Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Banks: Free Agency Winners and Losers

hokie4redskins

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/don_banks/03/11/winners.losers/index.html

It's like deja vu, check out this losers' section...

3. Washington Redskins -- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and hopefully for the rest of Snyder's damn-the-torpedoes tenure, the Redskins will pay for their annual free-agent spending binge. They can cook the books and shove the salary-cap bills off for a year or two, but it's going to catch up with them at some point. When it does, it's not going to be pretty. But then, Washington fans have gotten used to ugly in the past four seasons, haven't they?

Look, the moves always appear good on paper in March. But somehow, when the season rolls around, the pieces of the puzzle never quite lock together. Mark Brunell seems like a luxury buy. Clinton Portis is the real deal, but the Redskins should have gotten a second-round pick from Denver, not given one up. Cornelius Griffin is better than what the Redskins had, but he's not a premier run-stuffer. Phillip Daniels? Springs? Marcus Washington? You can't pan their signings, but you shouldn't hurt yourself praising them, either.

Washington likely will have just one pick in this year's draft, and that's where you get young, inexpensive labor in this league. But that takes patience, and there's never enough of that in D.C. As always, the Redskins have a plan. It's just that it seems so willy-nilly. Again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/03/11/banks.burning.questions/

2. Ten days into free agency, what's the most improved unit in the NFL?

It's hard to argue that any group has done more to better themselves this offseason than the Minnesota Vikings defense, that reputationally challenged unit that perennially ranks near the bottom of the league (28th overall in 2004 and 29th against the pass). Starting with the Randy Moss trade, when they obtained linebacker Napoleon Harris, the Vikings have added a new starter to each of their three defensive segments: Harris, defensive tackle Pat Williams and cornerback Fred Smoot.

These are Don Banks expert picks last yr. These clowns do nto get many things right.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/don_banks/03/11/winners.losers/index.html

It's like deja vu' date=' check out this losers' section...

3. Washington Redskins -- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and hopefully for the rest of Snyder's damn-the-torpedoes tenure, the Redskins will pay for their annual free-agent spending binge. They can cook the books and shove the salary-cap bills off for a year or two, but it's going to catch up with them at some point. When it does, it's not going to be pretty. But then, Washington fans have gotten used to ugly in the past four seasons, haven't they?

Look, the moves always appear good on paper in March. But somehow, when the season rolls around, the pieces of the puzzle never quite lock together. Mark Brunell seems like a luxury buy. Clinton Portis is the real deal, but the Redskins should have gotten a second-round pick from Denver, not given one up. Cornelius Griffin is better than what the Redskins had, but he's not a premier run-stuffer. Phillip Daniels? Springs? Marcus Washington? You can't pan their signings, but you shouldn't hurt yourself praising them, either.

Washington likely will have just one pick in this year's draft, and that's where you get young, inexpensive labor in this league. But that takes patience, and there's never enough of that in D.C. As always, the Redskins have a plan. It's just that it seems so willy-nilly. Again.[/quote']

Washington? Springs? Daniels? LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO. And we keep reading these articles.

Winners:

3. Dallas -- .....and prepared for the possible release of Larry Allen by re-signing guard Andre Gurode, adding Jets tackle Jason Fabini and picking up Lions guard-tackle Kyle Kosier.

Losers:

4. Washington -- Even reserve tight end Fauria and backup quarterback Todd Collins got in on the money train.

So wait, Dallas prepared for the possible release of Larry Allen by resigning a player that couldn't start for a seriously porous and depleted line last year, one that every talking head stated was their biggest weakness, and this is seen as a good thing? They add an aging Tackle who was good a few years ago but is coming off of two straight injury riddled seasons and the Jets couldn't get rid of him fast enough. This signing is an exact copy of the Marco Rivera signing last year that blew up in their faces. One that has them signing more OL this year. They also brought in a backup.

Washington adding depth however is seen as getting on the money train.

Unreal.

Hey guys, apparently "one day" our spending is going to catch up with us.

:laugh:

What a joker. This is what happens when you teach bitter, pathetic, jealous Ravens fans how to read and write.

How's the QB situation in B-more looking, Don? Not so good, huh? Too bad. Well, you can always cheer yourself up by writing an article where you try and convince yourself and others that the Redskins are headed for "Cap Hell". And your fanboy Raven fan flock (the only people who pay any attention to Banks' columns anymore) can laugh at the Redskins while we build our SB team.

Boy, as a Redskins fan, I can't tell you how concerned I am about the salary cap. We've been hearing all of this spending is going to bite us for, what, 6 straight years now. I mean, eventually it HAS to happen, right?

Oh, and how about that worst 3-0 team in NFL history? They did alright for themselves, you know, considering how bad they were.

