Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ's the best!

In-com-plete

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-06-14-elite-db_x.htm

By Matt Pitzer, USA TODAY

NFL rules generally don't take cornerback's best interests to heart. Every round of rules changes seems to put them more on the defensive.

Games can turn on a single pass interference penalty. More stringent enforcement of illegal contact rules keep defensive backs on their heels. It all is designed to create more aggressive offenses and more big plays.

All those rules have helped make the classic shutdown cornerback an endangered species. And that is why Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey continues to stand out from his peers. Bailey is what every team is looking for, the rare defender who can take an opponents' best player out of a game.

"He's just cat-quick," Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall says of Bailey. "He can press receivers. He doesn't even really have to get his hands on them. He is so quick with his feet. He can break off with the receiver. A lot of corners can't get out of their breaks, and that's how receivers get the curls and out routes. A corner who is quick on his feet and take them coming out of a break is going to shut them down."

Bailey put those skills to good use last season, intercepting a career-high eight passes. He also came up with two of the Broncos' biggest defensive plays of the year.

In Week 2, after a disappointing season-opening loss at Miami, Denver was staring at a 14-3 deficit at home against San Diego and a 0-2 start when Bailey stepped in front of a Drew Brees pass and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown, sparking a 20-17 comeback victory. During Denver's 27-13 divisional playoff win against New England, with the Patriots at the Broncos' 5 and poised to take the lead in the third quarter, Bailey intercepted Tom Brady and returned the ball 100 yards to the New England 1. Mike Anderson scored on the next play to give the Broncos breathing room at 17-6.

"I don't go out of my way" to make big plays, Bailey says. "It's got to go with my role on the defense, but sometimes I'll see something that's about to happen and I trust my instincts. I mean, that's really why I'm here. I have the athletic ability, and I have those instincts to make those plays."

Bailey made enough of those plays to earn consideration as NFL Defensive Player of the Year — an award won by Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher. Bailey did make his sixth consecutive Pro Bowl and was named to his second consecutive all-pro team.

All of that happened despite being plagued by hamstring and shoulder injuries and missing two games. He was visibly limited at times, most notably when Philadelphia's Terrell Owens burned him for a 91-yard catch-and-run Oct. 30 in Denver's 49-21 win. Those problems, however, did not affect Bailey's confidence, the trademark characteristic of an elite cornerback, even if he is not as brash as others at his position.

"There's certain ways you portray that attitude," Bailey says. "My way of doing it is just being consistent. If you pride yourself on being consistent, then you'll be OK. ... But that's definitely an attitude you have to have. Everybody can beat you at some time. But if you feel like you can be beat, then nine times out of 10, you will be beat."

Bailey says he continues to work on polishing his game and trying to improve. His sights are set high personally (Hall of Fame) and for the team (Super Bowl). He has settled in as a Bronco and has benefited from the stability of Denver's coaching staff after constant turmoil in Washington early in his career.

"Last year, I was in the same system for two consecutive years for the first time," Bailey says. "So three consecutive years, I can't even imagine how much better I'll be. So I'm just looking forward to improving that much more."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-06-14-elite-db_x.htm

By Matt Pitzer, USA TODAY

NFL rules generally don't take cornerback's best interests to heart. Every round of rules changes seems to put them more on the defensive.

Games can turn on a single pass interference penalty. More stringent enforcement of illegal contact rules keep defensive backs on their heels. It all is designed to create more aggressive offenses and more big plays.

All those rules have helped make the classic shutdown cornerback an endangered species. And that is why Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey continues to stand out from his peers. Bailey is what every team is looking for, the rare defender who can take an opponents' best player out of a game.

"He's just cat-quick," Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall says of Bailey. "He can press receivers. He doesn't even really have to get his hands on them. He is so quick with his feet. He can break off with the receiver. A lot of corners can't get out of their breaks, and that's how receivers get the curls and out routes. A corner who is quick on his feet and take them coming out of a break is going to shut them down."

Bailey put those skills to good use last season, intercepting a career-high eight passes. He also came up with two of the Broncos' biggest defensive plays of the year.

In Week 2, after a disappointing season-opening loss at Miami, Denver was staring at a 14-3 deficit at home against San Diego and a 0-2 start when Bailey stepped in front of a Drew Brees pass and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown, sparking a 20-17 comeback victory. During Denver's 27-13 divisional playoff win against New England, with the Patriots at the Broncos' 5 and poised to take the lead in the third quarter, Bailey intercepted Tom Brady and returned the ball 100 yards to the New England 1. Mike Anderson scored on the next play to give the Broncos breathing room at 17-6.

