Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you babysit this beast for a week?

KingGibbs

Awesome!!! If he likes other dogs, Mr. Butters (my Bassett) would love to hang out with this "beast" for a few days.

Did I hear Basset? My Bassets would love a play date! My hounds love all dogs except little yippy dogs that bark constantly. They give them dirty looks and drool on their heads! :laugh:

He is going to get you back for that one!

No his exact quote:

"I do not want a dog that takes a bigger :pooh: than I do"

I have always wanted a Great Dane, or a Bull Mastif

I don't know if it was because Dozer is a "puppy", but his :pooh: was surprisingly small. Can any other mastif owners elaborate on this?

AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

He is awesome!

THAT is what I want for my birthday. I have decided........now to get my house ready for an invasion of drool!

Blondie

The Mr Clean magic eraser removes drool from flat surfaces. Walls etc! Buy stock Blondie! :laugh:

I don't know if it was because Dozer is a "puppy", but his :pooh: was surprisingly small. Can any other mastif owners elaborate on this?

Well...umm...while I never got out the tape measure, Madison's piles were about like my wife's old hound mix, which weighed about 70lbs (the hound, not the piles :silly: ), and it depended on what food she was eating. Madison loved the Old Roy dog food (she was a picky eater), but cleaning up after her on the food was a chore vs when we wre etrying other foods.

And this is a first for me...discussing my dog's :pooh: on a message board :doh: :laugh:

It amazes me how gentle they are. But, when I was walking the Mastif and my Lab (or were they walking me?) and someone was walking towards us on the same side of the street, they would literally have that oh **** look and go to the other side or just turn the opposite way.

We used to live in a not-so-nice townhouse community in Manassas, and it was hilarious to watch the the local tough-wanna-bes cross the street when we had Madison out in the front yard, especially with the all the neighbors kids were coming over to see if "Madison could come out to play". :)

Bullmastiffs are great dogs, they do mature kinda late in life so they can be a handful as puppies, but as adults they are so calm and relaxed that they can be kept in apartments with no problem as long as you take them for walks. Their drooling issues are mostly after eating or drinking - we just got used to wiping Madison's face after dinner. I have heard the same about English Mastiffs, but if you want one of those keep in mind that they can hit well over 200 pounds, especially males.

The Mr Clean magic eraser removes drool from flat surfaces. Walls etc! Buy stock Blondie! :laugh:

I love the Mr. Clean magic eraser. Oh God, am I gay now?! :laugh:

It actually saved me $1000.00 on a leather sofa and loveseat. We walked into a furniture store and came across this set being sold as is. The loveseat was flawless, but the couch had a huge coffee stain on it.

The salesperson said they tried everything to get it out, but to no avail. My wife and I told him we might have something to get it up and asked if we could run out and get it and see if it worked. He said "sure, but good luck".

Well, we came back with the eraser, moistened it and BAM! The stain came right up! We said we'll take it and the salesperson just sat there completely dumfounded. :doh:

We paid $500.00 for the set instead of the $1500.00 it would normally cost. :point2sky

My wife fell in love with a 4mo old little pit girl and we signed the adoption papers yesterday. We found Geico/Travelers will not renew our policy because of the dog (they ban something like 9 breeds, including huskies and just added mastiffs). Called Allstate, only dog prohibtion is with dogs with a prior history (not breed specific, dog specific) and actually saved about 300.00 a year for the same level of coverage we had with travelers. :)

Huskies? They ban Huskies? Why in the world would they do that, they're the sweetest dogs in the world (yes, I do happen to be a little biased, but after I got one I will never have another breed of dog. They're amazing)?

It amazes me how gentle they are. But, when I was walking the Mastif and my Lab (or were they walking me?) and someone was walking towards us on the same side of the street, they would literally have that oh **** look and go to the other side or just turn the opposite way. :laugh:

lol, yeah I've always found the bigger the dog, the sweeter (unless purposely raised to be otherwise). It's the little yappy dogs you gotta worry about. They'll attack anything and for very little reason.

