Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Geographically Appropriate Team Names

Beauty is Only

and on a side note why do some teams have a name of a state(New York jets/giants)and some have a name of a city(miami dolphins) and some have a name of a region(New England pats). And then there is the washington redskins in a district. :whoknows:

Well not to be a smart*ss but New York is also the name of a city. I would imagine that when the Maras and Hesses founded their teams they didn't see much advantage to naming the teams the New York City Jets or Giants, considering a) no other professional team in NYC makes the distinction and B) why alienate the upstate crowd?

As far as the regional or state names (Arizona and Minnesota come to mind), I think it has to do with smaller market teams trying to appeal to as broad a geographic audience as possible. Hence the Carolina Panthers, who try to get the Raleigh-Durham, Columbia, Charleston, etc. crowd by calling the team Carolina instead of Charlotte.

More NFL name thoughts ...

Cincinnati Bengals. There a healthy bengal tiger population in that part of Ohio? Never quite got the reference, if there even is one. If they were really proud of their city's heritage (and had brass balls), they'd call themselves the Queens.

I think the Bengals fit at the time because Paul Brown started his second team and wanted the colors to be almost the same as the Browns. So he chose Bengals (black and Orange). This is just a guess on my part.

the texans have the worst logo in the nfl hands down.

You're kidding, right?

The Texans' logo is a decent one. Its fairly modern and works decently.

The Giants probably have the most boring logo (and no, I don't say this because they're in our division... San Francisco and Green Bay is pretty plain jane too... The Browns are even worse....)

Teams names that are geographically stupid (I'll stick to just football, there are plenty): Jacksonville Jaguars, Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers (in a state w/ the biggest energy problems), Detroit Lions, Arizona Cardinals, Cincinatti Bengals, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills (only works w/ the city name, what is a bill?, they are really the buffalo buffalos).

Cleveland Browns, while it is one of the dumbest team names in all of sports, is appropriate though. Brown is a drab, plain, unimpressive color. The city of Cleveland (yes, I have been there) is the same way. The franchise has been doomed to those words: drab, plain, and unimpressive.

Actually, I lived in Florida for 7 yrs and the Southern Jaguar is a native cat in the FL everglades. The name of the Buffalo BIlls is a knockoff of Wild bill Cody. The Titans are because in Nashville (I lived in TN for 8 yrs) the main government building looks like the Parthanon and the 3 stars around the "T" are for the 3 parts of TN (east, central, west) like on the flag.

I can't speak for the Bengals, Cardinals (started in Chicago because of their jerseys--cardinal red) or the Lions.

Wow, I thought I was the only geek to pick up on the Raven's Edgar Allen Poe background. You probably couldn't find a dozen actual Raven's fans that know that.

actually geek, i believe they had a contest in baltimore to name the team and a lot of people liked the name ravens for this very reason. My gfs family (18 aunts/uncles + 14 cousins etc) are all ravens fans and are quite aware where the naming of their favorite team came from. (thats more than a dozen)

actually geek, i believe they had a contest in baltimore to name the team and a lot of people liked the name ravens for this very reason. My gfs family (18 aunts/uncles + 14 cousins etc) are all ravens fans and are quite aware where the naming of their favorite team came from. (thats more than a dozen)

Wow. You can read AND count!!

Well not to be a smart*ss but New York is also the name of a city. I would imagine that when the Maras and Hesses founded their teams they didn't see much advantage to naming the teams the New York City Jets or Giants, considering a) no other professional team in NYC makes the distinction and B) why alienate the upstate crowd?

As far as the regional or state names (Arizona and Minnesota come to mind), I think it has to do with smaller market teams trying to appeal to as broad a geographic audience as possible. Hence the Carolina Panthers, who try to get the Raleigh-Durham, Columbia, Charleston, etc. crowd by calling the team Carolina instead of Charlotte.

the jets rep nyc, the gnats rep the state of ny and the bills rep buffalo.

I always thought the Calgary Flames was funny. Not because its inappropriate, but because of why they're named the Flames. The originated in Atlanta, which, of course, is famous for being burned to a crisp by Sherman. Talk about making lemonade. :laugh:

I believe if a team moves the should HAVE to change their names - unless it somehow fits. The only team ever to move and have a perfect fit was the Minnesota North Stars moving to Dallas (though they dropped the North for obvious reasons).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Om

More NFL name thoughts ...

Cincinnati Bengals. There a healthy bengal tiger population in that part of Ohio? Never quite got the reference, if there even is one. If they were really proud of their city's heritage (and had brass balls), they'd call themselves the Queens.

I think the Bengals fit at the time because Paul Brown started his second team and wanted the colors to be almost the same as the Browns. So he chose Bengals (black and Orange). This is just a guess on my part.

I actually think the orgin of the Bengals' name comes from the fact that at the time the team was created the Cinicinnati Zoo was one of, if not the only, zoo in America to actually have Bengal tigers in captivity. The name was picked by the fans in a contest....I believe.

Why not change it back to "Oilers"? It's obviously an appropriate and historical name. Or maybe, ala the Buffalo franchise, the "Houston Sams"?

I always thought the Oilers was the worst name ever. At least that stupid Oil Rig is the worst logo EVER, imho.

I kinda like the Texans, I can see why people would think its stupid, but it rings classic with me and they have a real clean nice look to their uniforms - something not always achieved with expansion teams these days.

I also have a soft spot for Texans fans because they have almost as many Anti-Cowboy websites as Redskins fans to :laugh:

I woulda liked the Bullets to have taken the name "Wildcats"

Washington Wildcats has a nice ring to it.

Minutemen would have been another good one. I even liked the DC Dragons idea kinda, especially since MCI is in Chinatown.

Wizards is only good when said, The Washington Basketball Wizards, like how the NY Giants used to do with Football.

Wiz has grown on me, but I still don't understand how it won out.

Wildcats has such a nice ring to it and no pro team uses it.

Wiz has grown on me, but I still don't understand how it won out.

Wildcats has such a nice ring to it and no pro team uses it.

Wizards didn't win out in my opinion and maybe a lot of others. It was the handpicked favorite of Abe "I'm still living in the 70's with Al Davis" Pollin.

Archived