Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Believers, Does God control everything?

SUNSTONE

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I have seen several posters on this board who believed that whatever happens is the will of God.

I myself don't believe that God controls me like a puppet. And when I learned that fact(I believe to be fact), it really changed my life for the better.

Opinions?

God has a perfect plan for you, does not mean that you have to follow that plan. God wants everyone to beleive in him, if God only controlled some to beleive and others not to, than he would contradict himself, which he can't do

All the comments made so far go along with my thought as well. God gave man free will, therefore it's obvious he doesn't control everything. It's just up to people to make the best of that Free Will.

I personally do believe in God and try to attend church (I'm not the most consistent, but I do try and make the effort) however, I don't think everyone has to go to church or has to believe in what I do. It's their choice, their "free will" to do what they will.

Without free will none of it makes any sense at all. Is God choosing to have people not believe in him, to murder, or rape? No.

This is an interesting arguement. I personally believe that we have free will in all our actions, even though God KNOWS what we are going to do. Part of that is our limited conception of time; we are stuck thinking about time linearly, whereas God is not bound by that. You're kind of getting into an election vs. free will debate which is something that has always interested me.

I have seen several posters on this board who believed that whatever happens is the will of God.

I myself don't believe that God controls me like a puppet. And when I learned that fact(I believe to be fact), it really changed my life for the better.

Opinions?

Nice one... I know where this stems from, and all I can do is... :rolleyes:

God does not control your free will, and I never said He did. But God can influence it.... and He does.

When I said God controls everything - Everything thing being His plans... He does. What He says is going to happen with or without you personally. Is going to happen.

I'm pretty sure that you come form the camp that everything that we "think" is bad is not God. If thats the case... I hope we can disscuss that.

This is an interesting arguement. I personally believe that we have free will in all our actions, even though God KNOWS what we are going to do. Part of that is our limited conception of time; we are stuck thinking about time linearly, whereas God is not bound by that. You're kind of getting into an election vs. free will debate which is something that has always interested me.

To me, one of the more interesting analogies regarding the nature of Free Will, is the parental relationship -- especially when the child is still an infant. When you give the child Free Will (i.e., let them out of their play pin), you don't know exactly what they'll do. But you know THEM. You know what their tendencies are, what they are interested in, and what they are prone to do. So, in the end, you know -- in general -- if you set a child with an oral fixation down on the floor, next to a dirty nasty Cheeto that's been rolling around under the fridge, that the child WILL go for said Cheeto. You didn't WILL them to go for the Cheeto. You also didn't predict weeks and months before that they would go for the Cheeto under the fridge at 08:03 AM on 6/6/6. :)

I don't think it's a perfect analogy by any means (in fact very far from it) -- but I think it explains a bit about how the nature of God could be. He gives us Free Will. And He knows us so well because: 1) He Created us; and 2) He is so completed our superior -- that He knows what we will do in a given situation.

God has a perfect plan for you, does not mean that you have to follow that plan. God wants everyone to beleive in him, if God only controlled some to beleive and others not to, than he would contradict himself, which he can't do
I disagree. Its not contradiction. Read this by Charles Spurgeon, its good but lengthy.

A Defense of Calvinism

It depends on the definition of control. Can he make everything happen the way he wants? Yes. Does He? No.

The very definition of God as omnipotent implies control.

Ever read the book of Job?

People who believe that God wants them to have cancer, or bad things in their life, look at Job.

But what they always over look is the fact that Job was a real stand up kind of guy. God gave him props for how wise he was, and how he did such a good job.

I think God called him the wisest or greatest man in the east, or something like that.

And so Job went throught a test/trial, and he passed it with flying colors.

They also over look the fact that he recieved even more than he started out with. He got a new family, and was richer than ever before.

I personally believe that we have free will in all our actions, even though God KNOWS what we are going to do.

If God knows what I am going to do, and has created me the way he has, then isn't that pretty much control? I mean...if I was born with the tendencies to do things by my free will and he knows what choices I will make...how can he not be controlling things? We have the illusion of free will. Not sure if I made my point very clearly but there it is. :silly:

Dan

People who believe that God wants them to have cancer, or bad things in their life, look at Job.

But what they always over look is the fact that Job was a real stand up kind of guy. God gave him props for how wise he was, and how he did such a good job.

I think God called him the wisest or greatest man in the east, or something like that.

And so Job went throught a test/trial, and he passed it with flying colors.

They also over look the fact that he recieved even more than he started out with. He got a new family, and was richer than ever before.

cancer and job being richer than ever....? This doesn't even make sense.

Nice one... I know where this stems from, and all I can do is... :rolleyes:

God does not control your free will, and I never said He did. But God can influence it.... and He does.

When I said God controls everything - Everything thing being His plans... He does. What He says is going to happen with or without you personally. Is going to happen.

I'm pretty sure that you come form the camp that everything that we "think" is bad is not God. If thats the case... I hope we can disscuss that.

You weren't the only one I was thinking of when I made this thread.

And don't think I didn't notice you dodging my post in that thread.

God always trys to influence people's decisions. You can read that in proverbs when it talks about how wisdom is always calling out in the streets, and how fools ignore wisdom.

You have a consience is evidence that God is influencing people on earth.

Go on somewhere with your manipulation.....pretending like you don't know what I'm saying, just so you don't have to answer it. Whatever.:rolleyes:

Bro, step back... and cool off. You are getting really touchy. I'm trying to hold a discussion with you... lets not let it be a peeing contest...

I'll ask again what does

Peopling thinking God puts cancer on you, and Job being blessed in the end have to do with one another...

Bro, step back... and cool off. You are getting really touchy. I'm trying to hold a discussion with you... lets not let it be a peeing contest...

I'll ask again what does

Peopling thinking God puts cancer on you, and Job being blessed in the end have to do with one another...

It means that God wants the best for us, He doesn't want us to get sick and die.

It means that God wants the best for us, He doesn't want us to get sick and die.

Ok, thats a better anwser....

And sure God wants great things for us.

But now I'll ask another question whats more important to God...

Your comfort now, or your eternal redemption?

Opinions?

Are talking about pre-destiny?

I don't think God controls much of what we do day to day, but I do believe that he controls a certain amount of our destiny.

Archived