Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys open era with Owens

Angus

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA060206.1D.FBNcowboys.owens.2178a696.html

Football: Cowboys open era with Owens

Web Posted: 06/02/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn

Express-News Staff Writer

Terrell Owens and Bill Parcells are bound to interact today during the first practice of the Dallas Cowboys' three-day veterans minicamp.

And when they do, all eyes will be on them.

But at least one NFL observer predicts the much-anticipated Owens-Parcells feud will never come into focus.

"Everybody is going to make this big deal about T.O. and Bill Parcells, and it's really a non-factor," ESPN analyst Joe Theismann said. "When it comes to T.O. this season, we are going to see the butterfly. The moth is in the past."

Theismann says Owens' metamorphosis occurred after the Philadelphia Eagles suspended the five-time Pro Bowl receiver at midseason last year for conduct detrimental to the team.

"The first thing everyone thought of when Dallas signed (Owens) was, 'Wow, Bill Parcells will really know how to handle him,'" Theismann said.

"That's a misnomer because Bill Parcells won't have to do anything to T.O. When the Eagles told him he couldn't play last year, it forced him to look at the game he loves and what is the price of not being able to play it."

Owens signed a three-year, $25 million contract with the Cowboys on March 18, four days after the Eagles released him and the Cowboys cut Keyshawn Johnson.

"Economically, there was an issue in Philadelphia for T.O.," Theismann said. "That issue had been settled. I don't see him being a problem for any coach, whether it's Bill Parcells, Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi."

The minicamp marks Dallas' first on-field look at Owens. It also will mark his first public appearance with Parcells.

Personality conflicts with coaches and teammates ruined Owens' stays in San Francisco and Philadelphia. With that in mind, most NFL pundits predict a rocky relationship with Parcells.

"You wonder how (Owens) is going to deal with Parcells when Parcells jumps in his face, and that time is going to come sooner rather than later," former Dallas safety Darren Woodson told the Ticket 760.

Parcells has plenty of experience coaching headstrong players, including Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor.

"(Parcells) understands how to deal with Terrell Owens," said Woodson, now with ESPN. "The question is, how is Terrell Owens going to deal with Parcells when he drops a crucial ball? Parcells is not going to back down from anyone. I don't care who it is."

But Parcells says he's optimistic his relationship with Owens will be harmonious — provided Owens lives up to his reputation as an intense competitor.

"I don't view it as a gamble," Parcells said of signing Owens. "It's in my best interest that he's successful. And it's in his best interest that he's successful."

Owens reportedly has spent much of this week at Valley Ranch, learning an offense Parcells says won't allow him "to catch 100 balls."

Still, Owens is expected to become Drew Bledsoe's No. 1 target.

"They made a tremendous personnel upgrade over Keyshawn Johnson when they signed T.O.," Theismann said of the Cowboys. "He's got size, speed, hands, toughness, a great work ethic and strength. He's the most complete receiver in the game.

"I thought Drew Bledsoe put it perfectly when he said he became a better quarterback when T.O. signed. Well, that's also true of the Cowboys. They're a better team with T.O."

Not good...how are we going to counter and shut him down man to man?

IRVING, Texas -- Terrell Owens returned Friday to his two favorite places: the football field and the spotlight.

Entering the locker room before his first formal workout with the Dallas Cowboys, Owens smiled wide when he saw the throng of cameras and reporters waiting for him. He excused himself to get lip balm, smeared it on, then kept grinning throughout a 15-minute chat that might still be going on if a team official hadn't ended it.

"I'm here with a great coach, a great team, a great owner," Owens said. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity that I can make to help this team win. That's why they brought me in here."

Then he went about trying to prove it.

Wearing the star logo he once trashed, his fast-selling No. 81 jersey and blue tights that made him easily identifiable, Owens caught every pass thrown his way except one in a nearly two-hour practice -- his first full-squad workout since being banished by the Philadelphia Eagles almost exactly seven months before.

Owens repeatedly beat cornerback Anthony Henry, who ironically was signed last offseason to cover bigger receivers such as Owens. Owens even snagged one pass after slipping during his route.

The only ball he didn't catch came on one of the final plays. Cornerback Terence Newman intercepted it and ran to the end zone amid shouts of joy from safety Keith Davis.

Coach Bill Parcells presumably was impressed by his new receiver, but didn't say. He's refusing to answer any questions about Owens, even saying,"Who?" to an innocuous one after reminding reporters the subject was off limits until training camp.

Owens, meanwhile, answered every question.

Why not? This starts his honeymoon phase in Dallas, with teammates unanimously saying how happy they are to have someone so talented on their side and everyone vowing to give him a clean slate.

"I'll be surprised if anything happens. I really will," said quarterback Drew Bledsoe, the likeliest target of any Owens fits based on his history."He's been welcomed here and will continue to be as long as he's the guy he has been in the past, in terms of his work ethic, his professionalism on the field."

Tight end Jason Witten said: "All I can do is judge him on what I see. So far, he's been great, works really hard."

Owens caught every pass thrown his way except one in a nearly two-hour practice

Owens repeatedly beat cornerback Anthony Henry, who ironically was signed last offseason to cover bigger receivers such as Owens. Owens even snagged one pass after slipping during his route.

The only ball he didn't catch came on one of the final plays. Cornerback Terence Newman intercepted it and ran to the end zone

You are worrying needlessly. TO in practice. I also heard that Brandon Lloyd, ARE and Moss are putting things together quite well. Should the cowboys start fretting about our passing game?

Also, is that Henry on his own with no help? Do you think Gregg is going to leave TO alone out in the field? Do you not believe that guys like Rogers, Taylor, and Springs can't snag a ball and race back to the end-zone on a desperation pass? All this stuff is to please the press and nothing more. It's called minicamp for a reason. Because it's NOT REAL!

Hey RR! Do you honestly believe that Greg Williams will have single coverage on TO? And if so, don't you think that he'll have S.Taylor or ARE waiting in the wings for him? TO is a damn good reciever but he's not invincible. Look at his stats when he's gone against us. Not very impressive.

Archived