"I don't go out of my way" to make big plays, Bailey says. "It's got to go with my role on the defense, but sometimes I'll see something that's about to happen and I trust my instincts. I mean, that's really why I'm here. I have the athletic ability, and I have those instincts to make those plays."

Bailey made enough of those plays to earn consideration as NFL Defensive Player of the Year — an award won by Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher. Bailey did make his sixth consecutive Pro Bowl and was named to his second consecutive all-pro team.

All of that happened despite being plagued by hamstring and shoulder injuries and missing two games. He was visibly limited at times, most notably when Philadelphia's Terrell Owens burned him for a 91-yard catch-and-run Oct. 30 in Denver's 49-21 win. Those problems, however, did not affect Bailey's confidence, the trademark characteristic of an elite cornerback, even if he is not as brash as others at his position.

"There's certain ways you portray that attitude," Bailey says. "My way of doing it is just being consistent. If you pride yourself on being consistent, then you'll be OK. ... But that's definitely an attitude you have to have. Everybody can beat you at some time. But if you feel like you can be beat, then nine times out of 10, you will be beat."

Bailey says he continues to work on polishing his game and trying to improve. His sights are set high personally (Hall of Fame) and for the team (Super Bowl). He has settled in as a Bronco and has benefited from the stability of Denver's coaching staff after constant turmoil in Washington early in his career.

"Last year, I was in the same system for two consecutive years for the first time," Bailey says. "So three consecutive years, I can't even imagine how much better I'll be. So I'm just looking forward to improving that much more."

good article.. i agree and i have always been a Champ fan....

Portis is good, just not the best. And this has nothing to do with Portis. Or the fact that Champ & Tatum Bell > Portis. It's a thread showing that Champ is in fact the best CB in the NFL.

Champ is the best cornerback on short routes.. He is the worst cornerback on the deep ball.. just ask every reciever in the league

Want to beat champ just run straight

Portis is good, just not the best. And this has nothing to do with Portis. Or the fact that Champ & Tatum Bell > Portis. It's a thread showing that Champ is in fact the best CB in the NFL.
Champ is the best corner in the NFL probably, I'd agree with that statement. He's not, contrary to the media/Denver Fans/Urban Legend, heads and shoulders above all the corners in the NFL though. Don't believe me? How about Roethlisberger going into Denver last year in the AFC title game and throwing for 2 TD's and 72% completion, one of those TD's on a play action near the 10 yard line that Champ completely bit at and left Hines Ward wide open in the endzone. He's pretty damn good, but he's not reinventing the CB position like some would like to believe.

And yeah, Champ & Tatum Bell really owns Portis. Besides the fact that Redskins fans would make that trade again in a heartbeat, or the fact that Tatum Bell can't block and can't really catch, nor could you ever put the game on Bell's shoulders to win it when it counts, and you know Shanahan would take Portis back in a split second.

It's a thread showing that Champ is in fact the best CB in the NFL.

HHHHaaaaa...BWWAaaaahhhahahahahahhaa...

Hey, we saw Chump play...spectacular some games, owned the next...and sometimes out of sight.

Portis is younger, more durable and has made us forget about that whiny guy...

Oh, and he hasn't delivered you to the SB...and won't.

Not a fan of Chump Bailey. Someone needs to take the Kool-Aid away from the reporter who wrote that. Chump is only the best run-stuffing corner in the NFL. He's great at that . . . at the expense of getting toasted on long passes. Plus, he got run down a by TE (Ben Watson). Whassup with that?!?

Champ is not the best the CB in the league.. right now i would take D A from Atlanta or McAllister from the ravens..

his ratio of the TDS to INT is like 1:1... he picks off a pass and then gets beat on TD..

everyone talks about his speed, foot work and quickness..

my question is..how come with all of those assets he alway falls down and gets beat..

i was not a fan of him in Georgia and i wasn't a fan of his in DC..

the only team he did well against was the Cardinals.. goodbye..peace..don't let the door hit you where it don't shine..

Not a fan of Chump Bailey. Someone needs to take the Kool-Aid away from the reporter who wrote that. Chump is only the best run-stuffing corner in the NFL. He's great at that . . . at the expense of getting toasted on long passes. Plus, he got run down a by TE (Ben Watson). Whassup with that?!?

