Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Plug for Stephen Davis

skinsfan51

No. He will not even make it as one of the 15 finalists.

My All-Time Redskins top 5 RB's:

1. John Riggins

2. Larry Brown

3. Earnest Byner

4. Clinton Portis

5. Kelvin Bryant (4.6 avg.)

I feel in a year or two, Byner and Portis will be switching places on my list. ;)

No Joe Washington?

Out of 7 years with the team he only managed 3 productive seasons, so to me it's easy to compare him to Portis and give Portis the edge. It took him 4 years to finally break 1000 and didn't do it until the skins had a competent team.

Just to play devil's advocate, if I remember correctly, SD was never charted to be a starter when we brought him in. He earned the job over time, slowly got more carries, until he was the starter. That's how I remember it, and I'll caveat that by saying I smoke more herb than anyone I know.

One way or another, CP was brought in to be 30+ carries a game. SD had to earn it. That was part of the magic with Davis. He was one of those blue-collar guys that stepped the **** up and showed he could be one of the elite, breaking the team rushing record in the process, if you'll remember. That's more yards in a season than Riggins or any of those guys, and under Norval for that matter. It doesn't sound pretty, but it's reality.

That being said, I agree with most everyone that Portis is a far superior back. Still, you really have to give this guy his props. He sparked the team, despite his fumbles, and without him, there's no way we go 10-6 in '99 and go to the playoffs for the first time in years.

People are going to have a soft spot for him, though he's no Hall of Famer. It's blue-collar players like Stephen Davis that define our franchise.

No. He will not even make it as one of the 15 finalists.

My All-Time Redskins top 5 RB's:

1. John Riggins

2. Larry Brown

3. Earnest Byner

4. Clinton Portis

5. Kelvin Bryant (4.6 avg.)

I feel in a year or two, Byner and Portis will be switching places on my list. ;)

Don't forget Terry Allen who had a few good years here. Better than KB.

Sorry but I was never a big Steven Davis fan. He was a plow who got his yardage by running a lot and getting a little at a time. He had no moves and ran with his feet close together.

Riggins was the same type of runner. Only difference between him and Davis is he would run over people and Davis wouldn't.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the fumble in Dallas when the Skins had the game won. Same thing in Arizona a year or two later. Portis also had a couple of huge fumbles two years ago (Cleveland, NYG) but neither game was all but won at the time.

Yeah, for as good as Davis was, he would break your heart with his goal line fumbles. :mad:

Davis has not done enough to make it to the HOF as of now I would not consider Tiki Barber a HOF (I am a Giants fan) and he has 4000 more yards then Davis from scrimmage. I compare Davis to Hampton a work horse who helped your team win a lot but will never be considered one of the top players in the game.

By the way I think Davis' numbers would be much better if that idiot Spurrier hadn't let him leave the skins.

I don't know if my statement is 100% true over there in Canton, but the bottom line is no ring - no hall....Tiki and Stephen are simply not on the Bus (pun impied if there happens to be a Steeler fan out there)...

Ok, I ran the numbers. Obviously Davis has more attempts and yards, etc. because he played longer for the 'Skins. But the comparison is worth looking at.

Portis

Games Attempts Yards Avg. TD 20+

2004 15 343 1315 3.8 5 5

2004 16 352 1516 4.3 11 6

CAREER 31 695 2831 4.05 16 11

Davis

Games Attempts Yards Avg. TD 20+

1996 12 23 139 6 2 1

1997 14 241 567 4 3 0

1998 16 34 109 3.2 0 0

1999 14 290 1405 4.8 17 7

2000 15 332 1318 4 11 5

2001 16 356 1432 4 5 8

2002 12 207 820 4 7 3

CAREER 99 1483 5790 4.29 45 24

I think the stat that jumps out is the average yards per carry. Davis was better as a Redskins than Portis has been. Will that change over time? Probably if Portis stays healthy. BUT the poll is based on PAST ACHIEVEMENTS NOT POTENTIAL. A 4.29 average is pretty good among NFL backs. I again stand by my opinion that Davis should have been ranked higher on the poll, and based on what he DID he should be ranked higher than what Portis MAY do some day.

