Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Secondary...will be stellar.

freakofthesouth

Hey all...just wanted to weigh in here on how our secondary will fare next season.

W/ Sean T in some legal troubles, it was sortof taboo to talk about; but now that we know he will not be serving any time, we know that he will be returning to maybe an even more productive year. His intimidation factor is unrivaled; recievers know his number on the field...they look for it. And that's what a good safety can do for you...he is, IMO, the best player on this defense; and it's great news to know that he won't really miss a beat.

On the flip side, Archuleta is a welcomed addition. Here's a player that has spent his entire NFL career in St. Loius, trying to make a home in one of the worst defenses in the NFL. His critics say he is too aggressive, and takes bad angles...but they can all agree that the natural talent is there. Now, Archy comes to Washington and walks into a great situation, working for the best defensive coordinator in the league, in terms of developing talent. His angles will undeniably be more sound, and his 'gambles' will be less costly, as his responsibilities and assignments will be very specific. W/ all due respect to nearly departed Ryan Clark, I think we took a HUGE step up w/ this signing to solidify the position. Side note: my roommate is a Giants fan...when he learned about Sean Taylor's legal relief, he began to mock the signing of Archuleta. I PROMPTLY enlightened him that Sean Taylor, dispite his size and utter ability to knock the snot outta folks, he is a free safety. Archy was signed to line up next to him...not to replace him. His ensuing silence was....memerable.

OK, moving on to the corner situation...we have Carlos Rogers. He came on so strong at the end of last season..he actually had us one INT away, IMO, from being in the big NFC showdown (crap, he shouldda caught that ball!). When they threw it his way, he made plays. When you didn't hear his name, you knew he was doing his job. Needless to say, real, real excited to see this kid develop. He has great size and tackling ability, and has fantastic cover skills. He will only be improving w/ each notch on his belt.

Then we go to the vet, and leader of our secondary...Sean Springs. We he first came to DC, folks said he was finished...now, we can all agree that he has silenced these voices. Displaying veretan savvy each Sunday, and keeping any marquee reciever from making many waves, Sean Springs has exceeded my expectations.

So there you have it guys- Taylor, Archuleta, Rogers, and Springs- a stellar secondary, hand-crafted by GW, Gibbs and co.

I would add that we have bolstered our depth at CB with the addition of Kenny Wright, who started 16 games for a good defense last year. He is a HUGE upgrade over the oft injured and slow, Walt Harris. As well, Pierson Prioleau provides good, experienced depth at both S positions, and has an excellent knowledge of GW's system. :2cents:

After seeing how aggressively we went after Arch I am definitely excited to see what G. Williams schemes up for him on Sundays. I remember that at the beginning of the season 2 years ago Bowen was a blitzing machine b4 he got hurt.

After seeing how aggressively we went after Arch I am definitely excited to see what G. Williams schemes up for him on Sundays. I remember that at the beginning of the season 2 years ago Bowen was a blitzing machine b4 he got hurt.

Yeah Bowen was good... I felt so bad that he kept getting hurt, kinda like Taylor Jacobs...

But Arch is faster (4.43) and stronger (***31*** BENCH REPS that would be top 5 for defensive tackles in this years draft) plus 36 inch vert.

His play dropped off because he played through a vertebrae slippage, but that is supposedly squared away and healed.

Not to mention he's started at FS, Weak LB and SS, talk about versatility

Kenny Wright is huge in stature and will be a welcome sight compared to little ass Walt Harris.

Yeah... by week 3 it was like every opponent's game plan was "Throw it to Walt's guy"

The sad thing is that it worked. Dude led the team in tackles so many games.... as a CB. And I don't mean like Los Rogers led the team in tackles (those all occured 5 yards near the Line of Scrimmage) I'm talking about tackles that averaged 8 yards past the LOS. Bad bad bad.

Then in the chargers game they decided to "Throw it to Carlos' guy" Haha... that didn't work out well. Though we still lost :(

Arch wouldn't have been stiff armed like a ***** by LT. I think that one play was why GW wouldn't match the Steeler's offer.

His play dropped off because he played through a vertebrae slippage, but that is supposedly squared away and healed.

Thats one of the concerns I have about him. Did you see somewhere in writing that he was 100% healed? I worry a little bit that we are getting Laveranues Coles Part II.

I would add that we have bolstered our depth at CB with the addition of Kenny Wright, who started 16 games for a good defense last year. He is a HUGE upgrade over the oft injured and slow, Walt Harris. As well, Pierson Prioleau provides good, experienced depth at both S positions, and has an excellent knowledge of GW's system. :2cents:

Thank God Walt Harris is out of the picture. Every time you saw a big play on us last year, Harris invariably screwed up somewhere, either by getting burned or blowing an easy tackle.

We're going to get "The most feared team to play against" status. To think, pierce could have been leading it all. We didnt appreciate him??? More like he sure as hell didnt appreciate what the Skins did for him.

I absolutely love posts like this. :cheers:

Thanks for breaking that all down Freakofthenorth. You did a great job of putting your thoughts into words, you actually got me watching game video again. :)

I too love the potential of our secondary and can't wait to see them in action. I know that Ryan Clark is gone, but wouldn't it have been really nice to have had him as a back up...wow?

Good reading. I'll keep this short with what others have also wrote.

I dont hate W. Harris. If you don't remember last year he had some good moments and I espeically remember some important ball swats and good coverage he did in games we won. Can't remember exactly which games but I remember he did. Unfortunatly he had more poor moments than good.

As for Springs, he age is worrying me, he can be healthy for maybe the first half of the season but what about the last half? He did get hurt a couple of times last year too if you remember.

For Archuletta. Haha my friend is a Huge Rams fan, so it was lovely when we spanked their butts last year, and she was hurt when he left their team to above all the Redskins! Lol. I can't wait to see what he will do for us.

I'm wondering if the signing of Archuleta was to allow Sean to roam in the secondary more as Aruchuleta will play closer to the line of scrimmage. One thing about Clark (Who I was a fan of) was that he routinely got beat in coverage when we blitzed. Now that we can blitz with AA, St is a huge upgrade back in the secondary on those plays.

I have a question on Rogers....He played decently for a rookie last year and showd some promise but seemed a little shaky for the most part and didn't play up to the speed I anticipated after the combine workout....Was some of his speed negated last season due to the ankle injury? For anyone here who has had access to OTA's or any articles about it has he looked more explosize? Being that he was the 9th pick and a plyer like Merrimam went after him, I think its important for this pick to work out for us.

Archived