Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Survey - Best/worst helmets/colors.

SkinFan63

Saw the thread on someone elses survey of helmet design.

Thought maybe we should have our own ES survey on best/worst helmets, colors etc.

I'll start:

Best helmets:

1. Redskins. Burgandy is one of my favorite colors. Also, no other NFL team has a burgandy helmet. The Redskin emblem is TOPS!

2. Colts. Don't have a real good reason for this, but I have for some strange reason always liked their helmets.(maybe it's the beer)

3. Texans. Nothing special about the black helmet, but the emblem is top notch, in my opinion anywayz.

4. Raiders. Nothing like representing raping and piliging on your helmet.

5. Bucs. Yeah, I hate liking anything about the Bucs, but their helmets are awesome. And the Sword/flag/skull is a vast improvement from the old gay mousekateer they had in the past. (Maybe that's why they sucked so bad)

Worst Helmets:

1. Packers. My God, it is by far the ugliest helmet Riddell has ever produced.

If the yellow isn't bad enough, the "G" emblem took all of 10 seconds to come up with.

2. Bears. Colors are ok, but that emblem......come on, bring into the current century. As bad as the Packers.

3. Browns. What is a "brown?" (UPS?) Are "browns" invisible? Maybe that would explain the lack of an emblem at all.

4. Dolphins. A fish in a hoop. WOW! Nuff said.

5. Cowboys. The only thing that could make this helmet uglier, would be an emblem of the gay cowpukes from "Broke Back Mountain" doing it. No wait, that might be an improvement.

Best colors:

1. Redskins. Burgandy and gold/white. No other color combo like it.

2. Bengals. Black and orange are two of my favorite colors. (Halloween)

3. Vikings. Purple and gold..not bad, and no other team uses purple.

4. Raiders. Black and silver are nice and sinister.

5. Bucs. Pewter and red/orange. Again, I HATE liking anything about Tampon bay,...oh well.

Worst Colors:

1. Packers. Yellow and green. Baby poop come to mind?

2. Dolphins. Aqua and orange/white. Yuck!

3. Cowboys/Lions Silver and blue. I don't know why, but I don't like it. oh yeah, I hate ANYTING about the cowpies.

4. Panthers. Baby blue? Who on earth would use baby blue as a color for an NFL team? No thanks!

5. Browns. Orange and brown and white. Pumpkin pie with whipped topping?

That's mine.

Blast away!

Browns......clearly the worst.

Never understood why the Steelers emblem is only on ONE side of the helmet.

Hate the Broncos current helmet (yep, I'm an Orange Crush uni fan).

Think I like the classic Seahawks helmet better as well.

Like:

All the NFCE helmets are pretty decent and individualized from each other (obviously I'm biased, but the current helmet (The Chief) is the best)

I actually like the Bucs current helmet.

I like the Cincy and St. Louis helmets because they don't have a silly logo or mascot but they still get the point across. I guess I'd like the Redskins's logo no matter what, but I prefer the old arrow design, although I am not a big fan of the mustard colored background. Overall, my favorite skin's uniforms were the 1940 retro ones from back in '94 or '95 (not being around for the originals, of course). The colors were sharp.

Saw the thread on someone elses survey of helmet design.

Thought maybe we should have our own ES survey on best/worst helmets, colors etc.

I'll start:

Worst Helmets:

1. Packers. My God, it is by far the ugliest helmet Riddell has ever produced.

If the yellow isn't bad enough, the "G" emblem took all of 10 seconds to come up with.

2. Bears. Colors are ok, but that emblem......come on, bring into the current century. As bad as the Packers.

3. Browns. What is a "brown?" (UPS?) Are "browns" invisible? Maybe that would explain the lack of an emblem at all.

4. Dolphins. A fish in a hoop. WOW! Nuff said.

5. Cowboys. The only thing that could make this helmet uglier, would be an emblem of the gay cowpukes from "Broke Back Mountain" doing it. No wait, that might be an improvement.

I would put the Browns helmet as being the worse, it's plain....and also for colors....at least Green Bay has other teams with the same colors (in the NBA), the Browns uniform is just horrible, who would ever think to put brown with orange? ewwww

Never understood why the Steelers emblem is only on ONE side of the helmet.

Since you asked...

History & Origin of the Pittsburgh Steelers Logo

In 1962, Republic Steel of Cleveland approached the Steelers and suggested that they consider the Steelmark, the insignia used by the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), as a helmet logo to honor Pittsburgh's steel heritage. The Steelmark logo, a circle enclosing three hypocycloids (diamonds with inward-curving edges) and the word STEEL, was created by U.S. Steel Corp. (now known as USX Corp.) to educate consumers about the importance of steel in their daily lives. [blockquote]The colors were chosen to promote the attributes for steel: yellow lightens your work; orange brightens your leisure; and blue widens your world. The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steel scrap.[/blockquote]

The Steelers liked the idea presented by Republic Steel, despite the fact that the company was located in the city of their bitterest rival, the Cleveland Browns, and proudly sported the new logo on their helmets for the 1962 season. After qualifying that year for their first-ever postseason game, they changed the color of their helmets from gold to solid black, which also served to highlight the new logo they felt had brought them good luck.

The new Steelmark logo was originally only applied to one side of the helmet (the right side) by equipment manager Jack Hart because the Steelers were uncertain how it would look on their solid gold helmets. Even when they later switched their helmet color to solid black, they decided to permanently retain the logo on just the one side due to the team's new success and the interest generated by the logo's uniqueness. The Steelers are now the only team in the NFL to sport its logo on only one side of the helmet.

