Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tom Tupa

Mattskins83

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know whats going to happen with this guy? I know he was a complete beast in '04, and shouldve been in the Pro Bowl. His average was extremely high for a punter who had to punt 38 times a game(small joke there), not to mention his accuracy to pin teams inside the 20 was exceptional. Just because I dont feel like looking it up, I was wondering if hes still under contract or last year was it for him? And yes, I know hes old, but hes a punter for godsakes! I havent seen anything on this...thanks for the help!:logo:

The problem with Tupa at this point is that once you start having injuries like he had, then if he makes the team and gets hurt again - then the team is really scr*wed. The same with John Hall. Uninjured he's great. At this point though he's had two years in a row of repeated leg injuries, leaving the position in limbo and the team having to pick up a journeyman in the middle of the year. The team is probably better off having a solid if somewhat unspectacular set of kickers who will be reliable through the season.

This would be my first signing since it was nearby in Baltimore. If I were Gibbs and Snyder on my way to Carolina to sign Witherspoon, I'd send Cerrato out to Baltimore to sign Dave Zastudil

Profile:

He is a big left-footed punter. He is a solid athlete for the position. He has solid hands - holds for one of the best kickers in the National Football League in Matt Stover. He has solid leg strength. Can drive the ball. He shows the ability to make the ball turn over. He shows solid technique. Good drop - not a lot of margin for error. Gets solid hang time. Needs to improve his directional punting - especially to his right as he is a left-footed punter. Needs to do a better job of stopping the ball - high number of touchbacks on pooch attempts. Has a chance to be very good - just lacks consistency right now.

Archived