL. What current players do you see down the line being that type of player you'd always look at as a true Redskin. I'd have to start on our o-line with Jansen & hopefully Samuels.

I definitely thought that Lavar was the next one as well. But oh well I guess that proves that hine sight is 20/20. I definitely can see both Jansen and Samuels potentially being the next ones because both of them were with this team through some pretty rough seasons (Spurrier, Marty, etc.) and they shined and they deserve to be successful with this team. So, I buy your observation.

I definitely thought that Lavar was the next one as well. But oh well I guess that proves that hine sight is 20/20. I definitely can see both Jansen and Samuels potentially being the next ones because both of them were with this team through some pretty rough seasons (Spurrier, Marty, etc.) and they shined and they deserve to be successful with this team. So, I buy your observation.

I've long since accepted the fact that none of the players on this team are likely to retire as Redskins. It just doesn't happen anymore. I fully expect Clinton Portis to be in, like, Cleveland in 2010.

The key is not to appreciate loyalty to the team - which doesn't exist - but hard work. The players that really try are the ones fans should respect. Portis fits that bill because he absolutely kills himself during the season. Chris Samuels...your mileage may vary.

Man, it's gonna be hard to stay with one team for more than 10 years unless you are a franchise QB like Peyton or Favre. But with the way free agency is nowadays, it's pretty much a given that they will wear more than 1 uni.

Archived