Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Same WR's as last year????????

HSW

We were 6th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion rate, and Brunell had a 65 percent completion rate in the red zone. We don't need a possession receiver.

Our problem is the same as it was in 2004. We still don't stretch the field and make teams pay for loading up to stop Portis. You don't do that with a super slow receiver like Joe Jurevicius.

We need a deep threat. Gibbs was looking for speed when he got Patten and Moss. Al Saunders had extremely fast guys as his top 3 receivers in KC.

This notion that we need a big guy or a possession guy for the #2 WR goes against everything we have been and will be trying to do here. Our #2 WR will be a speedster - not David Givens and especially not Joe Jurevicius.

David Givens and Joe Jurevicius put up roughly 700 yards in top offensive systems, and they are the perfect solution at #2 WR? Even if they do somehow match their production when they are put in a worse situation (which they probably won't), it still isn't even that great. We already have a guy like that. His name is David Patten. Signing a slower version of him won't help a thing.

It's hard to predict who they like out there to be the #2 WR. It might even be Patten (I doubt it, though). Whoever it is, he will be fast.

I was a proponent of the "needing a possession receiver at #2". You know what? Your argument convinced me. I think you are right on. A possession receiver isn't going to open things up for Portis that much. A speedster along with Patten in the slot and Cooley.....WOW! I think we would light it up. I also think that Jason Campbell would be able to thrive in that environment which would go along way towards building his confidence quickly in his NFL career.

Tell me this aint real!

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15306

"We'll take a long, hard look at everything," Gibbs said. "I'm excited about David being back and getting him healthy. We'll have a healthy James Thrash and we'll have Taylor [Jacobs]. Then we'll move forward and see what the best decision is that we can make in each one of those areas."

We need a solid #2....period. D.Patton can be our #3 guy, definitately

not #2, just do not want to risk our season on him hurting his knee again or not. James Trash can be #4 WR and Special Teams star. We need some

new blood in our WR corps.

Solid number #2 is right .The great thing about the Skins when there becomes an opening for a #2 they won't waste anytime, they will jump right on it. Im sure the have plan after plan. HAIL ! :dallasuck

Dear Coach Gibbs:

Thanks for a great season. If I may be so bold as to offer you some advice w/ how to move forward this upcoming season w/ our WR corps.

Move Tyler Jenkins from 3rd / 4th WR to special teams and see what happens. Case in point - Ade Jimoh couldn't cover Timmy from South Park....but he's been really good on Special Teams. Tyler Jenkins has to be good at something - we know it is not WR. If this does not pan out....might I suggest cutting him and stopping the torture that is #84 - Tyler Jenkins.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Love,

Grumpy Vet

jenkins.jpg

I was a proponent of the "needing a possession receiver at #2". You know what? Your argument convinced me. I think you are right on. A possession receiver isn't going to open things up for Portis that much. A speedster along with Patten in the slot and Cooley.....WOW! I think we would light it up. I also think that Jason Campbell would be able to thrive in that environment which would go along way towards building his confidence quickly in his NFL career.

Patten is a speedster. So you guys want three speedsters, to stretch the field instead of two and a guy who can go over the middle and keep defenses honest. I more inclined to agree with the guy who said we should draft a TE although I know we wont find an immediate impact player with our draft position. We need to upgrade at WR. Everybody knows this.

I honestly feel that Patten was given the short end of the stick last season. I get the feeling that he pulled a Brunell-04, and was hurt most of the season, but never said anything. I also believe that Jacobs will step it up this season, because most anyone can tell you that almost all good WR's have bad to semi-decent rookie years.

Give them a chance, I'd bet they suprise everyone(but me =P ) next season.

He did something to his knee in th epreseason and i gues sit kept bothering him but he still had some speed

With Saunders running the offense in KC he had serviceable wide outs but no one close to a Moss.

Now Saunders has a stud H-Back as well as a speed burner wideout. I think we may be ok with the wideouts we have. We don't know what Patten could've done because he got hurt in the middle of the season, so we'll see.

