Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the stupidest or most confusing NFL rule?

roadkill

Lots of people have been mad at the officials during this last season, but it's not entirely their fault, it's the stupid wording of some of the rules. So what rule would you revise? I would revise the stupid ball possesion rule. What the **** is a "football move" anyway?

I agree with that. Also....

That rule that says a WR or TE cannot cover the Tackle or whatever....basically, you can't have too many (too few??) men on the line of scrimmage on offense.

The rule that says two guys can't be in motion unless they are set for one second (yeah, they really time that!).

Too many downfield on a punt - once the ball is snapped, everyone should be able to go downfield. I don't think punts have gotten that much more exciting since that rule was put in.

I would like to see the college rule on first downs be implemented in the NFL...clock stops to move the chains. Less mindless rushing around with stupid penalties.

That's just off the top of my head on a Saturday night....I'm sure there are more!

Hail,

H

Leading with the Helmet

I mean come on, its a contact sport. I was always taught to keep my head up and put my nose on the ball. This rule needs evaluated more closely. Most helmet to helmet contact is incidental. For real, unless a defender or any player for that matter blatently takes unnecessary ear hole shot at another player, it is a bum call.

Leading with the Helmet

I mean come on, its a contact sport. I was always taught to keep my head up and put my nose on the ball. This rule needs evaluated more closely. Most helmet to helmet contact is incidental. For real, unless a defender or any player for that matter blatently takes unnecessary ear hole shot at another player, it is a bum call.

helmet 2 helmet can paralyze or kill you,so why take that chance? they all got families to go home to you know.

Tuck Rule for me as well, just a horrible rule that really doesn't make any sense considering a QB can 'throw' the ball behind him which would be a lateral ie a fumble yet it's still ruled an incomplete pass.

As for helmet to helmet, it's also there to try to prevent concussions. I know from experience that if you try to lead on contact too often with the crown of the helmet you really run the risk of some form of head injury. I was a smaller guy and liked to go head-to-head with bigger guys to stand them up but man, it really takes it toll after a while. Nothing like getting sharp migraine headaches all week long.

Tuck rule is up there. I've seen that blocking below the waist call in the Super Bowl called a few times and that one is silly too. I would do away with it when called against the team trying to tackle the ballcarrier. It's ridiculous.

The fact that any play can't be challenged, and that the ref that made the call does the replay.

- Have 2 extra guys in the booth that are watching the game. - they see something that doesn't look right, buzz the ref and tell him to hold on a second and take a quick look and don't turn it into a 5 minute production or an excuse to show more commercials on TV.

Definently tuck rule. If they won't take it out completely, at least change the rule if no one touches the QB.

Cmon, if the QB isn't hit and loses it himself, its a damn fumble.

Or, as was pointed out, if the ball doesn't ACTUALLY travel forward, that it is a fumble. The same should be true if the QB gets hit as he throws and the ball doesn't go forward.

Archived