Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1000th post/Just returned from the Southwest...

#98QBKiller

Well I just returned from a trip all the way out to Tucson, Arizona. An uncle of mine is a college professor that has been working at WVU and he just scored a great job at the University of Arizona. He had to drive across country from Morgantown to Tucson, so I met him at my parents house in Ft. Worth, TX and rode with him out to Arizona. I was gone for nine days and just got back yesterday, I had a few posts before my 1000th so I decided to wait for it and use it to post about my newfound love for the rugged Southwestern United States...

I spent a lot of time at State and National Parks and found some really cool places including:

White Sands, NM

White Mountain Wilderness Area, NM

Pendregosa Mountains, AZ

Sabino Canyon, Mt. Lemmon & Santa Catalina Mountains, AZ

...and other various mountain ranges that we either drove through or passed by on the way.

Tucson was great. It's like southern California without the beach and without the high prices. There's lots to do there in the form of bars, restaurants and shops and plenty of mountains and canyons border the city for outdoor recreation. You can be in the city of Tucson and the temperature is 110 degrees, but a short drive to the top of the Santa Catalina Mountains will put you in a nice 70-degree, sunny climate where you can view the entire city.

Just the drive from Texas to Arizona was enough to make me appreciate the "wild west" as it's called. We have some great places here in the east but the west is more scarcely populated and there are more mountains and canyons and unspoiled land.

The wildlife is amazing too. I saw roadrunners, dead armadillos, a rattlesnake, large deer, various lizards, and even a mother bear and her cubs.

I am currently planning a Grand Canyon trip with my uncle and sister for sometime in the fall and this trip has opened my mind about relocating to the west for a job now that I've finished college. I've had my taste of the beach...now I want some mountains.

Here are some pics that I took along the way:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/53QBKiller/

So that's my tribute to the west and my 1000th post. This is for all of you lucky bastages that live in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and other beautiful places.

:cheers:

What happened with my contact #53QB? Did you guys ever get in touch?

And congrats on 1K.

Yeah we did get in touch and he thought it would be best if I did a paid internship with a large daily newspaper to get my foot in the door, or either start at a smaller publication and work there for a few years before moving up in the business. So I've been slinging resumes left and right. Thanks again for the contact.

Tucson was great. It's like southern California without the beach and without the high prices. There's lots to do there in the form of bars, restaurants and shops and plenty of mountains and canyons border the city for outdoor recreation.

Congrats on the trip!

I would like to take exception to these sentances. Southern California rarely gets as hot as Tucson... :cool:

Tucson is also a dead city compared to Southern California as well... but if you like that small town desert feel... more to you...

I don't know why I felt like defending SoCal... but I do agree discovering the Southwest is pretty cool. There is some great hiking and moutain stuff to do in Arizona, and a ton of people enjoy living in the desert areas.

Congrats on the trip!

I would like to take exception to these sentances. Southern California rarely gets as hot as Tucson... :cool:

Tucson is also a dead city compared to Southern California as well... but if you like that small town desert feel... more to you...

I don't know why I felt like defending SoCal... but I do agree discovering the Southwest is pretty cool. There is some great hiking and moutain stuff to do in Arizona, and a ton of people enjoy living in the desert areas.

Thanks and yeah I should have been more clear. I know that SoCal doesn't get nearly as hot a Tucson (normally) I was referring more to the architecture and the desert surroundings with hills and mountains in the background.

But the desert is definitely a fascinating place....especially for us easterners. ;)

:cheers: Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I like it. :) But I generally prefer nature to people. I'm guessing you went through Cruces on your way to White Sands, it's about 40 miles east of us. WSs is a cool place, they open it up until midnight on full moons and you can see like it's daylight. I've had some really good evenings there. ;)

I also recognize Texas Canyon, outside Wilcox, with all the balancing rocks. Some nice pics in there. Come back and see us!

:cheers: Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I like it. :) But I generally prefer nature to people. I'm guessing you went through Cruces on your way to White Sands, it's about 40 miles east of us. WSs is a cool place, they open it up until midnight on full moons and you can see like it's daylight. I've had some really good evenings there. ;)

I also recognize Texas Canyon, outside Wilcox, with all the balancing rocks. Some nice pics in there. Come back and see us!

Actually we stayed a night in Las Cruces. It was the same day we went through White Sands and it was the first town we found that had a good hotel/bar combo. Las Cruces was much more fun than Roswell, I expected a lot more from that place (Roswell).

Archived