Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Team Will Take a Look at Goodwin Next Week

visionary

Next week Goodwin is coming to town.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/16/AR2006031601802_pf.html

"Free agent offensive lineman Jonathan Goodwin is scheduled to visit the Washington Redskins on Monday, team and league sources said, as the club executes its second wave of offseason maneuvering to add depth. Coach Joe Gibbs said the team is essentially finished with its major splurges after signing five players in the first three days of free agency, but the Redskins are still pursuing a center-guard, a starting-caliber linebacker and a defensive back."

"Goodwin, 27, has spent his four-year career with the New York Jets since being selected from Michigan in the fifth round of the 2002 draft. He would be a solid backup at center and guard, and has played primarily right guard for the Jets. Goodwin started 10 games last season, and has also excelled on special teams. Goodwin is 6 feet 3, 318 pounds, and the Redskins are seeking one veteran to replace their two primary depth linemen from 2005 -- veterans Ray Brown and Cory Raymer; Brown retired and Raymer was released last week."

(don't usually post threads in here, but I didn't see this anywhere to my surprise, since it came out at least half an hour ago, so....)

I hope we try to get Mitchell too by the way. We need to add At Least two starting/stop-gap quality o-linemen

So would you guys be satisfied as far as OL depth is concerned if we sign this guy? We'd have all our starters return, Molinaro backing up tackle and this guy for center/guard. I'd be happy if we got him and used one or two of our late round (6 or 7) picks on developmental linemen.

We had trouble last year, so I think we need to sign a top backup guard and a top backup center, and maybe one or two other medium range o-line backups, to bring into camp at least. We may be able to get some in the draft though. (maybe trading down with the 2nd round pick to the 3rd or 4th round). But we also need another CB and LB.

It would be a lot easier if the backup o-linemen we already have would should a bit more promise.

Hey visionary, I was hoping on the Mitchell signing myself. Have you heard any word on what the hold up is on him signing?

No, I haven't heard anything new about him since the report that we brought him in or were interested him, or whatever. I like him and this other guy though. They could help a lot I think.

So, apparently we aren't done with free agency. A starting caliber linebacker and CB are looking to be acquired through free agency. How many more starting caliber linebackers are left in the pool? So if O-line depth, LB, and CB depth will be solved thru FA, what does that leave for the draft? I'm hoping we package our 2nd with something to move into the late 1st to pick up a natural receiving TE like Pope or Lewis. I really hope we can get Lewis. He's 6'6, has good hands, and what's more, can block. I know Pope will be gone, as well as Davis and I never really like Fasano. Fasano is slow and doesn't seem to have natural athleticism.

Gibbs said that with a new CBA, the Redskins would attempt to fill all their needs in free agency and draft the best available players in the draft.

Modest free agent moves remaining?

Sign Jamar Fletcher as a nickel back.

Sign Jonothan Goodman as a utility OL backup.

Sign Sam Cowart to play MLB and move Marshall to weakside.

That would cover most of the holes in the roster. I'd still like to see more depth on the OL and at the DT positions.

Archived