Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Surprise surprise, Tim Kaine wants to raise taxes

SkinsHokieFan

How about using some of that surplus VA has, and exploring other ideas such as HOT lanes that we are gonna have in northern va in the next few years

I am all for more transportation dollars, but how much you want to bet Northern Va will pay the most and recieve the least :doh:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/18/AR2006031801448.html

Kaine Set for a Tour to Promote Higher Taxes for Transportation

Governor in Battle Amid Budget Stalemate; GOP Readies Response

By Michael D. Shear

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, March 19, 2006; Page C06

RICHMOND -- Gov. Timothy M. Kaine plans to barnstorm this week on behalf of higher taxes for roads and transit, holding town hall meetings in southwest Virginia even as lawmakers remain deadlocked on the state's budget.

Back from a week-long trip to visit National Guard troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, Kaine (D) will stump for his $1 billion-a-year transportation plan in Bristol and Hillsville at the beginning of the week.

Cut, click on link

How is Warner responsible for the rampant gang activity? Honest question; this is the first I've heard that he's responsible for it.

A governer has the authority and resources (especially with all of those taxes) to fight crime in his state. Rudy Guliani did it in NYC when NYC had hit an all-time high in crime. Warner wasn't responsible for the gang activity, he was responsible for not doing enough about it. It grew and festered while he was Governer.

When did he promise not to raise taxes?

Agree with that, I do not think he ever said he would not raise taxes

This to me though is quite frankly no surprise

What bothers me the most is, with transportation there are so many oppurtunities to avoid taxing the general public. Tolls can be used very well, now that virtually everyone has an EZ pass

Guest Gichin13

Exactly how would you folks suggest coming up with a billion dollars a year for transportation funding without taxes? A couple hot lanes is not going to do it. Anyone who says you do not need an additional billion a year in funding is utterly clueless. I have read the studies and deal with folks that are very educated on this issue. Go check out the Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance information -- they are non-partisan and very accurate on their data. The state needs another billion minimum, and really needs more than that, to deal with transportation, and we need it now.

Transportation is the best return on tax dollars for Northern Virginia. Dave Albo, a pretty conservative house member from Fairfax, was recently quoted as stating that Fairfax pays 28 % of income tax and 16% of sales tax for the state, but gets around 7% of the education funding. On transportation funding, No Va actually nets around half, which is way better than any other area of statewide budget spending.

The reality is No Va gets raped by the rest of the state. It really should be interesting after the next census when the majority of the population of the state is in No Va and everything gets redistricted. Watch out then.

The Republican dominated Senate in Virginia passed a transportation funding bill that includes $1 billion dollars a year. Kaine has pretty much jumped on this wagon which is a bit different from his original outlay after his "adequate public facilities" legislation was rightfully thrashed in the House.

The biggest different between the house version and the senate version is approval for an increase in the grantor's tax for recording deeds. That portion of the bill covers roughly $225 or so million a year out of the billion. The sweet part, though, is that grantor's tax is property value driven so the overwhelming impact of that tax is to fund No Va transportation. The funds stay in the locality that generates the tax. Out of the total billion generated by the Senate plan, over $300 million comes to No Va.

The biggest opponent to the grantor's tax is the realtors lobby. They pocket 6% of virtually every home sale ... and are objecting to an increase from $1 per thousand to $3 per thousand for recordation fees. Similar taxes on home sales in Maryland are well into the multiples of even the increased rate. For example, 2004, Montgomery County was a 1% fee plus $3.45 per $500 recordation fee. (Source)http://www.metrotitleco.com/2003-2004_Maryland_Recordation_Tax_Rates.html

Explain to me the realtors netting 5-6% of every deal with little or no work for the last four years, and then complaining about a 2/10% tax increase to fund transportation.

In contrast, the building industry in Northern Virginia is actually quietly supportive of the grantor's tax increase despite their being about as conservative, pro-property rights, anti-tax a group as you can find. We desparately need this funding or else this area is going to be choked in traffic with no outlet. This measure really needs broad support and pressure to get passed.

So in conclusion, Kaine never promised to raise taxes, didn't bring gangs to Virginia, and is working on a transport system that will help the Northern Virginia area. Sounds like people got worked up over nothing.

I don't have a problem with a tax increase IF he does good stuff with it. Helpin edumacation and da popo ain't too bad, ya heard?

In contrast, the building industry in Northern Virginia is actually quietly supportive of the grantor's tax increase despite their being about as conservative, pro-property rights, anti-tax a group as you can find. We desparately need this funding or else this area is going to be choked in traffic with no outlet. This measure really needs broad support and pressure to get passed.

