Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Portis Rush For 2,000 Yards In This Offense?

:applause: see you at the game JM&JG :point2sky Hail!!!

I'm still not sure if we see 5.5 with CP, being that Denver's styles and Redskins run styles are different (we pound the ball much more thus lowering the avg.). Plus, the NFCE (especially the Eagles) does a good job overall keeping RBs at 100yds/game or less.

But you never know.....if teams game plan for the NEW POSSE and forget about Portis, he will eat them alive. Same goes for our WR's, or Cooley or even Big Play Mike (Sellers).

i dont want cp getting 2,000 yards,b/c he may become a jamal lewis,who went downhill and into prison afterwards.

2,000 yards is a big number, but Portis is a good back. I'm not going to make a bold statement and say that I think he will break 2,000. I will however say, that I honestly believe that Portis will break the record he set last year.

My prediction is 1,700+ yards next year.

No.

I think not b/c Portis and the O-line can't do it, but b/c Gibbs won't allow them to do it.

BEFORE YOU FREAK AT THE ABOVE STATEMENT READ THE WHOLE POST!!!!!!!

Look at 2004 and how many times CP carried the ball and the pounding he took.

CP also got dinged up a bit towards the end of 2005 when he started carring the ball much more also LB was banged up and missed time.

What coach has come to realize is that CP/LB and Rock provide a good mix in the run/pass schemes, plus CP needs a breather now and then. Thus, coach Gibbs will make the right moves and rest CP now and again to prevent injury and to mix styles with Betts/Rock.

Therefore less touches (which isn't a bad thing) to keep CP at 100%.

Also with the increased emphasis in the passing game, we'll also be able to have a good balance of run/pass and therefore slightly less emphasis on the run.

I still think 1,600-1,800 is a solid target and very doable for years to come for CP.

With all do respect, I think your reasons for him not making it to 2000 yards are garbage. I agree that Gibbs likes to spread the ball around but with all the threats at wideout I think you'll see Portis break more big runs that ever before in his career. I can see him being the league leader in rushing in '06 easily. My man racked up over 1500 yards when the opposing defenses knew the ball was going to either him or Moss. 1500 yards when they were stacking the line. Another 400+ yards is easily within his reach with the recieving threats we'll have in '06. Quote me on that!

It's a good point though (I wouldn't call it garbage whether you agreed with it or not), CP racked up a lot of yards early in games and was pulled. Kinda wanted them to let CP rack up some of those big games but eh, I understand it.

Thought since the day we traded for him CP would make a run for the season rushing record. Don't know if he will do it this year but I think he will eventually make a serious run for it. I also thought that was part of the reason why we were willing to trade for him. It would be quite a cue for the Redskins if they were able to take that record.

I think yes. Al Sauders knows what he's doing when it comes to speedy running backs. I thinkClinton Portis is a more talented runner then Priest Holmes, and the jurries out on Larry Johnson. Al Sauders never had the weapons at receiver in KC that he'll have in washington next year. I'm gonna go bold, and say Clinton Portis will run for 2200+. I'm poor, so I can't put my money where my mouth is, but feel free to make fun of me if I'm wrong.

....Possible.....yes.....likely.....no

2000 yrds in one season is:

444 carries @ 4.5 yr/carry

400 carries @ 5 yd/carry

363 carries @ 5.5 yd/carry

so any way you cut it your going to take a serious toll on your back. I'd rather see CP have about 300 carry's next year and get a little more life out of him in the long run....

Yes, I think its very possible. Hes obviously got the talent (Rookie of the Year) and now that our passing game is improved with the new additions, we wont have to rely on him so much, which means that he wont be as tired every game and can keep his stamina up and stay in the game.

I think yes. Al Sauders knows what he's doing when it comes to speedy running backs. I thinkClinton Portis is a more talented runner then Priest Holmes, and the jurries out on Larry Johnson. Al Sauders never had the weapons at receiver in KC that he'll have in washington next year. I'm gonna go bold, and say Clinton Portis will run for 2200+. I'm poor, so I can't put my money where my mouth is, but feel free to make fun of me if I'm wrong.

True, true.

This is a duplicate thread. But I'll answer.

Take a look at the amount of yardage Larry Johson racked up in 2005.

Then look at how many games he actually started.

I think that answers your question. :)

poor comparison.

portis is nowhere near LJ's stature. LJ got his yards because he was big AND fast. nobody could touch him much less tackle.

portis is only fast.

He can but if he does something is wrong. If he does it will mean that 1) he's been overused. With our backups we shouldn't lean that heavily on a 210-215 lb RB during the regular season. We're going to need him in the playoffs. 2) our passing game isn't doing well. Balance is the thing that both Gibbs and Saunders strive for (despite the perception of being run heavy) because the more balanced you are, the less likely it is the opposing D knows what to expect.

There's no doubt he has the talent, but with our new O-coordinator and WRs I don't want us to look like the 04 Ravens. If he gets that many yards I believe that we will have leaned too heavily on the run and aren't balanced enough to go all the way. :2cents:

WOW, 2200 huh? That would be lovely. Im not saying he will or will not make it to 2000, I just think that its certainly within his reach with our new arrivals and the fact that JG loves, loves, loves the run. Im hoping he does so he can eventually crush Emmitt Smiths record that, IMO, Barry Sanders should own. Emmitt, you were good, but you arent even close to the best ever!

Why do you think the passing game was such a big concern this off season? The answer is no. Do you want to end his career early? Burn him out? Come on people. We need for a few years. Let's get 1200-1400 yards a year, and keep him around a decade.

Portis will be in a wheelchair at the end of the season if that is the case....that's too much abuse for CP (Who is a really good back).

Archived