WT: No 'hard feelings'

bubba9497

http://www.washtimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20060307-122837-3591r

click link for full article

No 'hard feelings'

By David Elfin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published March 7, 2006

The marriage between the Washington Redskins and their most popular player of the 21st century ended with a brief press release sent out Sunday night just before midnight.

The first day of the divorce was amicable, as if the fact that three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington is really an ex-Redskin hadn't been truly absorbed despite a split more than a year in the making.

"I hate that things ended this way, but some things don't always go the way you want them to," Arrington said in a telephone interview. "I really enjoyed the opportunity to be in Washington. I'm still so much a part of the community even though I'm not going to be a Redskin. That will not change in my heart.

"I don't have any hard feelings towards the Redskins. I hope they feel the same way about me."

Coach Joe Gibbs was equally conciliatory after two tumultuous seasons in which Arrington, largely because of injuries, started just 12 of 34 games. The low point came in October, when Arrington was not even placed on the active roster for the Redskins' loss to the Denver Broncos. Throughout the last two seasons, Arrington feuded with the defensive staff, particularly linebackers coach Dale Lindsey.

"I certainly wish that the last two years had been smoother," Gibbs said. "When I came here, LaVar had been a big part of the Redskin program, and there had been a huge commitment to him. [but then] it seemed like nothing went right. ... We wish there had been no injuries and he could've played more and played back to the standard where I know he wanted to be. I know he was totally frustrated.

"I'm hoping that [his departure is] best for the Redskins. I hope it will be best for LaVar. We wish him the absolute best."

Gibbs went to Arrington's house outside of Annapolis in late February to tell him in person about the Redskins' salary cap difficulties.

Let's hope bygons are bygons, as long as LA doesn't later have an interview in which he blasts the skins, then I have no problem with what he said.

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment Bird-man. Time will tell.

Archived