Besides a #2 receiver, we have plenty of other holes to plug. We need more depth on both sides of the Line, A kicker, punter and perhaps another DB. Springs is getting old and we don't know whats gonna happen with Walt Harris.

We were 6th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion rate, and Brunell had a 65 percent completion rate in the red zone. We don't need a possession receiver.

News flash this is a copy cat league. At the end of the year the rest of the NFL figured out how to stop us. We were 2nd to last in the playoffs in total (futile) offense http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TOTAL/2005/post?sort_col_1=4

Our problem is the same as it was in 2004. We still don't stretch the field and make teams pay for loading up to stop Portis. You don't do that with a super slow receiver like Joe Jurevicius.

We need a deep threat. Gibbs was looking for speed when he got Patten and Moss. Al Saunders had extremely fast guys as his top 3 receivers in KC.

This notion that we need a big guy or a possession guy for the #2 WR goes against everything we have been and will be trying to do here. Our #2 WR will be a speedster - not David Givens and especially not Joe Jurevicius.

David Givens and Joe Jurevicius put up roughly 700 yards in top offensive systems, and they are the perfect solution at #2 WR? Even if they do somehow match their production when they are put in a worse situation (which they probably won't), it still isn't even that great. We already have a guy like that. His name is David Patten. Signing a slower version of him won't help a thing.

It's hard to predict who they like out there to be the #2 WR. It might even be Patten (I doubt it, though). Whoever it is, he will be fast.

False! I don't think you are watching the same team as the rest of us...

Santana Moss was 2nd in the NFL in total yards and only ONE player and a better average YPC than he did. http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RECYDS/2005/regular

Does that sound like we aren’t stretching the field?

What we need is a WR that can actually get open, run his routes and take the double teams off of Moss, and the LB’s off of Cooley and Portis.

For those of you (and that means you Mister Happy) that are still in love with the mistake called David Patten, again ill post it his metics...

week 1 3 rec 19 yards versus Chicago

week 2 1 rec 12 yards versus Dallas

bye week

week 4 3 rec 15 yards versus sea (OT even)

week 5 7 rec 63 yards versus Den

week 6 2 rec 22 yards versus KC

week 7 2 rec 56 yards versus SF

Week 8 1 rec 6 yards versus NYG

week 9 0 rec 0 yards versus Phi

Week 10 3 rec 24 yards versus TB

Thats a whopping 22 rec for 217 yards and 0 TDs 9.9 YPAC and 2.45 receptions per game

but then again looking at his history http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playe...s?playerId=1393

he averages only 2.1 receptions per game and 14.5 yards per reception.

Now compare him to Joe Jurevicius

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1485

2.24 receptions per game, 12.9 yards per reception. Also Jurevicius has played one less year than Patten and has 3 more TD’s.

Now would you rather have a player that still is still playing at about his career average (Jurevicius) or someone who, even when healthy this year, hasn’t shown any ability to produce in this offense? (Patten).

and just to put this in further perspective..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RUSHING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=3&_1:col_1=3

Washington attempted 525 rushes in the regular season

Seattle attempted 519 rushes in the regular season.

The numbers that Jurevicius put up were in a run heavy offense just like ours.

Considering that he didnt start every game in Seattle, he still had better average numbers than Patten and would actually have the stats to be the #2 receiver, ahead of Cooley, on this team.

I'm hoping that when we trade Ramsey, not offical but come on, we get a 2-3 round pick... probably a 3rd and if it's a 4th than this entry means nothing. but with that we need a WR with height! a guy like Matt Jones with his speed and demensions would be killer for us! Gibbs will be making a cut. I see a 1. Moss, 2. draft or free agency, 3. Patten etc.... jacobs likes to drop the ball in my opinion... if he left i wouldnt be upset

News flash this is a copy cat league. At the end of the year the rest of the NFL figured out how to stop us. We were 2nd to last in the playoffs in total (futile) offense http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TOTAL/2005/post?sort_col_1=4

We were doing pretty good (35 points vs the Giants and Cowboys) right before Brunell got injured. It wasn't that people figured us out. It was injuries.

