Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI's QB's on the Hot Seat

DWinzit

Yep, already posted:http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157501&highlight=Hot+Seat

I agree pretty much with those QB's too. I think the QB's with the most weight on their shoulders are Plummer and Brunell. Plummer was good last season, but that could easily have been a fluke given his previous track record. And Brunell better step it up like last year- the key will be making sure he's protected and healthy for the long haul, since we all know how fragile he appears to be getting. And both the Skins and Broncos have Super Bowl aspirations this season, so the QB play for both teams will be pivotal.

Absolutely ridiculous to have him on that list....it's titled 'QBs ON the Hot Seat', not 'QBs who COULD be on the Hot Seat'. Other than guys like Peyton and Tom Brady, there isn't a QB in the league that won't be looking over his shoulder if he begins to play poorly.

Brunell had a hell of a season last year. Yeah, no kidding, if he stinks the joint up, the coaching staff may start to wonder if its time to give Mr. Campbell some snaps. But again, thats true almost everywhere.

Absolutely ridiculous to have him on that list....it's titled 'QBs ON the Hot Seat', not 'QBs who COULD be on the Hot Seat'. Other than guys like Peyton and Tom Brady, there isn't a QB in the league that won't be looking over his shoulder if he begins to play poorly.

I think Brunell is on the hotseat more so than most starting QBs around the league. Brunell is old, injury prone and finished the regular season poorly last year. The poor play continued in the playoffs.

Add to that, he's already injured this offseason.

Campbell was a first round draft pick and has already sat a year, if Brunell starts the year like he finished last year... the hotseat becomes a blazing inferno. The fans supporting and defending Brunell right now will vanish pretty quickly if this happens. And if it does, hopefully Campbell is not only ready to go, but Gibbs and Saunders better not wait 9 games into the season to make a change.

Brunell had a hell of a season last year. Yeah, no kidding, if he stinks the joint up, the coaching staff may start to wonder if its time to give Mr. Campbell some snaps. But again, thats true almost everywhere.

I agree. You could put every quarterback on that list except a handful.....why not at Farve to that list or Alex Smith etc. etc...... :doh:

Yeah, his play tailed off...thats obvious. But Joe Gibbs wouldn't sit him when he was horrendous the season before. 'Hot Seat' implies he's in danger of losing his starting job. Short of injury, it ain't going to happen.

While a valid point, I think that's painting it with broad strokes rather than taking the article for what it's trying to say, particularly about Brunell. Yes, Brunell had a career season, but with everything at stake for the Redskins next year the big question will be at QB and how Brunell will hold up for the length of the season. Sure, a lot of other teams have situations where their QB has an up-and-comer breathing down their neck, but a lot of those teams don't really have a shot at doing anything except rebuilding or continuing a building process into being competitive. The guys in this article are the ones with arguably the highest stakes involved- Brunell and Plummer are looking to win it all and do it now, Warner is an injury or a couple bad games away from seeing his starting job gone for good, Aaron Brooks has to succeed or his career as a starter could be finished, etc. The only correction I would offer is taking out Volek and putting in Peyton in his place. Volek obviously isn't the starter for the long term, and the article even admits that, but Peyton is another guy who really needs to go the distance very soon. I think the term "hot seat" is all relative to how you view it, whether it's losing your position as starter or losing your shot at a championship. Overall though I think it's an ok article, I mean it ain't Pulitzer, it's just a Sports Illustrated internet quickie, but the logic seems alright. Just my :2cents: .

On a side note- Tarhog, you're sig has been driving me nuts for a long time now. It's all DC characters up until Saunders, who's Mr. Fantastic. Why not just make him Batman so it all fits in? Sorry, just the OCD and geekiness coming out in me.

Archived