Washington likely will have just one pick in this year's draft, and that's where you get young, inexpensive labor in this league. But that takes patience, and there's never enough of that in D.C. As always, the Redskins have a plan. It's just that it seems so willy-nilly. Again.[/quote']

:notworthy Good call two-all-beef-patty-boy!!!!!

He's an idiot. We need other threats in the passing game and added 2 WRs. We needed a pass rush from the DL and added Carter. We added a sure handed veteran at TE and a safety that fits perfectly with our defense. But, oh yeah, we're big losers. :laugh:

3. Washington Redskins -- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and hopefully for the rest of Snyder's damn-the-torpedoes tenure, the Redskins will pay for their annual free-agent spending binge.

Hopefully, Donny? I think this pretty much sums it up. What a douche.

It is Snyders fault. He does not talk to them. When you do not talk to the media it is seen as a sin. It makes it harder for them to do their job. All these internet guys like Peter king , Don Banks, CBS sportsline guys get all their information from talking to owners and memebers of the organization. Snyder does not even do interviews so these guys are bitter.

It is like Barry Bonds. If he was a nice guy like Palmero these storys would be so over blown. But since he does not talk to these newspaper guys you got guys writing tell all books on him.

The media are a spiteful bunch of pricks.

This shmoe actually thought he was making sense??...lol

Here's a hint: if you have to list SIX FA PICKUPS aquired in ONE OFFSEASON and try to convince your readers that they aren't really as good as they might think, then you're already admitting you're wrong. Every team has one or two players that may be overrated...NO team has six freakin' players that are. When you start listing THAT many players, it's both a sign that the coaches and the system are making those individual players perform better than you may think they should be...and it's a sign that you're really not wanting to acknowledge anything good about that same team.

Here's another hint: at least appear to remain consistent, if not over the length of your article, then at least over the length of one paragraph:

"Look, the moves always appear good on paper in March. But somehow, when the season rolls around, the pieces of the puzzle never quite lock together....Phillip Daniels? Springs? Marcus Washington? You can't pan their signings, but you shouldn't hurt yourself praising them, either."

Um, didn't you just pan those signings in your first few sentences by claiming those very same signings only looked good "on paper" but never quite locked together"??...

Last hint: make some freakin' got damn sense when you write your articles. If having the #1 defense in the NFC right after singing those same players isn't "quite locking together", then what the hell is??!!

This shmoe actually thought he was making sense??...lol

Here's a hint: if you have to list SIX FA PICKUPS aquired in ONE OFFSEASON and try to convince your readers that they aren't really as good as they might think, then you're already admitting you're wrong. Every team has one or two players that may be overrated...NO team has six freakin' players that are. When you start listing THAT many players, it's both a sign that the coaches and the system are making those individual players perform better than you may think they should be...and it's a sign that you're really not wanting to acknowledge anything good about that same team.

Here's another hint: at least appear to remain consistent, if not over the length of your article, then at least over the length of one paragraph:

"Look, the moves always appear good on paper in March. But somehow, when the season rolls around, the pieces of the puzzle never quite lock together....Phillip Daniels? Springs? Marcus Washington? You can't pan their signings, but you shouldn't hurt yourself praising them, either."

Um, didn't you just pan those signings in your first few sentences by claiming those very same signings only looked good "on paper" but never quite locked together"??...

Last hint: make some freakin' got damn sense when you write your articles. If having the #1 defense in the NFC right after singing those same players isn't "quite locking together", then what the hell is??!!

Nobody is dumb as Steve Czaben. He was arguing how the Redskins are still a dumb team. They should sat Coles the whole yr and not traded him.

And then one caller said we got Santana Moss. And Czaben was like oh yeah i forgot about that.

LOL, he rips the Pats for losing Fauria and rips us for signing him:

Those were the big-name losses, but there were other subtractions as well. Handy reserve tight end Christian Fauria cashed in on the spending spree in Washington

followed by,

Even reserve tight end Fauria and backup quarterback Todd Collins got in on the money train.

I do believe I just found my topic for this week's column. Thanks, Don. :)

I hope you embarass him in your article. He deserves it.

The icing on the cake is when he praises the R.W. McQuarters signing by the Giants. that guy is horrible. :helmet:

As I said last year when all the predictors had us rated as low as 28th best team in the league, the skins need to go out and win and prove all these people wrong. The team did it last year and now they have to improve and do it again.

I agree and it seems to me it helps us, because the team gets to prove them wrong. I'd rather go in a bit of a sleeper then the favorite to win the Super Bowl. Three cheers for the nasties at SI.

:dallasuck

As always' date=' the Redskins have a plan. It's just that it seems so willy-nilly. Again.[/quote']

Yes and we are going to salary cap hell again. We have been to salary cap hell before, and we like it as somebody already said.

