Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vic Carucci Random Thoughts JC blurb

Isifhan

While I disagree with Carucci's speculation that JC's career may never gain traction thanks to the new offense (he had the same thing happen at Auburn and he still ended up leading his team to an undefeated season), I do agree that this should be the last season of excuses for not playing him.

He'll be 25 at the end of this season. The training wheels need to come off next season and JC has to be given a chance to sink or swim sooner rather than later.

No matter how hard you try, there would be zero justification for not playing a guy you invested a 1st round draft pick in after 3 seasons in the league.........unless the guy can't play.......and then we'd be in real trouble.

:2cents:

CARUCCI -

What a maroon. JC's career "may NEVER gain traction"?

Carucci is acting like a high school girl who just found out her parents aren't going to give her the exact sweet sixteen party she wanted. "Now I'll NEVER be popular!"

Thank GOD Saunders wants to bring JC along slowly. Marinate him in that sauce, he'll just be that much sweeter and spicier when he's ready. Nor does bringing JC along slowly imply that he won't play soon (and I consider any time up until Opening Day 2007 to be soon).

Frankly, NFL QB's have a very special kind of career-clock. Carucci is being silly in overlooking the possibility that even if nothing happens with JC in DC (a 99% impossibilty in my mind), he could still have a wonderful career. Many wonderful QB's have had their careers really take off in their late 20's and even early 30's.

SCRUFFYLOOKIN' -

gotta disagree with you on a few fronts here...

While I disagree with Carucci's speculation that JC's career may never gain traction thanks to the new offense (he had the same thing happen at Auburn and he still ended up leading his team to an undefeated season), I do agree that this should be the last season of excuses for not playing him.

So...

The "last" season of "excuses"?

It's not even the formal beginning of the SECOND season for JC. "Last" implies some interminable wait, which simply is not the case. And "excuses"? Joe Gibbs repeatedly, knowingly taking his time (usually 2 seasons before substantial PT) to educate his quarterbacks with consitently good results is "excuses"? I'm dying to hear one "excuse" that has been made for JC's status other than the perfectly acceptable (in my mind) desire to give the pupil time while having a more-than-capable and wise veteran starter help him along.

He'll be 25 at the end of this season. The training wheels need to come off next season and JC has to be given a chance to sink or swim sooner rather than later.

More dramatic doom and gloom. So he'll be 25. As if that's old for an NFL quarterback. I agree the training wheels should come off next season because I believe that would be the natural progression, not because of some invented typically-current results-now mentality. The wheels will come off, and they will come off without drama- Joe Gibbs style. The JC we will see this preseason is gonna blow last preseason's away, and the same thing will happen next preseason, when JC will be our formal starter and will take us to the elite level as a team. Oh yeah, and he'll still be 25 at the beginning of that season, putting us in a fantastic and enviable position.

No matter how hard you try, there would be zero justification for not playing a guy you invested a 1st round draft pick in after 3 seasons in the league.........unless the guy can't play.......and then we'd be in real trouble.

Who would try to justify not playing him after THREE seasons? Nobody.

He's been here for ONE. Calm down with the "unless the guy can't play" stuff. That's wild conjecture at best- unnecessarily and deeply cynical at worst.

As always, HTTR one and all,

peace-

nomad

I don't think Chad Pennington started until his 3rd or 4th year. Seems like more and more quarterbacks are being groomed to start in their 2nd season. And even then, you have to wonder if their development is accelerated simply because these players earned $20M signing bonuses.

In other situations, low-round picks have started earlier because of different circumstances... where the incumbent starter was simply ineffective and the team had nothing to lose.

Fortunately, the Redskins aren't in either of those situations at the moment. So what's the rush? Is it as simple as "draft status"?

I don't think Chad Pennington started until his 3rd or 4th year. Seems like more and more quarterbacks are being groomed to start in their 2nd season. And even then, you have to wonder if their development is accelerated simply because these players earned $20M signing bonuses.

In other situations, low-round picks have started earlier because of different circumstances... where the incumbent starter was simply ineffective and the team had nothing to lose.

Fortunately, the Redskins aren't in either of those situations at the moment. So what's the rush? Is it as simple as "draft status"?

You've hit it on the nose, Die Hard. Any reasonable analysis of the situation would yield an all-is-well assesment. As you mentioned, neither is our incumbent starter ineffective nor do we have nothing to lose.

So it must be that because we traded picks to get JC in the First Round, some sort of strange desperation to validate our move as quickly as possible kicks in.

I would take any bet that stated the doom-and-gloomers would be happier in the long run with a stud quarterback who could consistently perform as a result of having the time to learn, than they would be with a raw talent who would probably take them on a wild roller coaster ride.

