Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Boxing's problems?

TLusby

I was a fan of boxing for years. The great heavyweight contests and certainly the middleweight battles of the 80's. What has happened to the sport?

I think there are two significant problems with the sport:

1.) There are two many belts that need to unify and have one belt; and

2.) It is the only sport that holds the score back until the end of the match. This is the worst method and leads to fans questioning the integrity of the judges and the promoters. Why wouldn't this sport require the judges to post their scores every round. This allows the fans to know how their fighter is doing, and whether he will need a KO in the last round as well as reduces the chance of foul play on the scoreboard.

Until the folks that run boxing make these changes; I do not think I'll be paying $59.99 to watch Joeblow fight Jose!

I think another problem is the way it is marketed...the main stream media only really cover boxing when Mike Tyson is fighting...but their are other boxers that are out there, they are just not promoted well enough...if their was a great American Heavyweight out there, then it would be a big deal.

There are a lot of problems with boxing.

- It's corrupt.

Who's the #1 contender? Well that depends on who promoters want it to be. There is no clear system to determine who ranks where.

Scoring is largely beased on opinions and this allows corruption.

- It's violent

When boxing chased away it's own fans they did so at a time when the US was becoming more aware of violence and it's effects. The face of boxing for much changed from Mohamed Ali proclaiming that he was in fact the greatest, to Mohamed Ali being unable to speak. People have been exposed to boxers after the glory and found slow clearly damaged people.

- The standards for sport have increased

If you look around the US you see some of the best run sports leagues in the world (ignore the NHL for now). Sure they have their problems but they are easy to understand and geared towards fan experience. Boxing on the other hand is hopelessly complicated with a billion weight classes and belts, different governing bodies, and too many differences from fight to fight. Different gloves, number of rounds, rules, etc etc etc.

As a boxing fan who has been to several big fights including Taylor /Hopkins, my take is this.

1. No fights on free-tv.That has almost removed the semi-casual fan from even caring .

2. Lack of American fighters of note in the heavyweight division.

3. PPV which is gearing more for the Hispnaic market and not the mainstream market soley.Soe of the clowns requesting PPV matches is beyond pathetic.

4. HBO

5. Few fighters with superstar appeal in on outside of the ring.

If you look at featherweight and welterweight they are doing much better than Heavyweight because there are no contenders that have any Charisma. That is something that Tyson, ali, Foreman, Fraiser, Liston, etc had and these bums don't.

I think that the nail was hit on the head that now it is not available to everyone and way too confusing, when every Heavyweight title fight is on PPV and there are 14 diffent heavywieght belts, no one will pay attention.

Somewhat antiquated system with "Promoters" who have stables of fighters and organize fights themselves. Obviously they control all aspects of each fight, so they have absolutely no incentive to keep integrity in the sport. Different boxing "associations, councils, whatever" get alot of the blame, but even they are at the mercy of the promoter.

1. Money/Greed

2. Not enough fights (top fighters fight 1-2 times a year)

3. 98% of pay per view fights are not worth it

4. Knockouts.....after stringing together some knockout victorys many boxers abandon their craft and seek the knockout blow instead of taking their time, jab, move, sting the body, put some combos together....real boxing should be like a slow cooker not a microwave.

5. Lack of Ring card holder exposure...just kidding here but it would be nice to see the ring card girls more that once a fight.

1. Money/Greed

2. Not enough fights (top fighters fight 1-2 times a year)

3. 98% of pay per view fights are not worth it

4. Knockouts.....after stringing together some knockout victorys many boxers abandon their craft and seek the knockout blow instead of taking their time, jab, move, sting the body, put some combos together....real boxing should be like a slow cooker not a microwave.

5. Lack of Ring card holder exposure...just kidding here but it would be nice to see the ring card girls more that once a fight.

Then go to a live fight.Trust me its a different experince.

I am a serious boxing enthusist and am saddened that it is not more of a marquee sport. There are several underlying problems that continue to stunt the growth of boxing. If the media and promoters were able to create more "storylines" similar to how the WWE crafts their stories then it would enable fans to feel more involved and get to know the fighters.

As mentioned previously the Heavyweight division is incredibly weak and doesnt look to be strengthened anytime soon. Since this is the case boxing needs to promote their younger talent and weave them into the limelight. There are some great fighters out there who could be very easily marketed...Floyd Mayweather, Zab Judah, Jeff Lacy, Rickey Hatton, Jermain Taylor, Arturo Gotti, Winky Wright, Cory Spinks, Calvin Brock, and Samuel Peter. These guys are all talented and could really improve boxing.

There are some really good fights this year already scheduled though.

1.) Zab Judah vs. Floyd Mayweather

2.) Winky Wright vs. Jermain Taylor

3.) Shane Mosley vs. Fernando Vargas.......

There are a lot of problems with boxing.

- It's corrupt.

- It's violent

- The standards for sport have increased

1. No fights on free-tv.That has almost removed the semi-casual fan from even caring .

2. Lack of American fighters of note in the heavyweight division.

3. PPV which is gearing more for the Hispnaic market and not the mainstream market soley.Soe of the clowns requesting PPV matches is beyond pathetic.

4. HBO

5. Few fighters with superstar appeal in on outside of the ring.

Pay per view ruined the sport. Casual fans won't ever watch it.

