Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Arrington pays 'Skins to become free agent

Jofizz

Click Link For Full Article

ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355921

Arrington pays 'Skins to become free agent

LaVar Arrington will become a free agent after agreeing Sunday night to pay the Washington Redskins over $4 million in cash to get out of his contract with the team. As part of the deal, the Redskins have placed Arrington on waivers.

A team source said that the move would have been made irrespective of any delay in the waiver deadline Sunday evening.

Over the last few days, the Redskins have asked several veterans to restructure their contracts so that the team could get under the salary cap. Arrington was the only Redskins player who refused to rework his deal, The Associated Press reported.

Turns out Lavar wanted out of D.C. and refused to re-structure his contract. He then paid the team $4 mil to buy the whole thing out just so he can become a free-agent. I can't believe he would do something like this after saying he would retire if he was released by the team. I felt bad for him until i read that.

Turns out Lavar wanted out of D.C. and refused to re-structure his contract. I can't believe he would do something like this after saying he would retire if he was released by the team. I felt bad for him until i read that.

Uh yeah, shocking, Lavar doing a 180 on an issue (sarcasm meter at full).

I hardly EVER, EVER, EVER post but do any of you ever look before posting? Or is it that you dont care?:rolleyes:

I didn't see any topics on Lavar paying the skins to get out of his deal. All i saw were people crying over it and saying lavar was chased out of D.C. when that wasn't the case.

This is great, All that cap space he saved us. Since his "injury" he never played as good as he used to. He runs half as fast as he used to, and is nowhere near as athletic as he was. Plus, him and the coaches have never got along, we dont want people like that on ou team.

Go ahead start the bashing.

This is great, All that cap space he saved us. Since his "injury" he never played as good as he used to. He runs half as fast as he used to, and is nowhere near as athletic as he was. Plus, him and the coaches have never got along, we dont want people like that on ou team.

Go ahead start the bashing.

No bashing the guy stepped up and bought his way out to save the team $$$$. He could have held out and been cut and cost the team $$$. just my :2cents:

No bashing the guy stepped up and bought his way out to save the team $$$$. He could have held out and been cut and cost the team $$$. just my :2cents:

Agreed. They were going to cut him anyway and he knew that getting out of the contract now would make it much easier for him to land a new deal that is halfway decent. This worked out for both sides.

I accept a late pass but why does the guy pay his way to free agency when he was going to get cut?

Because the team would have kept him otherwise and he wouldn't have had a shot to play. My bet is that LA expects he'll more than make up the $4MM with a signing bonus from his new team. I doubt he will with all of the questions marks coming off of the last two seasons but who knows?

True - but now all of the "I love the Washington Redskins and want to be here or retire" comments seem hollow. Also looks like his interview right before the Philly game with the Washington Times wasn't taken out of context as he had stated.

I accept a late pass but why does the guy pay his way to free agency when he was going to get cut?

The team wasn't going to cut him, although they did say they had a plan in place to deal with him, which meant this had probably been in the works for a few weeks now. If they did cut him, he would have wound up costing more than if we had kept him. He offerred the team $4m to be let go. If the team traded him, same thing. Either way, we wouldn't have to deal with his roster bonus, but the remainder of his signing bonus would have beem accellerated.

The team wasn't going to cut him, although they did say they had a plan in place to deal with him, which meant this had probably been in the works for a few weeks now. If they did cut him, he would have wound up costing more than if we had kept him. He offerred the team $4m to be let go. If the team traded him, same thing. Either way, we wouldn't have to deal with his roster bonus, but the remainder of his signing bonus would have beem accellerated.

O.K... interesting.

Archived