Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ATTN: West Coast Sports Fans vs East Coast Fans

skinfan2k

Tell what are the differences.... we here on the east coast usally dont bother with teams from the west coast.. Like last season, the seahawks were considered a joke around the league becasuse they play in the upper NW.. The east coast has a bias in everything from mvp votes to heisman trophy winners.

Another question.. why are media outlets starting games to lose audiences in the east coast after 9, but realize they are gaining fans from the west. Shouldn't they be able to have both?

For all you fans on the west coast, is it hard waking up to watch football at 9am.. or watching the nba finals start at 5pm, barely after the work day ends?

Any thought.. :2cents:

Tell what are the differences.... we here on the east coast usally dont bother with teams from the west coast.. Like last season, the seahawks were considered a joke around the league becasuse they play in the upper NW.. The east coast has a bias in everything from mvp votes to heisman trophy winners.

Another question.. why are media outlets starting games to lose audiences in the east coast after 9, but realize they are gaining fans from the west. Shouldn't they be able to have both?

For all you fans on the west coast, is it hard waking up to watch football at 9am.. or watching the nba finals start at 5pm, barely after the work day ends?

Any thought.. :2cents:

I thought the Seahawks were a joke because up until the playoffs, they had never been really tested.

Seriously though, The sports league know people on the east coast will watch a game that starts @ 9pm. When ad $ will be highest. They also know at that time, people on the west coast will be able to watch the game from start to finish.

as for the heisman, 3 of the last 4 were USC. What media Bias? People don't care traditionally about the PAC-10 because they play no Defense. Therefore, stats tend to be a tad out of the "normal" range.

I lived on the East Coast up through college graduation. I absolutely love being on the West Coast (past 3 years).

NFL Example 1: The dreaded 9am - 1pm stretch when you wake up on Sunday morning. Waiting 2-3 hours for football to start absolutely sucks.

NFL Example 2: Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football end way too late. Over here they are done around 9 pm... which means I can relax and am not tired after the game.

NFL Example 3: 6 pm is a great time to watch MNF. I'm a little peeved the MNF double header is going to start on my way home from work.

College Football Example: Wall to wall football on Saturdays (it's like that on the East Coast).

MLB Example: Baseball comes on when I get home until 10 pm at night.

It goes on and on... having sports on in the late afternoon is great.

NFL Example 2: Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football end way too late. Over here they are done around 9 pm... which means I can relax and am not tired after the game.

NFL Example 3: 6 pm is a great time to watch MNF. I'm a little peeved the MNF double header is going to start on my way home from work.

perfect examples why i could not stay up as a child to watch late night sports..

Regarding fans is a different story. I live in LA, so Seattle or Denver might be a little different.

Any die-hard NFL fan is a transplant from an east coast city. Doing an unscientific survey, most of the West Coast natives didn't watch the Super Bowl this year. If there is a game with no rooting interest (USC, UCLA, Lakers, Clipper) they won't watch it... I wish I had some TV ratings data to back this up.

I think people here have sports ADD... but the funny thing is the transplants from Philly, Chicago, Washington all hold onto their east coast teams, for the most part.

NFL Example 1: The dreaded 9am - 1pm stretch when you wake up on Sunday morning. Waiting 2-3 hours for football to start absolutely sucks.

See from my perspective it's great on the East Coast. (I'm technically in Indiana during football season, but they just changed to Eastern Time.) You roll out of bed on Sunday just in time for the pre-game to start, scratch your ass, maybe make some breakfast, and then go down to the bar for the games.

I live in Mountain time and I love it. The Finals start at 7, as does MNF. Sunday games start at 11 and 2. College football can start a little early at 10am, especially if I've been hitting the Jack a little too hard the night before. Something strange about football and jet black coffee. College basketball games start at 5 pm on weekdays, which is early if don't have TiVo. But since I do, I get home between 6 and 7 and can finish the game by 8 and I don't have to watch any commercials.

I'm a sportsnut, even when my team gets eliminated I still watch the games. When I lived back east, I would still watch the westcoast NBA games that didn't end until past 1am and be dead in the morning. Now those games rarely go to midnight.

The one thing that does suck is the NCAA tournament. Games start at 10am on those 1st two days. Back east, you can take two 1/2 days off, and catch the entire tourney.

I think the fans out here are pretty good, but the overall level of intensity is not the same because the population is more transient. Western cities have a lot of East Coast transplants. I go to a bar to watch the Skins and I will never become a 49er fan. Think about this - how many people who live in Philly as adults didn't grow up in Philly? How about Baltimore, or Pittsburgh, or Cleveland? Those places are all fans of the same team because they all grew up with that team.

Still, there are loyal longterm fans here too. The Giants-Dodgers rivalry is a blast, and deeply rooted.

As far as watching games go, I much prefer it out here. Roll out of bed on Sunday, there's a ten oclock game, awesome! No waiting around. MNF at 6 pm - awesome. I actually get to watch it.

Archived