Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Boxing's problems?

TLusby

If you're a fan of Boxing, I don't see what would be the problem other than the fights that probably shouldn't be on PPV.

Some people say Boxing should just go away because it's not popular anymore, but if that was true I really don't understand how some fighters make a few million on one fight.

Mainstream fans have a problem with Boxing, because what draws them in the first place is stuff like Mike Tyson... The true fans love the "Sweet Science" of Boxing and the actual fight inside the ring, instead of just wanted to see someone get KTFO.

It's a GREAT sport.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. The amount of PPV fights that should be on free TV is one of the problems plaguing the sport, but it's not so bad if you split the fight with some friends. There are a lot of quality fights set up for HBO and Showtime this year.....more than I've seen in a while. We get Calzaghe/Lacy for the super middleweight title live from England, James Toney vs. Rahman for a Heavyweight belt, Barrera vs. Jesus Chavez as Barrera seeks a title in his fourth weight class, Quartey/Forrest, Chris Byrd vs. Wladimir Klitschko for a Heavyweight Belt in Germany, Freitas/Raheem for a lightweight belt, Corrales/Castillo III and Winky Wright vs. Jermain Taylor for the Middleweight title. Those are all quality fights. Plus, Hatton vs. Baldomir for the Welterweight title will likely be on free HBO. Those are all quality fights that are worth viewing. Not bad for the first half of the year, and there will certainly be more quality fights added. ESPN's Friday Night Fights usually showcases a lot of bright prospects in the sport, and has a decent amount of quality fights.

The rhetoric that boxing should just shut down is nonsensical. There have been plenty of great fights in the recent past, and there are plenty of great fights that will be made in the future. Yes, it's frustrating that certain fights aren't made due to the business side of the sport, but that's just the way it is. I'll never fault a fighter for trying to cash out when they can so long as their demands aren't astronomical.

If the Heavyweight division ever comes around (the future is bleak) public interest will be spurred. Marketing is an issue as well. More needs to be done to get Floyd out there, but it's hard to rally behind him lately given his choice of opponents. Ideally, if Floyd beats Zab and Ricky Hatton wins his next bout those two would meet. The likelihood is slim though, as HBO is probably going to try to build a potential matchup by showcasing Hatton a few times before they let him and Floyd meet. I'd love to see the fight go down, and I'd probably try to attend if it were held in Vegas.

The best athletes were never boxers.Thats apples and oranges.

The sport media power broker (HBO) has the sport in a chokehold with its stable of fighters and who they decide to let fight.If the #2 contender is a SHOWTIME boxer, then you can hang it up.That monopy holds the sport more hostage then Don King or Bob Arum ever could.

Also the rise of the Latino market cannot be underestimated.The sport makes money, loads of it.But the fanbase the promoter go after is in Puerto Rico,LA and other areas who pay top $ to see Barrera Corrales,Morales,Pac Man and others.

Though I'm not a fan , the reality show "The Contender" has given the sport some fans that may not pay atention.

Oh, no doubt those dudes that roll around in their underwear, and don't even know how to throw a punch properly are in pretty good condition. But they're no where NEAR Boxers in terms of condition.
You really don't seem to like the other types of fighters :laugh: I hope you can at least realize they are superior fighters.

The best athletes were never boxers.Thats apples and oranges.

I'm trying to think of another sport that requires extremes in strength, endurance, power, and toughness.

I can think of sports that require a couple of those at a time, but not all 4.

You really don't seem to like the other types of fighters :laugh: I hope you can at least realize they are superior fighters.

Hells no... I saw a dude grab the other guys nuts in one of those fights, and I never watched one again.

I'm just not into almost naked guys wrestling around on the ground because they can't throw a punch, and because they're scared to be punched.

Would a MMA fighter beat a boxer in a MMA fight? Probably.

Would a MMA fighter beat a boxer in a Boxing match? F No.

Would a MMA fighter beat a boxer in a MMA fight? Probably.

I dunno. With all of that tae kwando crap and kickboxing, etc... it seems like there is no substitute for a solid punch.

I think boxers would surprise a lot of people. It is the American / Western martial art that nobody gives ANY credit for the West developing.

I would put up a skilled American boxer in a match against any martial artist... except some of the grapplers maybe. But even then I would put a skilled American wrestler against any of the graplers, too. All that karate high-kick stuff is great for movies, but is very, very over-rated. :2cents:

I agree with many of the posts. First one I agree with is there are too many belts and they need to be unified per weight class. The second is marketing. The main attractions to boxing are has-beens like Mike Tyson and Roy Jones, Jr.

Now the heavyweight division to me lacks any quality boxers. There are no dominant big men. The heavywieght champs we have now (whoever they are) would have been journeymen if they were boxing in the era of Frazier, Ali, Norton, and Foreman.

I dunno. With all of that tae kwando crap and kickboxing, etc... it seems like there is no substitute for a solid punch.

I think boxers would surprise a lot of people. It is the American / Western martial art that nobody gives ANY credit for the West developing.

I would put up a skilled American boxer in a match against any martial artist... except some of the grapplers maybe. But even then I would put a skilled American wrestler against any of the graplers, too. All that karate high-kick stuff is great for movies, but is very, very over-rated. :2cents:

I have no doubt boxers could land a good hit every know and then and score a surprise knock out. Other then that they'd be easy victories for the MMA fighters. They don't have any defensive skills to counter leg strikes and takedowns and no experience with fighting someone that is allowed to hold onto your limbs. Not to mention the fact that should he ever be taken down against a grappler he'd be basically helpless.

Don King is the main problem

I would rather watch wrestling, atleast they admit its fake

Ultimate fighting and Pride has taken over .

I hope boxing just goes away, its just a scam these days

If you watch MMA you will never go back to the bore which boxing has become IMO

Archived