Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor question

Dallsux

I have a question. Both Taylor & Gibbs fielded a question after today's mini-camp about what the League may do regarding Taylor's legal situation. Can someone help me out with this? What, if anything, should we expect from the League in this case? Are they concerned about a suspension or a fine? I have not had access to ES for quite a few days due to computer problems so if I missed this already, I apologize. Please don't lambaste me, just answer the ****in' question.

:D

I'm expecting a 1 or at the most 2 game suspension. You could already sense, that he's going to whine if the NFL suspends him. In the interview, when asked this question he stated "I don't know what the NFL is gonna do...I don't see what they should do." As a Redskin fan, I hate to admit it, but I think he should do atleast a 1 game suspension. If most of us were convicted of assault, we'd lose far more.

What I don't understand is why they would get involved at all. What "happened" took place OFF-season & never had anything to do with the League at all. I mean, if this was the spitting incident or if he had some sort of personal issue with another player on another team, then MAYBE I could understand, but why they feel the need to get involved seems weird to me. I hadn't even thought about it until I saw the 2 interviews & thought, "what an odd question."

according to league rules for standards they have to give 1game supension for pleding guilty to a criminal offense.

Really? Wow, I didn't know that. Well, hopefully it's only a 1 game suspension then, because I would hate for him to miss the DallAss game!

What I don't understand is why they would get involved at all. What "happened" took place OFF-season & never had anything to do with the League at all. I mean, if this was the spitting incident or if he had some sort of personal issue with another player on another team, then MAYBE I could understand, but why they feel the need to get involved seems weird to me. I hadn't even thought about it until I saw the 2 interviews & thought, "what an odd question."

Don't get me wrong here, as a Redskin fan, nothing would make me happier than to see him suit up on opening day. That would be the best thing for our team, because Sean is a DOMINATING player, that scares other teams players to death...that's obvious as much as people drop would-be catches around him, and that's great.

However, I just can't get past the fact that many of us would lose our jobs, and reputations if we were convicted of a crime. Athletes in general need to know, that this kind of behavior isn't going to be tolerated from them just because America loves it's sports, and they get paid millions to toss a ball around. Everybody needs to ask themselves, what would happen TO ME if I was convicted of assault...and then re-evaluate the situation.

Don't get me wrong here, as a Redskin fan, nothing would make me happier than to see him suit up on opening day. That would be the best thing for our team, because Sean is a DOMINATING player, that scares other teams players to death...that's obvious as much as people drop would-be catches around him, and that's great.

However, I just can't get past the fact that many of us would lose our jobs, and reputations if we were convicted of a crime. Athletes in general need to know, that this kind of behavior isn't going to be tolerated from them just because America loves it's sports, and they get paid millions to toss a ball around. Everybody needs to ask themselves, what would happen TO ME if I was convicted of assault...and then re-evaluate the situation.

I understand where you are coming from. Believe me, I feel ya. There are many MANY people who I have said the exact same thing about. But we aren't talking about laws of the land, but rules & exceptions of the NFL. There really isn't any re-evaluating to do. Whether we like the situation as it is or not, it is what it is. All we can do is move on & try to put it behind us. I, personally, like the kid. Yes, he has had his problems, but it wasn't a drug conviction (like Jamaal Lewis) & it wasn't a shooting (like Ray Lewis...there seems to be a weird connection there. Both are Lewis's, both play for the Ratbirds :ravensuck). I think this will learn him & he will/has matured because of it. Sometimes, we have to make major mistakes before we realize that we need to straighten up & fly right. Hopefully, this will be the last legal problem he ever has.

I understand where you are coming from. Believe me, I feel ya. There are many MANY people who I have said the exact same thing about. But we aren't talking about laws of the land, but rules & exceptions of the NFL. There really isn't any re-evaluating to do. Whether we like the situation as it is or not, it is what it is. All we can do is move on & try to put it behind us. I, personally, like the kid. Yes, he has had his problems, but it wasn't a drug conviction (like Jamaal Lewis) & it wasn't a shooting (like Ray Lewis...there seems to be a weird connection there. Both are Lewis's, both play for the Ratbirds :ravensuck). I think this will learn him & he will/has matured because of it. Sometimes, we have to make major mistakes before we realize that we need to straighten up & fly right. Hopefully, this will be the last legal problem he ever has.

I mostly agree with your post. Though, I do think the NFL does have a right to punish players, who are employed by their individual teams, who are members and representatives of the NFL, that break the laws of the land.

I liken the situation to when a cop is charged with a crime. There will also be an internal affairs investigation, and whether he is absolved of any wrong doing or not in the criminal/civil case, there will still be that internal affairs investigation...and his employer can still bring penalties. Sean WAS convicted of a crime, and that obviously goes against the ethics and principles of the National Football League (atleast on paper anyhow) He should not be surprised, nor should he expect not to be reprimanded somehow, and according to Gowen's post he will be.

and your right the ravens do suck. :)

I mostly agree with your post. Though, I do think the NFL does have a right to punish players, who are employed by their individual teams, who are members and representatives of the NFL, that break the laws of the land.

