Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Still A Little Concerned (about our O-line)

GIBBS LIVES

Only three offensive lines remained intact the whole season last year. We've had a bad run with Jansen going down the previous year and Thomas going down last year.

I'm very concerned after watching Thomas go down last year and Ray Brown basically ran out of gas in the playoffs..then our running game was null and void.

I'm hoping like hell that we can find atleast one decent O-lineman in the June 1st cuts. but recent history (last couple of years) has shown that other teams are holding on to those guys.

I'm not comfortable with the guys who we picked up in free agency a month ago because they rejects from teams that had poor O-lines.

We need depth on that O-line now that we've solved our starting WLB problem.

I'm not comfortable with the guys who we picked up in free agency a month ago because they rejects from teams that had poor O-lines.

Well, one of those two was with Williams in Buffalo, where they had a pretty good running game.

Also, coaching makes a difference. I mean, look at the difference on the offensive line between the Spurrier years, and the Gibbs years. We didn't make wholesale changes there, but they played much better under Gibbs.

Jason

We picked up two offensive linemen in free agency who have been starters but will be depth for us. Molinaro is a backup tackle for us. Albright is a keeper. That's nine guys already. You have one more spot, tops, to keep on the active roster. Alston is there and Gibbs specifically called out Ikechuku Ndukwe as someone the team is highly excited about developing. We may well take another offensive lineman, but, there's not a ton of room given the team has some good young projects already, and decent depth. We don't have Pro Bowlers behind our starters here. I'm not sure any team does.

Just because Tyson Walter started (I beleive due to the real starter being injured)... it doesn't mean that he was a quality starter. He's come to us from the worst offensive line in football. Not excited about counting him as depth on the line.

Pucillo was a good pick up though.

I'm very concerned after watching Thomas go down last year and Ray Brown basically ran out of gas in the playoffs..then our running game was null and void.

Our running game was fine after Randy Thomas went down. In fact, Clinton had 2 of his best games right after that happened.

Our running game struggled when Clinton was sidelined by injuries.

Just because Tyson Walter started (I beleive due to the real starter being injured)... it doesn't mean that he was a quality starter. He's come to us from the worst offensive line in football. Not excited about counting him as depth on the line.

Pucillo was a good pick up though.

I don't think anyone suggests Tyson is a "quality" starter. He's been a starter on two teams in the league. He is probably not a guy we'd want in there for 16 games, but, he is reasonably young and has good experience to fill in if anyone does get hurt for a spell.

Hard to tell if the whole line is playing badly. In any case, it could just be coaching. If not, someone else who is already on the roster will beat him out. (As Art mentioned, Jon Alston and Ikechuku Ndukwe, who were with the team last year.)

I wouldn't be surprised if we do pick a guy late tomorrow, and he sits on the practice squad for the year.

Jason

I don't think anyone suggests Tyson is a "quality" starter. He's been a starter on two teams in the league. He is probably not a guy we'd want in there for 16 games, but, he is reasonably young and has good experience to fill in if anyone does get hurt for a spell.

I guess the way I'm thinking on this is that we had Ray Brown last year, who even at his age was considerably better than Tyson Walter. It could be argued that our line depth has been downgraded compared to last year.

Archived