Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Portis Rush For 2,000 Yards In This Offense?

I was just thinking that if the offensive line continues to improve and perform very well and the passing game improves to the point we have 4 guys with 50+ catches and a couple with 1,000+ yard guys can Clinton Portis blow up and gain 2,000 yards in a season? With teams not stacking the box because of the Redskins airing it out he could probably approach those #'s, in my mind...

What are y'all honest thoughts?

Yes....

Also, i see you are new, welcome....just a heads up, there is a thread on this same page asking how many yards everyone thinks portis will put up. You might want to put something like this into a thread like that. use the search button, you will be a lot better off with the Mods. :)

2000 is a whole lot of yards. when jamal lewis did it a few years ago, they had no passing game and so he got a whole lot of touches.

i dont think it is out of the question, but he will not have as many carries as he did the past 2 years so i would have to say no

No.

I think not b/c Portis and the O-line can't do it, but b/c Gibbs won't allow them to do it.

BEFORE YOU FREAK AT THE ABOVE STATEMENT READ THE WHOLE POST!!!!!!!

Look at 2004 and how many times CP carried the ball and the pounding he took.

CP also got dinged up a bit towards the end of 2005 when he started carring the ball much more also LB was banged up and missed time.

What coach has come to realize is that CP/LB and Rock provide a good mix in the run/pass schemes, plus CP needs a breather now and then. Thus, coach Gibbs will make the right moves and rest CP now and again to prevent injury and to mix styles with Betts/Rock.

Therefore less touches (which isn't a bad thing) to keep CP at 100%.

Also with the increased emphasis in the passing game, we'll also be able to have a good balance of run/pass and therefore slightly less emphasis on the run.

I still think 1,600-1,800 is a solid target and very doable for years to come for CP.

No.

I think not b/c Portis and the O-line can't do it, but b/c Gibbs won't allow them to do it.

CP also got dinged up a bit towards the end of 2005 when he started carring the ball much more also LB was banged up and missed time.

What coach has come to realize is that CP/LB and Rock provide a good mix in the run/pass schemes, plus CP needs a breather now and then. Thus, coach Gibbs will make the right moves and rest CP now and again to prevent injury and to mix styles with Betts/Rock.

Also with the increased emphasis in the passing game, we'll also be able to have a good balance of run/pass and therefore slightly less emphasis on the run.

I still think 1,600-1,800 is a solid target and very doable for years to come for CP.

Can his yards per carry get back up to around 5.5? Because if they do in a wide open offense he can do it, I believe...

Oh yeah...

Section 452!!!!

No.

:applause: great thought

His yards by carry average should increase dramatically but he will get less carries because this year he won't have to carry this team on the offensive side.

The real question is, are we going to run until teams put 8 in the box then start passing... Or are we going to pass to get them out of the box then run...

Wait this is Al Saunders, he's known to be unexpected. Portis will get a high amount of yardage, less touches.

Can his yards per carry get back up to around 5.5? Because if they do in a wide open offense he can do it, I believe...

Oh yeah...

Section 452!!!!

:applause: see you at the game JM&JG :point2sky Hail!!!

I'm still not sure if we see 5.5 with CP, being that Denver's styles and Redskins run styles are different (we pound the ball much more thus lowering the avg.). Plus, the NFCE (especially the Eagles) does a good job overall keeping RBs at 100yds/game or less.

But you never know.....if teams game plan for the NEW POSSE and forget about Portis, he will eat them alive. Same goes for our WR's, or Cooley or even Big Play Mike (Sellers).

This is a duplicate thread. But I'll answer.

Take a look at the amount of yardage Larry Johson racked up in 2005.

Then look at how many games he actually started.

I think that answers your question. :)

1,500+ yards in 9 starts......LJ was sick last year. He would have crushed the all time record if given the chance.

Archived