False! I don't think you are watching the same team as the rest of us...

Santana Moss was 2nd in the NFL in total yards and only ONE player and a better average YPC than he did. http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RECYDS/2005/regular

Does that sound like we aren’t stretching the field?

Moss stretches the field perfectly. Moss is exactly what we need more of. Brunell is 18th in yards per attempt. It was everybody else that wasn't stretching the field.

What we need is a WR that can actually get open, run his routes and take the double teams off of Moss, and the LB’s off of Cooley and Portis.

Exactly.

For those of you (and that means you Mister Happy) that are still in love with the mistake called David Patten, again ill post it his metics...

I am with you. I don't want Patten to be the #2 WR or even the #3.

Considering that he didnt start every game in Seattle, he still had better average numbers than Patten.

The fact that he had similar numbers to Patten is just further proof that he is not the guy we want for #2. It's his own fault that he didn't start every game. He was healthy. Not starting for the Seahawks is even more proof we don't need him.

For the record, I want Isaac Bruce or Jimmy Smith.

Then I would get a couple of projects like Koren Robinson, Andre Davis, Kelley Washington and Az Hakim.

I would want Reggie Wayne or Antwaan Randle El, but I think they will want a lot more money than they are worth.

Antonio Bryant or Eric Moulds could be good if they have their act together.

We were doing pretty good (35 points vs the Giants and Cowboys) right before Brunell got injured. It wasn't that people figured us out. It was injuries.

One game. Brunell was injured and couldn't move. That has nothing to do with getting the ball to receivers that wern't open. No other options were available outside of Moss, Cooley and Portis.

Moss stretches the field perfectly. Moss is exactly what we need more of. Brunell is 18th in yards per attempt. It was everybody else that wasn't stretching the field.

You dont need two players to stretch the fileld. You need one that stretch the field and one to capitalize on the openness in bewtween the LB's and the safeties. We need another guy in the mold of Art Monk, not another Ricky Sanders.

The fact that he had similar numbers to Patten is just further proof that he is not the guy we want for #2. It's his own fault that he didn't start every game. He was healthy. Not starting for the Seahawks is even more proof we don't need him.

He didnt have similar numbers as Patten. If you average the numbers that he had when he started, he had a much better year than Patten would have had by taken Patten's numbers for the games that he played this year and extrapolating them out to 16 games.

He wasnt starting on the Seahawks untilDarrel Jackson was injured and thats because Jackson and Engram were entrenched in their positions with the offense.

You dont need two players to stretch the fileld. You need one that stretch the field and one to capitalize on the openness in bewtween the LB's and the safeties. We need another guy in the mold of Art Monk, not another Ricky Sanders.

Both Gibbs and Saunders had 2 players to stretch the field. In fact, Saunders had 3.

You said before that we need a #2 WR to also draw a double team. I agree, but Joe Jurevicius doesn't draw a double team.

He didnt have similar numbers as Patten. If you average the numbers that he had when he started, he had a much better year than Patten would have had by taken Patten's numbers for the games that he played this year and extrapolating them out to 16 games.

He wasnt starting on the Seahawks untilDarrel Jackson was injured and thats because Jackson and Engram were entrenched in their positions with the offense.

Compare his numbers in 2005 to that of Patten's in 2004. They both played 16 games and started in 11. Patten had 800 yards and Jurevicius had 694.

He couldn't beat out Bobby Engram? That doesn't help his cause one bit.

You can't take his numbers and multiply by 16/11 because he had some of his best games when he wasn't starting. Add up the numbers of his games as a starter. Then extrapolate to 16 games. That gives him 778 yards.

Patten had 800 yards in 2004, and you don't even need to extrapolate.

Even with the extrapolation, the absolute best we can hope for with Jurevicius is 778 yards. Brunell is not going to be able sit around and point for him to change his routes like Hasselbeck did.

We clearly have one #1 WR, and then a bunch of #3's - Patten, Thrash, Jacobs. We need a solid possession guy, like Carolina had with Muhammed and Smith (anyone else notice how much our postseasons paralleled?).

BD

Archived