Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

tom rouen

rick1796

i know we don't need every guy that gets cut, but though not spectacular he is consistant, and really that's what i want more than anything from our punter. I guess give lonie and frost a chance, but i would be keeping a close eye on suiters for rouen just in case. i will take a 41 yard average as long as it don't include 17 yard shanks :P just a thought for everyone.

ya ya vet min blah blah blah :D

i know we don't need every guy that gets cut, but though not spectacular he is consistant, and really that's what i want more than anything from our punter. I guess give lonie and frost a chance, but i would be keeping a close eye on suiters for rouen just in case. i will take a 41 yard average as long as it don't include 17 yard shanks :P just a thought for everyone.

ya ya vet min blah blah blah :D

Frost is not good. We need a punter who can pooch it and be consistent. If Rouen has proven to be good at these things, we should take a look at him.

He was great against us in the playoffs. If he had punted against the Steelers the way he punted against us, Seattle would be the superbowl champions right now. The only difference was that we were starting our first bunch of drives from inside our own 5 yard line and the Steelers were starting at the 20.

how is lonie doing??? does anybody know. There was a lot of hype about him in an article i read on redskins.com is there any more information on him?

Here's something I read the other day:

Special teams coach Danny Smith was as fired up as anyone, yelling about an illegal block during a punting drill. A bit later on he became much quieter as he keenly watched David Lonie and then Derrick Frost field simulated taking field goal snaps from a JUGS machine. In the dozen or so time each of them handled a snap they were both up to the standard of an NFL holder, meaning that they were flawless. If you’re looking for a small edge in the punter competition between the two, give it to Lonie. If he can handle the holding duties, that’s one more reason for Smith to give the incumbent Frost the boot (so to speak).

http://redskins.scout.com/2/540282.html

Was not impressed with Frost at all last year - although I think he put a hit on someone to save a return for a td. I love seeing a punter lay a hit on someone but that's obviously not the most important thing. If Lonie's consistent, then I see no reason why he shouldn't be our guy. I thought of Rouen too when I saw he was released but hopefully we have who we need.

On the subject of anger towards kickers, I am still upset with Hall for missing that field goal against Seattle that would've made the game 20-13 and given us momentum. Seeing as how our defense held on Seattle's posession, it would've given us a fighting chance.

John Hall has not played a complete and consistent season for us in years. I hope we really push him this year.

The problem with Tom Rouen is that he's getting a little long in the tooth and tends to wear down towards the end of the season. I remember a pretty poor punt in either the NFC Championship game or the Stupor Bowl.

My understanding is that Frost is a really physically gifted punter/athlete. His deficiency has been on the psychological front. He obsesses over bad punts and he loses his concentration. This is typical with most younger kickers and punters. The reality is that kicking the ball is almost entirely mechanical in a way that a golf swing is. It's the pressure of the situation that causes some players to screw up their mechanics. In fact the majority of all kickers have to fail and be cut at least once before they develop the mental toughness to make the kick when the game is on the line. Don't forget the Skins cut David Akers before he signed with the iggles.

I think the team feels that if Frost can get his head screwed on straight all of the time, he'll be a very good NFL punter.

The problem with Tom Rouen is that he's getting a little long in the tooth and tends to wear down towards the end of the season. I remember a pretty poor punt in either the NFC Championship game or the Stupor Bowl.

punters and kickers can last into their 40's. Everyone loved Tom Tup and he was near 40 when he kicked for us.

Archived