Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is there no Washington arena football team?

mojobo

there used to be an arena football team that played in the old capital centre...the washington commodores, i believe.

if dan were to start an AFL team, they could play in the verizon center on nights where the wizards were off. if they made the playoffs and their schedule was unstable, the arena team could play in the dc armory, the comcast or the patriot center, or even the reagan convention center..so i seriously doubt that one doesn't exist simply because they don't have a place to play.

Always a matter of personal opinion .. but I love the AFL. Its fast paced, generally lots of scoring and the game isnt over until its over.

For anyone that hasnt watched the AFL, watch a few games and decide for youselves. But if you believe the NFL is the only league or youre expecting it to be NFL Jr. , then yeah, you probably wont like it.

So true. I'm not huge into arena football, but it's definitely fun to watch sometimes during the off-season, and I'd be all about a Washington team. My brother and I discussed this once and we figured a location was probably holding it up, but the Philadelphia Soul I know play in the Wachovia Center, which they share with the 76ers and the Flyers and I'd assume concerts, so I don't see how big the conflict can really be if the Soul and probably other arena teams have to work around the same issues.

Comcast and Patriot Center are out because they are affliated with a college.Not sure but there is some sort of conflict of interest there.The armory s great for an occasional Maze or Anita Baker concert,but not for Arena Football.

okay i just now read all the above.

do we have an NFL Europe farm team?

what is the hierarchy amongst the football "minor" leagues anyway?

No one has an NFL Europe farm team. NFL teams just opt to send players over to the league for developmental purposes where they get a chance to make the roster of one of the Europe teams (note: Antonio Brown evidently didn't make an NFL Europe team). So any given team has players tagged as belonging to different NFL franchises.

I'm pretty sure every player has a badge on their uniform that makes it pretty obvious who sent them to Europe.

Arena Football sounds cool on paper. I remember getting really excited about it when it debuted in 87 with the Washington Commandos.........but after watching it and watching the updated version on NBC now and again, it's really boring.

The beauty of football for me is that it's a game a attrition and I feel that the offense really earns it's points as it marches down a field against a defense. Or stuns a defense with a quick strike. Arena Football has a short field and scoring occurs every other play it seems. It cheapens scoring in my opinion. Good defense now is one or two stops a game. It's nothing but a glorified 7 on 7 drill you see in training camp and it gets boring really quickly.

As for why DC doesn't have a team yet, the reasons stated earlier (no viable venue to house the team) is the biggest reason I suppose. But another reason has to be the fact that DC hasn't supported niche sports all too well. The Commandos plus two indoor lacross teams failed to survive.

DC is a major sports town, there are too many options for the sports public to choose from, Arena Football and leagues like it should be reserved for secondary markets that aren't flooded with sports teams. :2cents:

The reason is plain and simple.The Verizon Center has three tenets.The Wiz,Caps and Mystics.Added time with concerts and the like,there is no time for the team.

True, but no one would notice/care if they moved the Mystics elsewhere.

to answer my own question...

There also is the unresolved state of the Washington AFL franchise to be owned by Dan Snyder. When Snyder announced his Arena Football intentions in 1999, the goal was to start playing by 2003. That did not happen, and where a local AFL team would play remains a riddle. The two local arenas most obvious for an AFL team — MCI Center and Comcast Center — both appear, at least for now, unworkable due to scheduling, monetary or operational issues, not to mention a less than optimal working relationship between Snyder and Abe Pollin.

Snyder also has considered on several occasions building his own arena to house his AFL team, dubbed the Warriors in 1999. But neither the economics nor the available real estate has made that a reality.

AFL, meanwhile, continues to look at other expansion markets as the economy rebounds. Cities on the latest list include Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami and Minneapolis.

"Washington is obviously a place where we need to be," Baker said. "It's a top-10 market [in population], and it's a terrific football city. The issue still out there is which building is the right one for us. It's not an easy situation. We've been working a lot with [snyder partner] Fred Drasner on this effort. There will be a Washington team in either 2005 or 2006. We just don't know which one yet."

Whoa, playing in Comcast Center would be amazing. I am looking at it out my dorm room window right now. Got to love being a Terp.

Arena Football sounds cool on paper. I remember getting really excited about it when it debuted in 87 with the Washington Commandos.........but after watching it and watching the updated version on NBC now and again, it's really boring.

The beauty of football for me is that it's a game a attrition and I feel that the offense really earns it's points as it marches down a field against a defense. Or stuns a defense with a quick strike. Arena Football has a short field and scoring occurs every other play it seems. It cheapens scoring in my opinion. Good defense now is one or two stops a game. It's nothing but a glorified 7 on 7 drill you see in training camp and it gets boring really quickly.

I understand the sentiment. Until I bought the Arena Football game for PS2 I didn't understand the rules. There are quite a few differences between AFL and NFL. Also, a football purist will have serious issues with arena football because defense and running the football is scarce.

However, much like an Arnold Schwarzenegger, you have to take it at face value. The games are entertaining, speed kills, and touchdowns are more frequent than Bledsoe sacks. If Snyder ever finds a way to get the Warriors franchise rolling I would definately be a fan. If only the Mystics weren't taking up all the good game days.......

Now that 6 flags is trying to focus more on entertainment and less on the roller coasters, I was wondering if they'd consider building an arena for the Warriors. The parking lot would already be there, and games would draw additional guests to the park if advertised together. The arena could also be a place for park shows.

Archived