Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What teams did the season BEFORE they won the Super Bowl

FunBunch7

I wanted to see where teams came from as far as wins go, the season before they won the Super Bowl. These numbers are based on wins/losses since the NFL went to a 16 game regular season. I threw out the strike years as there were 9 games and 15 games respectively in those seasons.

Here is the number of times a team finished with the following record, AND THEN won the Super Bowl the next season:

15-1.....1 time

14-2.....2 times

13-3.....2 times

12-4.....4 times

11-5.....2 times

10-6................6 times

9-7......3 times

8-8......2 times

6-10.....1 time

5-11.....1 time

4-12.....1 time

You can clearly see, that MOST Super Bowl Champions were 10-6 the year before they won the Super Bowl.

That just makes me feel kind of good.

We were one of those teams in...in 1990 we were 10-6, lost a divisioanl game on the west coast, then won the Super Bowl in 1991.

I wanted to see where teams came from as far as wins go, the season before they won the Super Bowl. These numbers are based on wins/losses since the NFL went to a 16 game regular season. I threw out the strike years as there were 9 games and 15 games respectively in those seasons.

Here is the number of times a team finished with the following record, AND THEN won the Super Bowl the next season:

15-1.....1 time

14-2.....2 times

13-3.....2 times

12-4.....4 times

11-5.....2 times

10-6................6 times

9-7......3 times

8-8......2 times

6-10.....1 time

5-11.....1 time

4-12.....1 time

You can clearly see, that MOST Super Bowl Champions were 10-6 the year before they won the Super Bowl.

That just makes me feel kind of good.

We were one of those teams in...in 1990 we were 10-6, lost a divisioanl game on the west coast, then won the Super Bowl in 1991.

Can we see history repeating itself? I hope so!

Wow! I never though of thinking about what a team record was the season before they won a Superbowl.

That makes this infomation more interesting.

You look up all that information yourself? It's amazing the information you can get on this board.

As for 10-6 teams last year:

Washington Redskins

New England Patriots

Kansas City Chiefs

Each year I buy the updated NFL Record and fact book...$20 at Barnes and Noble...this year ben Rothlisberger is on the cover...very good book to have, I highly recomend.

each of the Redskins Super Bowl teams presented themselves in different ways.

the 1982 team built off an 8-3 finish in 1981 but really gave us no prior indication that the club would be that efficient in winning close games at home and on the road en route to the best record in the NFC.

the 1983 team at 14-2 was also a bit of a surprise. more perhaps to those outside of Washington, who hadn't yet taken the measure of Gibbs as a coach or of the offensive line or other key players that would be the core of the team for 10 years.

the 1987 team built off of a 12-4 finish in 1986 where the club lost 0-17 in the NFC title game. in fact the Redskins were in all likelihood the second best team in the NFL that year as 3 of the team's 4 losses were to the eventual champion Giants.

the 1991 team fed off a playoff appearance in 1990 and divisional round loss to the 49ers, a game where Joe Montana just hit on every pass in every key situation. the team needed to get the homefield advantage and needed Mark Rypien to step up and make the plays in the postseason in 1991 that he didn't make in 1990.

the 2006 team is likewise building off a 10-6 record and divisional round playoff appearance. the one characteristic of the NFC in 2006 is that for the first time in Gibbs' career it is the OTHER conference, the AFC, that appears to have the stable of top teams. while Carolina and Seattle are solid as are the Giants and Bears, none are dominant teams.

THAT more than anything perhaps has Gibbs in position to get that fourth ring :)

Archived