Then again, some people really like roller coasters.

peace -

nomad

So, the guy learns 4 offenses in college and leads his team to an undefeated season in his last year--but will be unable to do anything as a pro since he had to sit on the bench for one season--yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

that's what i was thinking.... since when does a guy's obvious ability to learn a new scheme in a relatively short period of time become a liability? that makes no sense at all.

i hope it will be 2 seasons on the bench, because that means brunell is healthy and we are in the playoffs again.:point2sky

SCRUFFYLOOKIN' -

gotta disagree with you on a few fronts here...

So...

The "last" season of "excuses"?

It's not even the formal beginning of the SECOND season for JC. "Last" implies some interminable wait, which simply is not the case. And "excuses"? Joe Gibbs repeatedly, knowingly taking his time (usually 2 seasons before substantial PT) to educate his quarterbacks with consitently good results is "excuses"? I'm dying to hear one "excuse" that has been made for JC's status other than the perfectly acceptable (in my mind) desire to give the pupil time while having a more-than-capable and wise veteran starter help him along.nomad

Good catch. Poor choice of words on my part. I didn't expect JC to play last year. While I hoped he'd be given a shot to win the job this year, I'm at peace with Brunell for one more season. So you're right, there have not been "excuses" up until now. I do believe that a guy that you thought that much of that you invest a 1st round pick in him, should be ready to play in his 3rd season. If not, there is a problem IMHO.

More dramatic doom and gloom. So he'll be 25. As if that's old for an NFL quarterback. I agree the training wheels should come off next season because I believe that would be the natural progression, not because of some invented typically-current results-now mentality. The wheels will come off, and they will come off without drama- Joe Gibbs style. The JC we will see this preseason is gonna blow last preseason's away, and the same thing will happen next preseason, when JC will be our formal starter and will take us to the elite level as a team. Oh yeah, and he'll still be 25 at the beginning of that season, putting us in a fantastic and enviable position.nomad

I think we're in agreement. The 25 thing is just to illustrate that he should be entering his "prime" physically for a football player. Physically, he should be ready for the rigors of a 16 game season.

But also, my concern is that JC will get frustrated that he's not playing since he may feel that he's "not getting any younger" and he may sour on the Skins. Is this premature and a little "doom and gloom", perhaps. Didn't mean to bring anyone else down, just allow me to live in my own private misery. :silly:

Who would try to justify not playing him after THREE seasons? Nobody.

He's been here for ONE. Calm down with the "unless the guy can't play" stuff. That's wild conjecture at best- unnecessarily and deeply cynical at worst.

As always, HTTR one and all,

peace-

nomad

I think you and I are on the same page. I'm a huge JC backer.

I do fear that if Brunell has another "solid" season, some will argue "How can he lose his job when he played so well?" yet again next season.

I believe JC can play and believe he will elevate this team when he's finally put in there. The whole "unless the guy can't play" line was said by me as the only reason I can "live with" if he's not our starter in 2007.

Saunders will be here for a while, I'm not worried about Campbell ever needing to learn another offense.

actually, with the amount of attention saunders recieved from the raiders in terms of HC, its almost inevitable that he will be gone by the end of the year.

]']actually' date=' with the amount of attention saunders recieved from the raiders in terms of HC, its almost inevitable that he will be gone by the end of the year.[/quote']

Sorry, but I'm not tracking you here. You've heard Saunders say that it's his "final stop" as an NFL coach. He's getting paid more than many NFL head coaches are. Danny just want on a spending spree and got him more toys to tinker with than any other coodinator not named Tom Moore (and, since Edge left Indy, he may not be an exception, either). He's not even been here ONE FREAKING YEAR and you're already speculating about head coaching possibilities?

Dude, not every coach has happy feet like Larry Brown. If you're making bank, you like the area & the independence you have under a CEO-type head coach, you have success & everybody thinks you're great, why would you leave? Seriously?

i hope it will be 2 seasons on the bench, because that means brunell is healthy and we are in the playoffs again.:point2sky

Question for everyone: If this season ends like we hope (w/a Superbowl trophy), and Brunnell stays healthy for all the games (or even most of them), do you still throw the starting QB position up for grabs next year? And risk changing chemistry, tempo, play calling, etc.

This is a scenario that we'd all love to think about, I would hope.:D

:point2sky

But also, my concern is that JC will get frustrated that he's not playing since he may feel that he's "not getting any younger" and he may sour on the Skins. Is this premature and a little "doom and gloom", perhaps. Didn't mean to bring anyone else down, just allow me to live in my own private misery. :silly:

Oh, fine, you're allowed! :silly:

Go Mark B, Go JC, Go Skins!

peace-

nomad

Archived