Obviously Snyder, Vinny, and the salary cap guru know exactly what they are doing, and are doing a better job managing the salary cap then any other team. Yes, we are overpaying for many of our players but Snyder and friends always find a way to avoid salary cap problems :2cents:

I had a good laugh last night. When I got home, and was checking my snail mail, I got a "free trial of SI" offer my in my mailbox. Seriously, I was lauging my butt off for like 5 minutes. Just so what I do, when I see one of those SI offer cards. Just write "HAIL TO THE REDSKINS" as big as you can, with the brighest RED Sharpie you can find. And stick in the mailbox. Just think, they had to pay postage on that card. :) Gotta love it, they are paying postage for me proclaiming my love for my 'Skins :)

HTTR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the Redskins weren't winners in FA than nobody was. The team went to the second round of the playoffs. The biggest weakness was the receiving core. I would think adding Randel El as a #2 and Lloyd as a #3 to fight w/ Patten for playing time turns our receiving core into a strength. Lloyd was probably the best player on the 49ers last year and we got him for a 3rd and 4th round pick. small price to pay for an up and coming receiver in the NFL. We finally have a legitimate pass rusher in A. Carter. I thought a few years ago he was the next great pass rusher in the NFL. He had a few injuries and then changed positions, which was a dumb move by the 49ers. I am most excited about the Carter signing. He has double digit sack potential and is supposedly a very hard worker who should fit right in. The Archuleta signing was questionable for the money, but look at the defensive signings under G. Williams. He obviously knows what type of player he wants and most have worked out great. Fatsobelly made a comment that we now have two of the same type safeties w/ Arch and Taylor which is just an ignorant comment. He claims they are not good in coverage. Is that why our secondary was torched in the 1st game against Tampa when Taylor was hurt. Taylor is very good in coverage and this will give him more opportunities to make plays in coverage. This was a great year in FA for us. Yes we spent alot but we always will be aggressive. And until it catches up w/ us we should keep doing it this way. I wish we had more draft picks but w/ the signings we can take the BPA w/ our picks. Gibbs would rather have proven players over picks so I can't argue w/ that philosophy as long as we can afford it. HTTR!

Yet another reason to tell your friends and family to BOYCOTT SPORTS ILLUSTRATED!!!

I have had an issue with Sports Illustrated for years now, I still have never received any of my gifts from my 2004 subscription(Redskins beach chair and hoodie). Not only have I not received them, but I have been issued about 10 incident #'s one of which is 4077213, and none have been followed up on. I obviously cancelled my subscription without any regrets. Not only do you refuse to make good on promises now the magazine has become a biased congregation of the most narrow-minded idiot NFL writers in the nation. The constant bashing of the Redskins by writers such as Peter "Burger" King and Don "Butthead" Banks makes me ill. No other team in the league is looked at so negatively no matter what they do on and off the field. Obviously there is no way to shut these losers up because even if we win they will twist it into some distorted narrative about Dan Snyder or our constant domination of the free agency market, which never seems to catch up with us. Basically I am just saying once again that I hate SI. I and a good amount of people from the Washington area refuse to support this magazine for its blatant refusal to objectively report anything to do with the NFL. Thanks. Can't wait to see the NFC East projections next year. You'll do better taking every thought you have and turning it 180*.

Just emailed that to Customer Service...I hate SI

:redpunch: Don Banks

:finger: "Little" Peter King

Sports Illustrated's opinion:insane:

SI as a whole:hammer:

SI's mission:bsflag:

Glory will be ours :point2sky

Am I the only one who is curious why Don Banks does not have a mailbag? I think it would look like this: Cowboy fans praising him and making assanine Super Bowl predictions, while everyone else would be left wondering if Mr. Banks should be working at Burger King, making flame broiled whoppers while wearing paper hats.

He is about as objective as David Duke at the Million Man March!

P.S. Drew Brees will NOT be the same QB. He has a torn labrum which ends many a pitcher's career in baseball. Plus the Saints signed him AND Don Banks likes the move. He's done.

Oh no, Banks said it so it must be true! Joe Gibbs is clueless and doesn't know what he is doing...he's all washed up. We may as well all give our season tickets away now.

Seriously. Come on, who gives a hoot what this guy Banks says.

I wonder if we would've been deemed "winners" if we signed TO.

:rolleyes:

The SI ilk used to infuriate me, but now their blatant hatred has become comical for me.

It sure has.....look at last year's FA moves by the Skins.

Little pick ups and we made bad moves according to them--- didn't spend enough, should have kept Pierce, Smoot and drafted Mike Williams.

Same with this year.....bigger moves-- we spent too much.

Had we gotten TO, I don't even want to imagine the spew of hatred coming from Banks, Lenny P. and Prico's..... thankfully we didn't go after him. They can prasie the Cowboys as much as they want. Be for sure the Eagles (and their fans) will be gunning for him.

The fact that they say we're not making good moves gives me hope about the 2006 team. Last year they had us winning 6 or less and we go 10-6.

I hope they say we'll be the worst team.....we'll probably win the SB.

Archived