All 3 great posts and points, especially Destino's.

The problem with Boxing is ultimately one of marketing and promotion, not product. :2cents:

First off, let me say I love Boxing as a sport. I box to get exercise and I wish there was a club in southern Maryland I could go to. I have to settle for the haevy bag in the basement for now.

Anyway...the problem is greed, period. From the promoters who control the boxers to the PPV people, they have lost the fans.

When I was growing up Sugar Ray was the man. Lots of people wanted to be like him. That's one reason why I loved the show "The Contender." That's real boxing. Two guys just stepping up and the hungriest fighter wins. I love seeing a "puncher" take on a "technician." Those are the best.

First off, let me say I love Boxing as a sport. I box to get exercise and I wish there was a club in southern Maryland I could go to. I have to settle for the haevy bag in the basement for now.

Anyway...the problem is greed, period. From the promoters who control the boxers to the PPV people, they have lost the fans.

When I was growing up Sugar Ray was the man. Lots of people wanted to be like him. That's one reason why I loved the show "The Contender." That's real boxing. Two guys just stepping up and the hungriest fighter wins. I love seeing a "puncher" take on a "technician." Those are the best.

There is at least one club if not two in waldorf.....I used to go to Sport and Health before I moved and a guy was trying to tell me about it I believe its off of 925 north of 5. :2cents:

On the subject of boxing.Here are some local bouts that may be of interest.

Saturday, February 18 2006

George Mason University Patriot Center, Fairfax, Virginia

Jimmy Lange vs. Joey Gilbert (NABO Middleweight Championship)

Lamont Pearson vs. TBA (USBA Super Featherweights Championship)

Brent Cooper vs. TBA

The problem with Boxing is ultimately one of marketing and promotion, not product.
bingo.

Tennis and Hockey have the same problem. Golf used the have the same problem till Tiger Woods. No stars to market around.

There are no marketable fighters, let alone an American fighter. No Mike Tyson, no Roy Jones, no Ali, no Sugar Ray, etc.

bingo.

Tennis and Hockey have the same problem. Golf used the have the same problem till Tiger Woods. No stars to market around.

There are no marketable fighters, let alone an American fighter. No Mike Tyson, no Roy Jones, no Ali, no Sugar Ray, etc.

That bs.:mad:

De La Hoya,Mosley,Judah,Mayweather,Taylor and Winky Wright are all good fighters and most have gate appeal.

Also Ultimate Fighting took away from the image boxers had. I watch a boxing match and I see two guys that had to be within 4 pounds of eachother to make it fair.......that would have their arms and legs broken if put in the ring with cage fighters 20 pounds lighter.

I have found that UFC is easier to watch. The human body never evolved to be beaten with a padded hammer. in boxing guys punch eachother until one shakes the others brain so hard he falls out. That is basically a great way to make yourself stupid. UFC allows for shorter careers but with decidedly less brain damage, or so it would appear.

That bs.:mad:

De La Hoya,Mosley,Judah,Mayweather,Taylor and Winky Wright are all good fighters and most have gate appeal.

De la Hoya is old, Sugar Shayne is old, Winky Wright is not an exciting fighter.

Zab Judah is great, but it seems when he starts to get some hype he kinda blows it. He got knocked out by Tsyzu. Got his titles back then lost to Spinks. Beat Spinks to get his titles back, then lost to that Baldomir guy.

Taylor and Mayweather have great potential. I would love to see them get some press. Especially Mayweather Jr.

Also Ultimate Fighting took away from the image boxers had. I watch a boxing match and I see two guys that had to be within 4 pounds of eachother to make it fair.......that would have their arms and legs broken if put in the ring with cage fighters 20 pounds lighter.

I have found that UFC is easier to watch. The human body never evolved to be beaten with a padded hammer. in boxing guys punch eachother until one shakes the others brain so hard he falls out. That is basically a great way to make yourself stupid. UFC allows for shorter careers but with decidedly less brain damage, or so it would appear.

Don't even compare those guys who role around on the ground for a couple of rounds in their underwear to Boxing... Boxers are one the best conditioned atheletes in the world.

If you're a fan of Boxing, I don't see what would be the problem other than the fights that probably shouldn't be on PPV.

Some people say Boxing should just go away because it's not popular anymore, but if that was true I really don't understand how some fighters make a few million on one fight.

Mainstream fans have a problem with Boxing, because what draws them in the first place is stuff like Mike Tyson... The true fans love the "Sweet Science" of Boxing and the actual fight inside the ring, instead of just wanted to see someone get KTFO.

It's a GREAT sport.

It's a GREAT sport.

I don't think anyone is denying that (I'm definitely not)... but even the most die-hard boxing fan would have to admit that it is perhaps the most poorly marketed sport of all.

Don't even compare those guys who role around on the ground for a couple of rounds in their underwear to Boxing... Boxers are one the best conditioned atheletes in the world.

Agreed.

I don't know dude, grappling style fighting requires an insane amount of strength and energy. I'd say all pro fighters that find success are in pretty good condition.

I don't know dude, grappling style fighting requires an insane amount of strength and energy. I'd say all pro fighters that find success are in pretty good condition.

Oh, no doubt those dudes that roll around in their underwear, and don't even know how to throw a punch properly are in pretty good condition. But they're no where NEAR Boxers in terms of condition.

Archived