Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the stupidest or most confusing NFL rule?

roadkill

And to add something to that, have a "neutral" replay ref who's only job is to check out replays as they come up. That takes away the possibility of the ref who made the bad call in the first place being given the responsibility to then overturn "his" bad call.

I think they should move to a 3 man team on all challenged calls. All three (ref on the field - two upstairs) vote independently. Best 2 ot of 3 wins. Takes some of the pressure off the ref and would reduce the number of mistakes.

what about the fact that a RB can ground a pass. The only time I ever saw this happen was in a GB game last year (might have been a Sunday or Monday night game). Gado took a hand off got hit in his own endzone and he threw the ball forward as he was being tackled. The refs ruled that since he was behind the line of scrimmage, outside the tackles, and got the pass to the line of scrimmage it was an incomplete pass instead of a safety. Conversely, if this is allowed then I think more RBs should do this. If you take a toss or a reverse hand off and you see you are bottled up in the backfield, throw it away and save the yardage.

The tuck rule says that if the QB is in the act of throwing a pass but them changes his mind, wants to stop from throwing the ball, he is allowed the opportunity to put away the ball, to tuck the ball, as though the ball were actually in the air and thus the ball is not live if he drops it or it is knocked out in the process of tucking it IF it hits the ground.

Once he has tucked the ball and THEN makes another football move, runs, tries again to pass the ball, THEN the ball is live again if he were to fumble it.

IF a defender knocks the ball loose while he is tucking it AND gains possession of the ball before it hits the ground it is a turnover. I think it would be scored as an INT.

Now, there are two titanic flaws in this rule;

1. If he is tucking it and the ball is being considered as though it were in flight then he cannot complete a forward pass to himself.

2. QB's get mauled when the ball comes loose as the big guys scramble like mad to get to what is, to them, a fumble. This should be an unnecessary roughing call just like if a pass is incomplete down field and the defenders were to pummel the WR and treat the ball as still live.

The idea behind the rule is to save the refs from having to rule, if the ball were to come loose in the act of tucking or changing your mind about passing, on whether or not it was simply a forward pass and thus incomplete, or not.

The problem arises in when is he no longer in the act of throwing and therefore simply an incomplete pass if he were to lose it and when is he a live ball carrier again.

The two famous ones, Tom Brady v.s Raiders in the snow and us against Denver this year, well, to me, clearly, in both cases, the Qb had fully transitioned away from a forward movement of the arm and into a clear intention to tuck the ball and thus, to me, fumble!

Perfectly clear, huh?

oh that is such a good rule to have :rolleyes:, Thanks for the insight.

Most of the time players grab the jersey and it looks like a horsecollar, but isn't. In order to be a horsecollar, they have to grab the pads to bring the other player down. Roy Williams is REALLY good at grabbing the jersey, so he never gets called for a horsecollar. That's what hurt Portis the last game we played them. I was PISSED! But..I guess a rule is a rule. The pads I can understand, but it'd be hard to make a rule not to grab the jersey there.

Good one there to. Guys should be allowed to wear spikes inside their collar to discourage this. Just about EVERY time a guy gets dragged down by his collar from behind, he gets up hurt or injured.

Can't believe you guys missed the most important one of all!!

Can't date one of the hot cheerleaders if you're a player

That one really has to suck. Sure, the money is important. But dating one of the cheerleaders goes back to little league and why we all started playing Football to begin with. To get chicks ;p

Can't believe you guys missed the most important one of all!!

That one really has to suck. Sure, the money is important. But dating one of the cheerleaders goes back to little league and why we all started playing Football to begin with. To get chicks ;p

That's a team rule I'm pretty sure.

The problem isnt the officials, the problem is the Director of Officiating, Mike Piearearearasr or whatever hsi name is. The guy is a moron and ever since he became the director, a couple years ago the officiating went to crap. I noticed it 2 years ago and wondered for a long time why the officiating went downhill in ALL NFL games, which seemed odd. When I saw him and heard his excuses for certain bad calls I realized, hes the one at fault. He needs to go.

:applause: Wow. I'm impressed that a casual observer would recognize this.... First of all- I think the officials are getting a bad rap.... The fact is that they get most of these calls correct. The Super Bowl calls were all correct except for the call on Hasselbeck. The media just hammers home to everyone that the refs are wrong so that they have something to talk about....

That being said- Ever since Pereira came in he has redefined long-standing rules, muddled definitions, and come up with all of this "football-like move" crapola that we are constantly hearing about.... Long-time officials are now thinking about calls that they used to make instinctively. Pereira has made things entirely too difficult for the men on the field- redefining things as simple as "a catch" after all of these years has caused refs to stop and think about what they are "supposed to call" instead of what they see right in front of their faces. Heck- these guys are even over-thinking what they see on replays because of the way that Pereira has screwed with their heads....

It is always amusing to see him try to explain away blatant bad calls on the "Official Review" on NFL Total Access on the NFL Network. He makes up interpretations as he goes along and Rich Eisen just shakes his head at the absurdity of it all....

Oh-

By the way. The dumbest rule is the whole "Uniform Violation" thing. The fact that they have "uniform police" that walk around during warm-ups and assess fines is totally ridiculous. I was so glad when Portis and Taylor thumbed their noses at the whole ridiculous rule- even if it did cost them thousands of dollars....

College football is so much more colorful because the kids don't look like clones out there on the field. The NFL wants it's players to look "neat"- but come on- it's football. Is it really that important that players have their socks pulled up? I liked it so much better when there were no restrictions on towels and the like. Remember how cool Hanford Dixon and Frank Minniefield were with those long towels?

My two cents. I'm all for players having the same color shoes and stuff- but the league ahs taken this whole thing too far- just like they do with everything else.

No fun!

the micheal vick td -crossing the goal line (out of bounds) rule.

Ding, Ding !!

It's called a Touch Down...

like touch something down on the other side of the line.

I also agree these should be thrown out:

Tuck Rule

Illegal formation

and the infamous..."Football Move"

that's a little subjective, eh?

My personal least favorite call is holding, this TECHNICALLY could be called on every play. It is only used when it is obvious or as a drive stopper. I believe it should be only in isntance where the blocker tackles or almost tears the jersey off of someone. This has to be the MOST inconsistant call!

The "tuck" rule has got to be the most lame rule in the NFL. Why can't the "tuck" rule be enforced for a running back or receiver? If they were trying to switch hands with the ball and it comes "un-tucked" then it isn't a fumble....right? BULL SH_T!!!!!!! (fill in your own blank) A fumble is a fumble folks, pure and simple. If the QB is dropping back to pass and loses the ball (as long as his arm isn't moving forward) then he dropped the damn ball. FUMBLEROOSKI!!! FUMBLEAYA!!! Let's get this rule kicked out of the game. Time to let ol' TAGS know how much we dis this "TUCKING" rule!!!!

Too many downfield on a punt - once the ball is snapped, everyone should be able to go downfield. I don't think punts have gotten that much more exciting since that rule was put in.

>> Gotta disagree on this one. Before the rule was implemented there seemed to be a ton of fair catches. I think the WFL did not allow fair catches.

Archived