I liken the situation to when a cop is charged with a crime. There will also be an internal affairs investigation, and whether he is absolved of any wrong doing or not in the criminal/civil case, there will still be that internal affairs investigation...and his employer can still bring penalties. Sean WAS convicted of a crime, and that obviously goes against the ethics and principles of the National Football League (atleast on paper anyhow) He should not be surprised, nor should he expect not to be reprimanded somehow, and according to Gowen's post he will be.

and your right the ravens do suck. :)

True. I guess I look at it like this. I work for UPS & if I assaulted someone off the job, & was convicted of said crime, I would not expect UPS to suspend or terminate my employment simply because of that conviction. Although, sentencing would most certainly have an effect on my job, depending on what was brought down (a jail sentence would obviously put a damper on showing up to work everyday, but probation & community service shouldn't). That's my only point there. I agree that these guys are in the public eye & that the League expects them to conduct themselves in ways that are conducive with their rules & regulations. So, I guess I understand their reasoning, whatever they decide. I may not agree with their decision, tho. I mean, these are the same people that fined him $20,000 for wearing the wrong colored socks. I think that's a bit excessive. That being said, I hope whatever they decide, it's not too harsh.

And yes, the Ravens suck hard. :D :ravensuck

I'm expecting a 1 or at the most 2 game suspension. You could already sense, that he's going to whine if the NFL suspends him. In the interview, when asked this question he stated "I don't know what the NFL is gonna do...I don't see what they should do." As a Redskin fan, I hate to admit it, but I think he should do atleast a 1 game suspension. If most of us were convicted of assault, we'd lose far more.

Sean wasn't convicted of anything he pled guilty to two misdemeanors.

according to league rules for standards they have to give 1game supension for pleding guilty to a criminal offense.

Not necessarily. They don't HAVE to do it (in Sean's case). It could be 50-50 either way. If he was convicted (or no contest) for a second time... yes.

http://www.prostaronline.com/nfl_conduct_policy.html

Also, under their rule, it doesn't matter wheather he was convicted or not. Admitting "no contest" is part of the 'Persons Convicted of Criminal Activity' paragraph. The "MAY include" part could be one or the other, or both. It's NOT mandatory (like the last sentence with "will be suspended").

I would say that if he is suspended, it would only be for 1 game. And so what? Let AA kick some Viking butt.

Sean wasn't convicted of anything he pled guilty to two misdemeanors.

Pleading guilty, means you are convicted, if the court finds there is enough evidence to convict you. If you plead "no contest," or "nolle contendre" you are still convicted, (once again if the court finds the state presents enough evidence to convict you) but YOU never admitted guilt.

Sean did plead "no contest," which means he just chose not to dispute the state's charges on him, and admits that the state had enough evidence to convict him.

What that amounts to, is it's still a conviction and he can still face sanctions from the NFL. I doubt they will see a difference here.

I have no idea as to what the league will do; but I hope it will be just a fine. Because of his previous incidents they may suspend him for the opener. If either of these happen I will voice no complaint; but if they suspend him for the Dallas game I will be really mad at them and consider that an attack against the Washington Redskins organization.

You guys are blowing this out of proportion entirely. If you got fired from your job for pleading no contest to MISDEMEANORS, you could probably sue you job for wrongful termination.

:bsflag:

I dare you to prove that for us. It's certainly within their discretion to suspend him but they have to under league rules? Again, please, pretty please attempt to prove that.

I think this will learn him & he will/has matured because of it. Sometimes, we have to make major mistakes before we realize that we need to straighten up & fly right. Hopefully, this will be the last legal problem he ever has.

The only thing I'm worried about is this leading to a kind of 'God' complex. I completely agree that we all need to make mistakes before we can learn from them, but if you're always getting away with a slap on the wrist it can have the complete opposite effect. If he really did all that he was accused of, and got off this lightly, it would be hard not to feel 'untouchable' or 'invincible'. Escpecially since he got out of that DUI last year... I was there that night, and he was hammered... my friend was the bartender that served him. I've met him twice, and he is a genuinely good person. It is my feeling that he is one of those people that just got in with the wrong crowd in his younger years... but I have yet to see any signs from him that he has changed his ways. There has been no public apology or humbling speech from him (at least that I've seen), and he still seems to have that 'nobody can touch me' attitude from what I perceive (and it's just a perception). I'm putting my faith in GW and JG to turn his ways around, but only time will tell.

He is probably going to get one game, I would be really surprised if it were more than that. I hope that he actually gets nothing. He is already being penalized in the criminal justice system. I don't believe in double punishments.

Archived