One last change occurred to the logo in 1963 when the Steelers petitioned the AISI to allow them to change the word 'Steel' inside the Steelmark to 'Steelers.' The Steelers later added the gold stripe and player numbers and changed the face masks from grey to black, but otherwise the helmet has remained virtually unchanged since 1963.

The interest generated by having the logo on only one side of their helmets along with the team’s new success (they were 9-5 after many years of losing seasons), the Steelers decided to leave the helmet that way permanently. The Steelers logo hasn't changed since, fitting for a football team that values consistency and tradition.

When I was watching a bit of the pro-bowl I thought the Skins helmets really stood out, therefore makeing them the coolest (IMO) but I am biased and maybe cause I was looking for them.

I thought the overall past ugliest were the Broncos cartoon drunken horse on a field of putrid orange. Then they went to baby blue and a big D (for duh).

I like the Steelers being on one side. It's unique and kinda cool because of that. I also like the Browns not having one, (ala Penn State) but I still can;t figgure out what a Brown is. Unless it's a representation of how they play year after year.

I also thought the early Bills helmets were pretty bad and that Wyoming should've sued for copyrite violations (see Wyo flag) And they haven't gotten much better with the red stripe.

Best Helmets

1. Redskins Modern day helmet

2. Steelers

3. Old Patriots helmet

4. Raiders

5. Rams

Worst Helmets

1. Broncos (abandoned their colors and have a half stripe, stupid.)

2. Eagles (added black to their colors and lost almost all the silver.)

3. 49ers (added black to their symbol.)

4. Jaguars (straight up ugly.)

5. Bucs (good color, but the old logo was much color, use that logo with the puter helmets.)

Team Colors

Best

1. Redskins whether it is the old or the new.

2. Steelers

3. Raiders (keepin it simple.)

4. Titans (kept the old Oilers colors with the navy.)

5. Bears

6. Patriots

7. Pathers (carolina blue, nice regionally)

8. Green Bay (old school.)

Worst Colors

1. Dolphins

2. Jaguars

3. Eagles ( your colors were kelly green and silver, now it's hunter green and black, when you add black you suck.)

4. 49ers (black outlines don't belong on your uniforms. stupid.)

5. Bills ( how many shades of blue do you have?)

6. Rams ( I miss the yellow horns.)

7. Broncos ( where are your real colors?)

Thanks everybody for the Steelers helmet history lesson.

Again another reason why I don't like the Browns' helmet......IT'S BLOODY ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This a team that is named after the original owner (Paul Brown-- who later owned the Bengals), but everybody assumes when you call a team "Browns", shouldn't the helmet be BROWN and not hunter's orange?????

I mean it would be ok if you're out there hunting deer, but in a football game......Blech :puke:

The Browns are named after coaching legend Paul Brown, who is considered the father of modern day football. A lot of the little things tied to football (play books, 40 times, etc) started with him.

I for one like the traditional uniforms like the Browns, Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, Skins, Chiefs, Giants, Raiders, Bears, Colts and so on.

It's the one's like the Ravens, Texans, Bengals, Broncos, Bucs and Seahwaks that look ugly.

I've noticed teams are starting to retro now. The Giants and Jets did it. The Colts went back to grey facemasks and numbers on the sleeves. I read the Browns will do the same (grey facemasks and numbered sleeves).

Best helmet: Redskins indian head logo (Theismann, Monk, Green, Riggins, Williams, Rypien, Clark, Grimm, Jacoby, Mann, etc).

Second best helmet: Clevland Browns (My secret is out: I am a closet Browns fan. How could you not like the team that gave us Bobby Mitchell and Otto Graham?).

Worst helmet: Dallas Cowboys (for obvious reasons).

Second Worst helmet: Dolphins (I mean, come on, that aqua dolphin looks like a Lisa Frank painting).

The Redskins uniforms are cool but they could be way cooler. I don't really like the ketchup and mustard colors for "Burgundy and gold". I also don't like the stripes on the Redskins helmet and uniforms (very 70'sish). The color scheme should be more like the 94 retro uniforms which were the best by far. There is no arguing that the Redskins emblem is the best in football.

At least this isn't biased or anything :rotflmao: . Seriously the Redskins helmets and uniforms are among the ugliest in the NFL, particularly for the colors. Obviously the conversation for the worst helmets and colors begins and ends with the Browns. I mean does it get any more bland than that? Those uniforms are a joke, but to say that the Redskins have the nicest uniforms and helmets in football is almost as funny.

At least this isn't biased or anything :rotflmao: . Seriously the Redskins helmets and uniforms are among the ugliest in the NFL, particularly for the colors. Obviously the conversation for the worst helmets and colors begins and ends with the Browns. I mean does it get any more bland than that? Those uniforms are a joke, but to say that the Redskins have the nicest uniforms and helmets in football is almost as funny.
Your not still mad about your dismantling before the eyes of the Burgundy and Gold swarm on Christmas Eve. Are you?

The Giants home burple uni's are just horrendous. If they could just choose blue or purple I would be a lot more satisfied. Their old uni's from earlier in Strahan's career were a lot cooler. Also, their away red & white uni's don't even make sense. Since when is red one of the Giant's main colors??

And then Seattle's blue on blue are awful uniforms. If they had white pants they would be a lot better, and the neon green stripes are a little creepy too.

As for the best, I loved the Rams uniforms when they won the Superbowl. The blue and yellow was dank. The blue and golds they have now aren't bad, but at least they still have the cool helmets. I always have thought they had one of the better helmets in the NFL.

I really do like the current Redskins helmets. Traditional style with just a little nod to medernity in the metalic flake bugandy paint. The combination of the three stripes and the logo with the trailing feather looks really nice in my opinion. The uni's on the other hand could use and update. Nothing major, just a bit of a tweaking. They look a bit dated.

Archived