Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wonderlic test. Score results

cactitle

But is the test any type of indicator of how well a person on the field plays. I say no. Some of the players on that list who have had low scores turned out great. So for me I dont put alot of credibility in it when I evaluate draft choices if I were a scout. Sure you take everything into consideration but I think the recent Vince Young media blitz concerning his scores was way to much saturation.

But is the test any type of indicator of how well a person on the field plays. I say no. Some of the players on that list who have had low scores turned out great. So for me I dont put alot of credibility in it when I evaluate draft choices if I were a scout. Sure you take everything into consideration but I think the recent Vince Young media blitz concerning his scores was way to much saturation.

two key words I've picked out from your post ANY & SOME......

While I don't know you personally I can say with 95% confidence that you have not ever coached football team outside of PW if any.......

That test is a general guideline for a players intelligence......While Gardners theory of multiple intelligences says a player can be a bad musician, artist, mathmatition, or speller (in my case ) and be a great athlete this is a better evaluation of a players ABILITY to apply themselves to learning thier position.....

Did you know the Offensive Left Tackle scores the highest on average on these tests.....

Around the same range is the other lineman and the QB........these linemen have to be able to understand the most complex part of the game ( blocking scheme & blitz pick up)

the last thing I need a great physical player who won't / can't learn how to get better.......

Of course, the difference is that you are not sitting in a room taking this test under time pressure knowing that there are millions of dollars at stake depending on your performance. Many people do not do so well under real test pressure like that, even without the financial stuff piled on.

I remember when I was in high school and I watched the local Washington DC TV quiz bowl show: "It's Academic". Damn, it was so easy - those people were morons who didn't know that. Pi r squared, you fools! Jakarta! St. Thomas Aquinas! Sodium freaking chloride!

Then I was actually on the show myself, and it was suddenly a lot, lot harder. We got smoked in the second round. And I was a nerd who was good at that stuff, and I wanted to be there being asked those questions, and nothing was at stake but my reputation. I can't imagine the pressure felt by a football player, who is not good at multiple choice tests, whos career is on the line, maybe the livelihood of his entire extended family, based on how he does in the next ten minutes. Blah.

While I don't know you personally I can say with 95% confidence that you have not ever coached football team outside of PW if any.......

That test is a general guideline for a players intelligence......While Gardners theory of multiple intelligences says a player can be a bad musician, artist, mathmatition, or speller (in my case ) and be a great athlete this is a better evaluation of a players ABILITY to apply themselves to learning thier position.....

Did you know the Offensive Left Tackle scores the highest on average on these tests.....

Around the same range is the other lineman and the QB........these linemen have to be able to understand the most complex part of the game ( blocking scheme & blitz pick up)

the last thing I need a great physical player who won't / can't learn how to get better.......

The way I understand the Wonderlick and tests like it is not as a general measure of intelligence, but how is your intelligence applied under pressure. What I mean is, most people when given an hour to do the test would do very well. But limit the time to answer and you are estimating ability to apply your intelligence with stress involved, like how to avoid one of those smart lineman who's about to sack your ***.

The way I understand the Wonderlick and tests like it is not as a general measure of intelligence, but how is your intelligence applied under pressure. What I mean is, most people when given an hour to do the test would do very well. But limit the time to answer and you are estimating ability to apply your intelligence with stress involved, like how to avoid one of those smart lineman who's about to sack your ***.

Miller.....good call.....:laugh:....

Combine that with what I said and it looks like a college thesis...... :silly:

Of course, the difference is that you are not sitting in a room taking this test under time pressure knowing that there are millions of dollars at stake depending on your performance. Many people do not do so well under real test pressure like that, even without the financial stuff piled on.

I remember when I was in high school and I watched the local Washington DC TV quiz bowl show: "It's Academic". Damn, it was so easy - those people were morons who didn't know that. Pi r squared, you fools! Jakarta! St. Thomas Aquinas! Sodium freaking chloride!

Then I was actually on the show myself, and it was suddenly a lot, lot harder. We got smoked in the second round. And I was a nerd who was good at that stuff, and I wanted to be there being asked those questions, and nothing was at stake but my reputation. I can't imagine the pressure felt by a football player, who is not good at multiple choice tests, whos career is on the line, maybe the livelihood of his entire extended family, based on how he does in the next ten minutes. Blah.

Football players aren't the only people that take tests to determine the path of their careers... (I seem to remember my bar exam being timed...)

My point is that I think with the way the media has made Vince Youngs score such a big issue it creates the perception that because of that score it is somehow going to impact his playing career. Noone knows what his future is yet but I think when you have the media reporting that teams are concerned it gives the perception that this test is a reflection of ones future abilities. Granted you should take into consideration all aspects of the combine but the media has made this issue bigger then it should be.

No I have never coached Football but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time.

Football players aren't the only people that take tests to determine the path of their careers... (I seem to remember my bar exam being timed...)

As was mine, councilor. Your bar exam tested your knowledge of the law and its application to various facts. Kind of like what a lawyer actually does in his or her career.

Football players mostly play football to determine the paths of their careers. Giving them a timed multiple choice generalized knowledge test like this is like putting an algebra section into the bar exam. It will differentiate people, but to what purpose?

Archived