Of course they are. It's easier to access land they want to pave and a better sell if there are nice big roads already there. Of course, more roads, more people using the roads and more wear and tear

(1.) So in conclusion, Kaine...didn't bring gangs to Virginia

(2.)Helpin edumacation and da popo ain't too bad, ya heard?

(1.) Well wait a minute now, I thought I saw them carpooling with him down to Fairfax. ;)

(2.) Popo? Oh hell no, let's not get Mr. Bawa involved in this. He'd just be a big pain in the ass.

Exactly how would you folks suggest coming up with a billion dollars a year for transportation funding without taxes? A couple hot lanes is not going to do it.

I think public transportation (buses/metro) needs to be expanded in Northern, VA rather than more funds put into expanding roads that are going to be just as congested 5 years later anyhow. Don't liberals support creating less demand for oil?

(1.) Well wait a minute now, I thought I saw them carpooling with him down to Fairfax. ;)

Yes, he was probably giving them free blow jobs as well for protection. Let's just ignore the fact that MS13 became "the greatest civil threat" to Northern Virginia under his watch. It was a very soft market for ruthless gangs who like to decapitate people with machetes.

(2.) Popo? Oh hell no, let's not get Mr. Bawa involved in this. He'd just be a big pain in the ass.

Don't blame Kaine for that, he was simply committing mild terrorism which is every democrats birthright. And then he practiced witchcraft and converted all our students into pagans.

I think public transportation (buses/metro) needs to be expanded in Northern, VA rather than more funds put into expanding roads that are going to be just as congested 5 years later anyhow. Don't liberals support creating less demand for oil?

Yeah, and see for you libs in NOVA that are complaining about paying taxes only to see it go to other parts of the state, I thought libs liked it when daddy government taxed them and gave it to other folks.

At least, that's what they always advocate

Yes, he was probably giving them free blow jobs as well for protection. Let's just ignore the fact that MS13 became "the greatest civil threat" to Northern Virginia under his watch. It was a very soft market for ruthless gangs who like to decapitate people with machetes.

I didn't see you doing anything to stop em :). Don't conservatives believe in individual responsibility?

Yeah, and see for you libs in NOVA that are complaining about paying taxes only to see it go to other parts of the state, I thought libs liked it when daddy government taxed them and gave it to other folks.

At least, that's what they always advocate

Its the conservative NoVAns that are complaining about the taxes. And worrying about not recieving the lions share of the benefits. Its ok Sarge, we still like daddy government!

I didn't see you doing anything to stop em :). Don't conservatives believe in individual responsibility?

Yes, we also believe in individual resources. So was Mark Warner expecting individual conservatives to fight off rampant crime in NOVA with personal resources instead of government resources? Dude, you're candidate is a weak-tit and let's just hope it doesn't bite you personally in the ass one day like it has NOVA society in general.

I'm more miffed that Kaine hasn't looked elsewhere for the funds first. Just like a Democrat to decide immediately that the best way to raise the funds is to tax the people. What about the myriad of other entitlement and welfare programs that do nothing for the people? What about the billion dollar surplus from several years back. When it was determined that the tax increase wasn't needed and a suplus was formed... did the Warner and his minions give the money back to the people? Hell no... they decided to save it for a rainy day.

Find a large part of the money in useless state programs that are already eating up our tax dollars...... then let's talk about raising taxes to fund the transportation bill that subsequently generate more revenue for the state.

Guest Gichin13
Of course they are. It's easier to access land they want to pave and a better sell if there are nice big roads already there. Of course, more roads, more people using the roads and more wear and tear

This is the first time they have ever taken that stance after literally decades of fighting a grantor's tax.

That being said, I agree with you that it is in the building industry's enlightened self interest to continue to support transportation funding to permit more construction. The reality is this area will add millions whether the funding is there or not ... it is only a question of how far out they move in, how far they drive, and how much that extra exurb traffic strains an already poorly planned system. It really is too bad Fairfax has fought expansion of Metro since the 1970's or we could have more hubbed urban core style density development like Arlington, but they are headed that way now (look at the plans for Tysons).

Guest Gichin13
So in conclusion, Kaine never promised to raise taxes, didn't bring gangs to Virginia, and is working on a transport system that will help the Northern Virginia area. Sounds like people got worked up over nothing.

I don't have a problem with a tax increase IF he does good stuff with it. Helpin edumacation and da popo ain't too bad, ya heard?

Pretty much all of the proposed funding sources in the original Kaine plan, the passed Senate plan, and the passed House plan are all devoted solely and specifically to transportation. There is always the potential for future legislative changes, but it would be a really tough sell given the entire exercise has been to match education's dedicated funding source with a transportation funding source that does not come from general funds.

Archived