Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ketchman Paranoid About Assistant Signings

JoeSkins

Snyder should call up some chinese newspaper reporters and tell them about how one of the most successful businesses in America is reverting to a communist approach to how they run their business with revenue sharing. The newspapers will then write stories about how capitalism fails with big business and point to the NFL as an example. Send the articles to the Bush administration. Problem solved, capitalism wins!

One thing is for sure, Snyder could care less about the competitive balance and overall welfare of the other NFL franchises.

His cutthroat approach to league dealings is in direct contrast to legends like Mara and Rooney who helped build the league. Shoot, back in the 60's, some owners lent money to other owners to keep the league going.

Wow! Such words of wisdom from a philthy fan.

:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck :eaglesuck

The Yankees do it, and their franchise is praised for winning so many championships and creating an franchise that's a perennial contender, the Lakers did it when they brought in Phil Jackson and other big names to win championships, the Redskins do it and we're an evil empire. Whatever. All I care is that I'm excited. How can a Skins fan not be? The signing of Saunders alone made me pee my pants in excitement.

The coach's salaries, even with the Redskins, pale in comparision to each team's salary budget for the players. I would have to disagree, Westbrook36 - If a team can play its players with their pro-salaries, then they should be able to pay the coaches as well, especially if they are worth their salary. Snyder and othe teams are merely elevating the coaching staff's salary so that it is more on par with the players.

I will ask you this, Westbrook36 - not to just pick on you - but if an owner feels a coach is worth a certain price, shouldn't it be the owner's priority to pay the coach that salary...especially if he is worth it? Or do you think coaches should get below their market value just to protect teams who may be too "spend thrifty" to pay their coaches a more reasonable salary (in comparision to the players)?

The Yankees do it, and their franchise is praised for winning so many championships and creating an franchise that's a perennial contender, the Lakers did it when they brought in Phil Jackson and other big names to win championships, the Redskins do it and we're an evil empire. Whatever. All I care is that I'm excited. How can a Skins fan not be? The signing of Saunders alone made me pee my pants in excitement.

You're right...no one has ever bashed the yankees or lakers for their free spending ways. Btw, ever been to Boston?

/sarcasm

I would have to disagree, Westbrook36 - If a team can play its players with their pro-salaries, then they should be able to pay the coaches as well, especially if they are worth their salary.

Some teams cannot afford to keep good players either. Some smaller teams let good players go annually, and don't even come close to using all of the money in the salary cap, while other teams overspend whats given in the cap and find ways to hide it. So I guess my point is that some teams cannot even pay their players the same pro-salaries as other teams (whether it be in bonus money or whatever), so they are not going to pay their coaches as well either.

Snyder did nothing wrong. There are no league rules against his paying coaches as he see fit. He does so to obtain or retain the best coaches based on his opinion and others within the organization...namely Joe Gibbs. He (and other owners) already share a big piece of their revenue. To ask me, or others, to feel sorry for small market teams and their owners when Snyder is playing by the rules is just naive. To ask Snyder to stand by when a coach is available that will help the Redskins win is ridiculous.

Some teams cannot afford to keep good players either. Some smaller teams let good players go annually, and don't even come close to using all of the money in the salary cap, while other teams overspend whats given in the cap and find ways to hide it. So I guess my point is that some teams cannot even pay their players the same pro-salaries as other teams (whether it be in bonus money or whatever), so they are not going to pay their coaches as well either.

To be honest, I think perhaps this is more applicable to a team, such as the Packers, that may be community owned and more "focused," in a sense, in the "small market." But this isn't always true - most football teams are owned by owners or minority owners that can easily pay the few million more dollars per year that Snyder has decided to pay their coaching

We have to keep this in mind - we are talking about an extra million or two a year these coaches. We are not talking about 20 million dollars a year, or some such figure. To me, considering this is a small sum for ANY TEAM'S player salary, it is a discussion that smacks less and less of "fairness," and more of a team's excuse for why they are not willing to spend a little bit more money (in comparision to all of the millions spent in othe areas of a football team).

I do not know of a single football team that isn't worth in the tens, if not in the hundreds, of millions, and who couldn't pay their coaches a few million more a year (combined), compared to the overall expenses of the team. Even small market teams...

I have watched this all over NFL Network and ESPN. Even Paul Tagliabu has commented that it could hurt the league as well. I agree with someone elses point in here that truly for Gibbs, it is about assembling the best group of coaches to have the most successful team in the NFL. There is a quote out there that goes something like this. If you think pennies, you will get pennies, if you think Dollars, you will get dollars. I belive the same holds true in the NFL, not just the Redskins. If you think Superbowl, you will get Superbowl. And often times, that takes Dollars. Go SKINS!

The Redskins are skyrocketing the value of assistant coaches, which will have a trickle-down effect that will be passed on to all of the teams in the league who don't have the kind of money the Redskins have. I'm starting to think the Redskins are doing this intentionally. I'm starting to think this might be a conspiracy against small-market teams.

This part of his article could be correct. It would be smart.

People whine and cry when a team does something that they feel hurts the parity of the league. I get it. I understand that concern. But I hope the Redskins never do. It's their job to win. Not to make sure the small market teams of the world have a fair shake.

This is a competitive sport. The goal is to win.

The league office' goal is to keep things competitive so that they put out an exciting product. This so-called journalist needs to think a little bit more about the nature of the business he is discussing.

One thing is for sure, Snyder could care less about the competitive balance and overall welfare of the other NFL franchises.

His cutthroat approach to league dealings is in direct contrast to legends like Mara and Rooney who helped build the league. Shoot, back in the 60's, some owners lent money to other owners to keep the league going.

This Westbrook36 post is complete and utter nonsense!:bsflag: :bsflag: :troll:

We have to keep this in mind - we are talking about an extra million or two a year these coaches. We are not talking about 20 million dollars a year, or some such figure.

To be fair, it could easily start to approach 20 million...

2mil extra per year for one head coach and 2 coordinators = 6 mil

extra money big market teams spend on bonus money each year that smaller teams dont = 8-10 mil? (if someone could help me find some numbers id appreciate it)

millions under the cap that small market teams dont spend = 2-10 mil

when you look at all the areas big market teams can outspend a smaller team, it becomes a pretty big number...

A conspiracy would certainly take more than one team doing this. Besides, he didn't think we were doing this so we could get the best staff in place and KEEP them here. We couldn't possibly be trying to win, that would be ridiculous.

Guest GibbSkins11

lol snyder is building a winner gibbs style , people dont like it b/c they know we are gonna be great our defense will be top 5 are offense at worst top 10 and we have the GREATEST COACHING STAFF EVER ASSEMBLED

how many ex cord do we have as pos coaches , gray is a great coach he had a bad year last year b/c of injuries aka spikes , etc , he was a beasty cord before that , to sum it up just like in the 80s people are mad b/c gibbs is a legend they are scared:cheers: and i luv it

Vic is a bonafide idiot lol

Honestly, its hard to be that stupid... Conspiracy lol? Or maybe they want the best coaches in the league, duh.

I also like how all the football heads that dont know jack about economics pretend they do, and talk about how the Redskins singlehandedly are driving salaries up. WRONG. It takes a competitor to do that. In fact, since we have all our coaching spots filled, there is LESS demand for coaches, and the 31 remaining teams are only willing to pay what they normaly would for them.

Archived