Huskies? They ban Huskies? Why in the world would they do that, they're the sweetest dogs in the world (yes, I do happen to be a little biased, but after I got one I will never have another breed of dog. They're amazing)?

Thats what I was told when I called them.

Alaksan Malamutes and Huskies unfortunatly are starting to fall prey to the "vicious dog" hysteria that exists today. Some communities are starting to include them in BSLs - a recent proposal in Illinois would have declared Huskies as a dangerous breed and bannable by communities, as well as Saint Bernards. Some insurance companies are concerned about liability issues, such as Liberty Mutual who has Huskies on their blacklist. Nationwide will provide insurance for owners of "dangerous dogs", including Huskies, if they provide certification of obedience training and a letter from yoru vet.

Also, remember with insurance companies, it varies by agents. One agent for company_x may say pits are fine but rotties are not, another agent may say the opposite. And as with some communities with BSLs, insurance agencies are also starting to worry less about the breed of a dog and more about the dog itself, like Allstate, who to used to ban breeds, including Huskies, but now goes by the dog and its history (has the individual dog ever bitten anyone, etc). Also, some states, such as PA, has made it illegal to deny insurance based on ownership of specific dog breeds.

And ya, I agree. The Huskies I have been around have been good dogs :) And most insurance companies do not care if you have one, same with Mastiffs (had to mention mastiffs so I would be a little on topic in the thread :D ).

Thats what I was told when I called them.

Alaksan Malamutes and Huskies unfortunatly are starting to fall prey to the "vicious dog" hysteria that exists today. Some communities are starting to include them in BSLs - a recent proposal in Illinois would have declared Huskies as a dangerous breed and bannable by communities, as well as Saint Bernards. Some insurance companies are concerned about liability issues, such as Liberty Mutual who has Huskies on their blacklist. Nationwide will provide insurance for owners of "dangerous dogs", including Huskies, if they provide certification of obedience training and a letter from yoru vet.

Also, remember with insurance companies, it varies by agents. One agent for company_x may say pits are fine but rotties are not, another agent may say the opposite. And as with some communities with BSLs, insurance agencies are also starting to worry less about the breed of a dog and more about the dog itself, like Allstate, who to used to ban breeds, including Huskies, but now goes by the dog and its history (has the individual dog ever bitten anyone, etc). Also, some states, such as PA, has made it illegal to deny insurance based on ownership of specific dog breeds.

And ya, I agree. The Huskies I have been around have been good dogs :) And most insurance companies do not care if you have one, same with Mastiffs (had to mention mastiffs so I would be a little on topic in the thread :D ).

Wow, that's insane. If they did any research they would know that, as far as relations with people go, they are one of the most gentle breeds around (they might eat the neighbor's cat, though :D). In fact, one of the first things they tell you is don't get one if you want a guard dog because they will just lick a burglar's face. It's probablly just because they look like wolves (they're actually not even close, the breed has been fully domesticated for 3000 years)

Wow, that's insane. If they did any research they would know that, as far as relations with people go, they are one of the most gentle breeds around (they might eat the neighbor's cat, though :D). In fact, one of the first things they tell you is don't get one if you want a guard dog because they will just lick a burglar's face. It's probablly just because they look like wolves (they're actually not even close, the breed has been fully domesticated for 3000 years)

As of 2000, Huskies are #4 on the list of fatal dog attacks since 1978, behind "pitbulls", rotties, and german shepards, and also rank high on the CDC's most likely to bite list (tho the CDC does make the point that, for bite stats, the numbers go up and down based upon the popularity of the breed), which is the reasoning used. Like the other dogs on the lists, the majority are great animals (pits are used as therapy dogs alot, police use their GSDs in community outreach programs, etc), but the few that act contrary to the breed's norm make the headlines, etc.

lol, yeah I've always found the bigger the dog, the sweeter (unless purposely raised to be otherwise). It's the little yappy dogs you gotta worry about. They'll attack anything and for very little reason.

Kind of like the short man complex, they always gotta start fights. It's never the big guys at the bar, it's the small ones.

Archived