Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough talk about small receivers! We have CHRIS COOLEY!

While I agree that we dont need a big reciever, your arguement has a rather large hole in it.

Cooley is not a WR. Cooley will not get down the field, or get outside like a possesion WR, and will not be matched up against a corner. It is not the same thing.

So? Cooley can go over the middle and is more resistant to hits from LBs and safeties than smaller guys. Santana Moss will get downfield and Lloyd has the ups and the height at 6' to play extremely well on the outside against corners (especially #2 CBs). The argument is still a very good one because it points out that we currently have players capable of filling specific roles that help to open up the field for our offense.

One tall receiver doesn't make the rest of them any taller. But who cares if they're tall or not? Do they catch the ball? Do they run after they catch the ball? That's all that matters.

I don't care if the Eagles best receiver was 3 foot 9. If he catches and scores. More power to him.

Thats so very true...geez I just caught myself agreeing with an Eagle:puke:

Ok so now that I got that out of the way, yes I see no reason for excuses in height. If a man like Cooley can catch the ball, or the size of Randle El who cares. You can make the arguement that weight can make a difference but if you are catching and making positive yardage then more power to you. Everyone in the league loves the taller wr for leverage in the end zone. Thats where you toss it to someone who has the height advantage. Remember some of these "SHORTIES" have ups! :2cents:

I like Cooley, but he was held in check in the playoff games. Gotta have the deep threat to let the H back find a hole somewhere. This is really a thread that wasn't thought out to well guy. Cooley has no deep threat at all. That's why receivers were a big priority.

I like Cooley, but he was held in check in the playoff games. Gotta have the deep threat to let the H back find a hole somewhere. This is really a thread that wasn't thought out to well guy. Cooley has no deep threat at all. That's why receivers were a big priority.

Cooley was on the injury report or was being reported as having a pulled groin i think it happened the week leading up to the finale vs. philly or during the philly game. If you have ever had a groin injury you know you cant run 100% no matter what and you could tell that cooley was frustrated as hell because he couldnt run full speed. I remember him running a route over the middle during the tampa game on 3rd down and it was thrown a little bit in front of him and he couldnt get it... he kept running to the skins sideline and slammed his helmet.

I'm excited to see how Al Saunders will use him. He's not quite a Tony Gonzales-type athlete, but in KC it was definitely a tight end-friendly offense. I think Cooley could go on to put up even better numbers than he did last year.

My thoughts exactly. He had a very productive season last year, and things only look brighter for Cooley.

I read that one writer (I think for SI) said we need a big receiver who could out muscle safeties like Roy Williams. EXCUSE ME, But how many times did Moss TOAST Williams for TDs in the first Dallas game last year? Not once but TWICE! Maybe it's just my opinion, but if Roy Williams can't even keep up with our receivers, why do they need to out muscle him?

:dallasuck

So? Cooley can go over the middle and is more resistant to hits from LBs and safeties than smaller guys. Santana Moss will get downfield and Lloyd has the ups and the height at 6' to play extremely well on the outside against corners (especially #2 CBs). The argument is still a very good one because it points out that we currently have players capable of filling specific roles that help to open up the field for our offense.

Wrong. Cooley does not usually line up outside, as a possesion reciever would. When Cooley goes over the middle, as is almost always because he is lined up at TE or HBack, he is lined up against a LB, or if they drop into zone, several of them. A possesion WR would be lined up against a CB. There is a rather large difference. Cooley is not a possesion reciever, unless we decided to use him as such(of course you could still make an arguement on his speed, not being quite that of a reciever). That being said, we dont need a possesion reciever.

Guest santana4prez
Yeah he really sucked in week 15. :rolleyes:

He also caught the TD from Portis the next week vs the Giants.:cheers:

Chris Cooley will beast in 2006 b/c of the talent that is around him.

Guest santana4prez
Cooley is not a WR!!!! He is also not that big and not that fast. He is a great player but lets not overhype him.

Yeah he is just a football player not flashy but a guy who can make a clutch play. He is a guy who is tall enough to make a catch in the red zone if we need him too. Chirs Cooley is a great TE/HB.

I really dont understand why people knock on short WRs. If the guy can make plays and catch the football who cares.

But can he sprint past Roy Williams on a fly pattern?
STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE COWBOYS THEY ARE ONLY 2 GAMES OUT OF 16. WE CAN BEAT THEM WE NEED TO JUST PLAY OUR GAME AND EXICUTE OUR GAME. THE REDSKINS CONTROLL THEIR OWN DESTINY, OUR MAIN GOAL IS THE SUPERBOWL, NOT DALLAS. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!:pint:

What's up with coach Joe Gibbs and small receivers? Three championships, that's what's up! Do you remember the "Smurfs, Posses and the Fun Bunch?" They were all small receivers but they won championships.

Now comes the new batch of receivers...Lloyd, Randle El, Moss, Patten, Cooley, Fauria and Portis (out of the backfield). What can any defense do with all that offensive weapon? Nothing, nothing at all!

Archived