Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor question

Dallsux

What I don't understand is why they would get involved at all. What "happened" took place OFF-season & never had anything to do with the League at all. I mean, if this was the spitting incident or if he had some sort of personal issue with another player on another team, then MAYBE I could understand, but why they feel the need to get involved seems weird to me. I hadn't even thought about it until I saw the 2 interviews & thought, "what an odd question."

yea but when you play for the NFL, you are a representative of the NFL. By doing what he did he hurt the NFL 's image. He also hurts the Redskins imgae. They always talk about Gibbs and players he has with "character" but we have a guy on the team who doesn't fit that mold. We're not trading him or anything, the kid already shows promise of being one of the greats. I'm not sure if Jammal Lewis got suspended, but he should have. I think a one game suspension would be good. As much as I appreciate Sean Taylor's talent, and the fact that he's a Redskin, the kid needs to grow up. He is a professional, and should act like one.

You guys are blowing this out of proportion entirely. If you got fired from your job for pleading no contest to MISDEMEANORS, you could probably sue you job for wrongful termination.

It really depends on what you do for a living. The more public your job is (i.e. politician, cop, etc.), the more likely you will be terminated, suspended, or "asked" to resign.

I'm expecting a 1 or at the most 2 game suspension. You could already sense, that he's going to whine if the NFL suspends him. In the interview, when asked this question he stated "I don't know what the NFL is gonna do...I don't see what they should do." As a Redskin fan, I hate to admit it, but I think he should do atleast a 1 game suspension. If most of us were convicted of assault, we'd lose far more.

He wasn't convicted. He pled to a diversion program and the judge allowed him to state his innoncence at the hearing - that almost never happens. Even in situations of no lo contendre (which the NFL can punish as a guilty plea even though it isn't) no judge would allow the defendent to state his innocence of the charges he is pleading no lo contendre that specifically.

I'm pretty sure Sean's lawyers made the DA agree to let Sean say he was innocent at the hearing so they could use it as a reason for the NFL to not suspend him at all. Who knows though - the NFL usually would have made a statement by now, its been a while - they really would be in arbitration by now normally, I mean the season is getting real close and they need to give Sean a chance to fight the ruling if it occurs.:2cents:

As far as if "most of us were convicted" even if we didn't get the diversion plea (which we would even with a public attorney) we absolutely would not lose far more, maybe one weekend in jail. Remember he was charged with being involved in a fight that he didn't start but didn't need to be invoved in (kind of in between self defense and aggravated assault) , that was what he got charged with finally since nobody of consequence saw him with this amorphous "gun".

spearhead, how is pleading no contest not a conviction? He still has to serve a sentence (community service I believe) for his misdemeanors, and the crimes are on his record until he completes his probation. How could the judge compel him to do these things if he wasn't convicted?

spearhead, how is pleading no contest not a conviction? He still has to serve a sentence (community service I believe) for his misdemeanors, and the crimes are on his record until he completes his probation. How could the judge compel him to do these things if he wasn't convicted?

You obviously have never been charged with a crime. I have, a few times. I led a pretty bad lifestyle a few years back.

He is in a DIVERSION program, as in an attempt to divert from conviction. It is a Probation before Judgement program.

Get it Before Judgement. Conviction occurs after judgement.

Conviction of a crime goes on your legal record. As long as Sean is who he says he is and does what he says he does there is no record of any case - only an arrest which was unsubstantiated.

As far as the league having the right to suspend him, yes they do. But Sean was allowed to state his innocence at the time of the hearing.

No other No Lo Contendre case that lead to punishment in the NFL had the player say they were innocent in front of the judge. No lo contendre means you say, "Yes your honor, thank you your honor I will do what is asked of me."

Not "I am not guilty of these charges but I am sick of being in the newspaper every time the DA farts down here and I want to play football and my lawyer and dad say it isn't worth going to trial just to avoid talking to some HS kids."

He is in a DIVERSION program, as in an attempt to divert from conviction. It is a Probation before Judgement program.

Get it Before Judgement. Conviction occurs after judgement.

Conviction of a crime goes on your legal record. As long as Sean is who he says he is and does what he says he does there is no record of any case - only an arrest which was unsubstantiated.

The NFL conduct policy SPECIFICALLY discusses "diversionary programs" such as the one Sean might be in (as per above). It treats a "diversionary program" like a conviction or guilty plea. As this is something that the player agreed to vis-a-vis the collective bargaining agreement, the NFL can legally susped him for how many games it wants to.

The NFL conduct policy SPECIFICALLY discusses "diversionary programs" such as the one Sean might be in (as per above). It treats a "diversionary program" like a conviction or guilty plea. As this is something that the player agreed to vis-a-vis the collective bargaining agreement, the NFL can legally susped him for how many games it wants to.

You are missing my point!

I was arguing against you saying he was convicted.

I said the NFL could punish him as per the plea of No Lo Contendre however he was allowed to state his innocence in front of the judge at the hearing.

That will make a difference - because they cannot take it as a quiet plea to a probation before judgement, he stated his innocence and the judge let him without having it stricken.

It is on record that Sean said he was innocent, this just does not happen in court like that. Plus the NFL should get moving. Wasn't Jamal Lewis punished much faster than this?

Archived