The reporter definitely has wood for Champ and got nothin' on the Ben Watson thing. He made Champ look like a slow little guy.

There also seems to be a bit of amnesia about the play where Owens (muchs as I hate to give him credit) made Bailey look like a fool last year. At least Champ doesn't have to face the dreaded Amani Toomer twice a year anymore, that's probably what is making people think he's great now.

Just because he's on another team doesn't mean he's not good anymore. I hate how he's the best CB in the league when he's here, then he sucks when he goes to Denver. And why are you guys bringing up Clinton Portis? The article says nothing about him.

Champ is the best corner in the NFL probably, I'd agree with that statement. He's not, contrary to the media/Denver Fans/Urban Legend, heads and shoulders above all the corners in the NFL though. Don't believe me? How about Roethlisberger going into Denver last year in the AFC title game and throwing for 2 TD's and 72% completion, one of those TD's on a play action near the 10 yard line that Champ completely bit at and left Hines Ward wide open in the endzone. He's pretty damn good, but he's not reinventing the CB position like some would like to believe.

And yeah, Champ & Tatum Bell really owns Portis. Besides the fact that Redskins fans would make that trade again in a heartbeat, or the fact that Tatum Bell can't block and can't really catch, nor could you ever put the game on Bell's shoulders to win it when it counts, and you know Shanahan would take Portis back in a split second.

First, Shanny would love to have Portis back. Of all the NFL running backs, he probably fits our system the best. But I guarantee Shanahan would make that trade again. He just might not pick Tatum with that 2nd rd pick you guys gave us.

As for Champ getting beat in th AFCCG, it wasn't the play action he bit on. It was 3rd and 8 at our 12. Roethlisberger was in the shotgun. Denver was sending everyone including the cheerleaders because they had yet to get the slightest of pressure on the QB. Champ knows we're sending the house so, like all season long, the QB should get rid of it in a hurry. Only Big Ben had all the time in the world. He pump faked and Champ jumped the route. Cedric Wilson (not Hines Ward) changed directions and headed to the corner of the endzone where he'd be wide open. Champ did what he did all season long. He jumped the route, only this time the front 7 (and probably Lynch) didn't get to the QB.

I know Champ isn't the greatest CB ever. He's just the best playing the game right now. He's not the reason Big Ben converted 8 of their first 9 3rd downs. He's not the reason Denver lost. The d-line is and that TD pass to Cedric Wilson summed up Denvers game that day. Zero pressure on the QB.

Woohoo!!!

Champ Bailey is a Hall Of Famer who will never lead his team to a Super Bowl.

Woohoo!!!

Clinton Portis is a Future Hall Of Famer who will lead his team to one or more Super Bowls and even has a shot to break the All-Time Leading Rushing Record.

Whatever dude. You think CBs lead their team to the SB? Did Deion lead SF and Dallas to the SB or did Young and Aikman?

And how do you know Denver won't make the SB before Champ retires and Washington will before Portis retires?

Great post btw. :rolleyes:

HHHHaaaaa...BWWAaaaahhhahahahahahhaa...

Hey, we saw Chump play...spectacular some games, owned the next...and sometimes out of sight.

Portis is younger, more durable and has made us forget about that whiny guy...

Oh, and he hasn't delivered you to the SB...and won't.

Portis hasn't delivered you to the SB. I'm not going to say he won't because I honestly don't know. Neither does anyone.

And Champ never missed a start until this year. Portis was hurt both season in Denver. He missed one game in '02 and three in '03 because of injuries. Saying Portis is more durable is crazy.

Portis hasn't delivered you to the SB. I'm not going to say he won't because I honestly don't know. Neither does anyone.

And Champ never missed a start until this year. Portis was hurt both season in Denver. He missed one game in '02 and three in '03 because of injuries. Saying Portis is more durable is crazy.

Champ definately had his share of injuries in DC. It was always "affecting" his play. Two years isn't enough to evaluate either player's susceptability to injury.

:bsflag:

Champ got run down by Ben Watson on that "spectacular play," and clearly fumbled the ball into the endzone. That should have been New England's ball on their own 20 yard line. His complete lack of hustle almost cost them that TD.

Champ is going to feel really stupid when the Joe Gibbs led Redskins win a superbowl before the Donkeys do.

:laugh: Well, for your viewing enjoyment, here are some pictures of Moss burning Chump at the probowl:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2214356&postcount=2

Archived