If Portis's career as a Redskin ended today he should NOT be ranked higher than Stephen Davis, IMO.

Sorry, my man, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here...I do, however, agree with the general idea that it's kinda difficult to consider *anyone* the "greatest ever" based on only two seasons...much like the banter in the whole Art Monk HOF debate having someone blow out stats over two years does not necessarily make them the "greatest". Personally I'd take a consistent producer for 5, 6, or 7 seasons over a 2 year flash in the pan.

My disagreement is that the yards per carry stat tells the tape when simply looking at statistics...I think your general arguement is reasonable and I believe what your saying is that on the whole you believe Davis ranks higher than Portis today but that it's likely Portis will soon take the crown barring any sort of catastrophy....in seeing the stats you posted (thank you, by the way, for getting those together) you can't deny the total yards...

Clinton Portis has rushed for nearly HALF the yards of Stephen Davis' Redskin career...he did it in two years while Davis ran for 7 years.

Portis averaged over 91 yards per game. Davis just over 58 yards per game.

Portis best back to back seasons as a Redskin (the only two) 2831 yards. Davis best back to back 2750. As a matter of fact if you cherry pick Davis' two BEST seasons, he amassed 2837 yards...that's only six over Portis.

Yards per carry is a fine stat for comparison but when you look at who is doing the most for is team, I think Clinton still gets the nod although you have to admit that the jury is "still out"...two years does not a "greatest ever make"

peace! and hail to the redskins!!

I guess I'd put it this way, take CP at his best (now) and put him behind the HOGS. Then take Riggins at his best and put him behind this current line. Who will produce bigger numbers and wins?

Wow man, this is a great hypothetical...you could give yourself an aneurysm trying come up with an accurate assessment!!!

not going to posit an opinion either way....I love both of these guys and I'm afraid my head might explode if I think about this much longer...

Hail to the Redskins!!!

Yeah, for as good as Davis was, he would break your heart with his goal line fumbles. :mad:

every time i hear his name, i think of the monday nighter in dallas with about 2 minutes to play.

and there were others..... :(

']Just to play devil's advocate' date=' if I remember correctly, SD was never charted to be a starter when we brought him in. He earned the job over time, slowly got more carries, until he was the starter. That's how I remember it, and I'll caveat that by saying I smoke more herb than anyone I know.

One way or another, CP was brought in to be 30+ carries a game. SD had to earn it. That was part of the magic with Davis. He was one of those blue-collar guys that stepped the **** up and showed he could be one of the elite, breaking the team rushing record in the process, if you'll remember. That's more yards in a season than Riggins or any of those guys, and under Norval for that matter. It doesn't sound pretty, but it's reality.

That being said, I agree with most everyone that Portis is a far superior back. Still, you really have to give this guy his props. He sparked the team, despite his fumbles, and without him, there's no way we go 10-6 in '99 and go to the playoffs for the first time in years.

People are going to have a soft spot for him, though he's no Hall of Famer. It's blue-collar players like Stephen Davis that define our franchise.[/quote']

Sure he deserves his props and yes he did do some very good stuff when he was here and he did accumulate great stats during those three good years. He's a great feel good story, but this thread was about ranking, and that being said.. if you asked me Portis has done more in 2 years, then Davis did in 7. Does circumstances play a part.. sure it does. Riggins isn't a legend because of his killer stats. He wasn't an every down back, his YPC was low and he never really broke THAT many long runs. But he endeared himself to us fans, the club and even his own team. He did it by running over people on the field when it mattered most, by being so full of life both on and off the field that you just couldn't help but love the guy. He was could always be counted on in a clutch and there was always a great story to be told about the guy. These are the things Davis lacks. Portis struggled with this his first year... but really stepped it up last year and I have the feeling he is far from through, which is why in just two years.. he has earned his spot on the list and above Davis.

Archived