Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clarification on Jason Campbell's faith

SkinsNatsFan

Faith is important to Gibbs, not because he wants fellow christians around him, but because he realizes that people with faith, people who are very devote (regardless of their specific religion), are more likely to have a stronger work ethic and will be more likely to but into the system and team. I am not saying you have to have faith to do these things, or that people with faith do them better, but coming out of college, knowing that the guy you are drafting is very religious helps your chances of him being a great team player and not having major off-field issues/distractions.

Just my thoughts

Faith is important to Gibbs, not because he wants fellow christians around him, but because he realizes that people with faith, people who are very devote (regardless of their specific religion), are more likely to have a stronger work ethic and will be more likely to but into the system and team. I am not saying you have to have faith to do these things, or that people with faith do them better, but coming out of college, knowing that the guy you are drafting is very religious helps your chances of him being a great team player and not having major off-field issues/distractions.

Just my thoughts

In all respect, I disagree. I think that religion doesn't necessarily denote anything about a person's character. Some people are religious just because they were brought up that way and never questioned it. Heck, some people are so devoted to their religion that it can lead to conflicts. Religion can be a good thing, but it isn't always that way. I don't believe being religious means much of anything about a player other then just that... that they are religious. Now, I'm not saying that religion is negative, I just don't believe it is particularly positive either. I think it is what it is, and has little to do with football. :2cents:

I hope that is only a small part of how he judges people. I have met some pretty big, self-absorbed, me-first guys who are Christians and some pretty good atheists. The other way as well but my point is being a Jesus-freak doesn't give you any football bonus over atheists, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics or Karaoke singers IMO. People are people and their upbringing has a lot more to do with how they are than faith.

I have a feeling this thread will be moved to the Tailgate.

I was just simply stating that it is probably safe to say Coach Gibbs takes it into account. I didn't single out Christianity, or Judaism, etc. Faith is faith. Players who realize that there are things MUCH bigger than football is a character trait Gibbs looks for.

When all the so-called "pundits" claimed the game had passed Gibbs by upon his return and 6-10 record, Gibbs humbly replied that while that may be true, human nature is a constant. His faith and outlook on life is what he credits to his success. He looks for the same in his players. Among other reasons, it's why he pursued Brunell. After scouting reports and background checks, it's probably what made him trade our first rounder to Denver to snag Campbell.

I don't think my first post was off-based and we're probably violently in agreement here.

I hope that is only a small part of how he judges people. I have met some pretty big, self-absorbed, me-first guys who are Christians and some pretty good atheists. The other way as well but my point is being a Jesus-freak doesn't give you any football bonus over atheists, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics or Karaoke singers IMO. People are people and their upbringing has a lot more to do with how they are than faith.

Amen.

Good work SkinsNatsFan, thanks for doing the leg work to clear up the implacations about Jason in that other thread.

:cheers:

Thanks Pete. Regardless of how people feel about religion and sports figures, it's good to at least start with accurate information about the individuals being discussed.

Well, I dont think Gibbs makes football decisions based on the faith of the player. But, I'm sure that for him, its a bonus. The aforementioned thread was lunacy.

Ya know, I disagree, I think Gibbs does have that be a part of the decision. Not in a way that REQUIRES them to be a Christian to be on the team (obviously) but more a if they are a Christian...thats something that is going to carry some weight. Because having a bond that goes so much deeper than football or anything in this world can go a long way....and he knows that. Since Joe has been back I've never heard more players on the team talk about how much of "blessing from God" it is to do this or that. It wouldnt surprise me one bit if the "character" Gibbs always talks about and looks for has something to do with being a believer too.

In all respect, I disagree. I think that religion doesn't necessarily denote anything about a person's character. Some people are religious just because they were brought up that way and never questioned it. Heck, some people are so devoted to their religion that it can lead to conflicts. Religion can be a good thing, but it isn't always that way. I don't believe being religious means much of anything about a player other then just that... that they are religious. Now, I'm not saying that religion is negative, I just don't believe it is particularly positive either. I think it is what it is, and has little to do with football.

I wish to lobby for implementation of full separation of church and football.

It constantly surprises me on how people become obsessed with an athletes personal life
People dig up and make up dirt on other people just to make themselves feel or look better, a way to hide there own garbage instead of being a man and facing it.

Its obvious someone is jealous or feel threatend by JC, who ever the idiot was I hope JC eventualy scortches there team and any others that stand in our way.

I don't have anything at all against Christians, I'm not one, but I would find it very disturbing to know that Gibbs would let someone's religious beliefs weigh in on his personnel decisions. And I don't believe a word of that myself.

Most of the time...those two things go hand in hand.

It also helps divide our country and our World. I will agree that that any religion helps build character in a person but does it have to be Christianity. Some of the most fcked up people in the world are religious. So what can you say to that? Does your God teach you to be such a smart *** ? I don't know you and I am only judging you by the way you came into this thread and I'm sorry for that.

• 2 weeks later...
It also helps divide our country and our World. I will agree that that any religion helps build character in a person but does it have to be Christianity. Some of the most fcked up people in the world are religious. So what can you say to that? Does your God teach you to be such a smart *** ? I don't know you and I am only judging you by the way you came into this thread and I'm sorry for that.

I wasn't being a smart *** at all. I was being completely honest and respectful. If you took it that way then you probably are taking offense to the whole subject in general and just saw my comment as "smart". But quite honestly, those two things DO go hand in hand, and if you knew Christ you too would want Him (Christ) to be involved in every aspect of not only your life but also the lives of other people, including the Wasington Redskins. Again, don't take this as forceful or "smart" I am being as kind as i possibly can be and i promise that if we were talking in person you would not find hostility in my voice. God Bless man.

Archived