Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Dawkins

Golgo-13

If I'm not mistaken (which I have known to be in the past) Mr. Brain Dawkins is a FA after this year. There are rumors about him wanting a good-sized payday and Philly maybe being hesitent to give him one, etc. Just out of curiosity, seeing that safety is a big need for us and Dawkins being one of the best in the game, what would you guys think about picking him up? He could be a good pickup, but I would hope that they would think about it more than they did with Trotter and make the right decision. If they aren't going to use him in a way that fits his talents, don't pick him up. Thoughts...

Dawkins is under contract through the 2003 season. His agent is working on a contract extension, but it may be hindered by McNabb's huge signing.

The fact that he is considered the heart and soul of the Philly defense makes his re-signing paramount to the Eagles. They will extend his contract when money is available, and have two seasons in which to do it.

The Eagles have a good core of defensive guys coming up for renewal by the end of 2003. Mostly the DB's and Hugh Douglas. Hugh will probably get most of the attention first, since we are thin on the DL and don't really have any backup ends that we're bringing along to replace him...the strategy with Trotter was that Gardner would eventually take his job, but Trotter kept improving each season ahead of Gardner and we ended up backfilling with Kirkland.

I think Hugh will be the next to see an extension, but the DB's may slide...the Eagles did draft 3 DB's in the first two rounds! They may have designs on letting a few go since they feel that there might be enough good depth there, but probably not Dawkins for reasons stated above.

Trotter was a very good player for the Eagles defense, easily the 2000 MVP. He had a solid 2001, but I think his teammates voted him MVP more for solidarity. His contract was up and they wanted to give him more of an edge in negotiations.

I really think that Reid saw his disappearing act in the NFC championship game during the third quarter. Marshall Faulk ran all over the Eagles and Trotter was no where to be found. Although Reid would have loved to have Trotter back, it all became personal. He wanted Ray Lewis money, but didn't take over a game, as Lewis could. As franchise player, he would have made $5.5 million this year. The Skins are paying him $5 million, but with the signing bonus. Reid decided to cut his losses and hope that the MLB could be replaced. The jury is still out, but answers may be forthcoming this week if Fred Taylor is healthy for Jacksonville.

Trotter should become a decent player for the Redskins, but he's not Lewis and he's not even Arrington. He won't be the heart and soul of the Redskins, nor was he of the Eagles. An intregal part nonethless, and a good aquisition in the long run.

The Eagles defensive backfield of Vincent, Taylor, and Dawkins have played together for 6-7 years. Their familiarity with each other's playing style make them the prime movers of the Eagles defense. Though Vincent was beaten twice yesterday, Dawkins and Taylor covered for him with INTs, fumble recoveries, sacks and TDs (mostly from Dawkins). They are getting up there in years and salary, so changes may happen soon, as EagleRob stated. Vincent has talked about moving to safety in a couple of years.

Stewart Scott reported on SportsCenter that Dawkins was quoted as saying (para) that he was happy for McNabb but hoped their would be enough money left for him.

Take it with a block of salt coming from Stewart Scott, but interesting nonetheless.

I think the Iggles see Dawkins as expendable after next year.

amen bulldog...

we need to stop looking at FA's as the road to glory. we need to develop from within and then keep the talent we develop. our FO needs to get their heads out of their a$$es and limit the number of big names we bring in so that we have cash to spend on our hometown, homegrown guys.

The Eagles won't let Dawkins go. He is arguably the best Safety in the League and is without a doubt the biggest impact player they have on defense. People might argue that Hugh Douglas is the biggest impact player, and sacks are great for a D, but Dawk brings the ability to rush the passer, stuff the run, cause fumbles with big hits, play coverage in the secondary and roam as a 'center-fielder.' He's the complete package and there is no way the Eagles will let him go.

Chances are that Dawkins and Douglas will be the next to sign extensions, which probably means that the rest of our secondary will be shuffled in the near future. My guess would be that Taylor and Harris (and possibly Bishop) will be gone within the next few seasons to make way for this year's draft picks (unless Taylor can rework his contract). I would hate to see Taylor go, but he's not as well rounded a Corner as Vincent is and his contract is pretty astronomical after next season.

So, while it is true that you all would love to have a player like Dawkins become available to fill your gaping hole at the safety position, I wouldn't hold your breath.

:pint:

I'm with Stink (for once) on this one. I think that's the course the FO's headed on. I think Douglas first, given our need on the DL and the fact that 5.5 more sacks this season will void his final year, the 2003 season. So we might see that one within a few weeks. Dawk's can wait until the offseason.

It's pretty well been covered by the other Eagles fans already, and like you ERob, I agree with Stinknugget (what's with the handle though??). One thing I will completely commend the Eagles on is cap management. A lot of people call them cheap, but they know what they are doing. And Smoot... keep dreaming there buddy. Dawkins isn't even a FA this year. He's signed through 2003 and I have little doubt that a deal will get done before the end of the 2003 season. He is the heart and soul of the D and the best Safety in the league. There'd be a massive riot in Philly if he was let go next year.

Hugh Douglas was really a nice signing for the Eagles. Didn't know that much about him when he came from the Jets... but I have come to value guys like him and LaRoi Glover with high motors and the ability to consistently generate a pass rush and never quit on a play even if they don't have a chance to make the play.

New-found respect for those guys. Unfortunately, they're in short supply. And the Skins never seem to identify these types of players.

Archived