Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trivia Question... Biggest player ever?

DE SKINS FAN

Redskins did try to sign Andre the Giant, which would have been the biggest, but it never materialized...I'd say Aaron Gibson, I believe he weighed more than Gilbert Brown.

Smallest? I don't know, you could probably find a guy back in the 1920s...maybe a kicker.

For those interested, Andre the Giant was 7'4" and roughly 500 lbs., according to the bio on his official site. He'd be far and away the largest man in NFL history. Sadly, he's been dead for well over a decade, so it'd be impossible to get details on that old chestnut about George Allen trying to sign him up for special teams.

Bruce Allen, George's son and current GM of the Bucs, is a frequent guest on sports talk radio here in Tampa; next time he's on, I'll try to get through and see if perhaps he remembers the details.

Are you talking about weight or height, when you say the biggest?

A number of players on rosters have been in the 400-425 lb range -- like Gilbert Brown, Aaron Gibson, Toniu Fonoti. But usually with players this heavy, they are not effective and quickly in the coach's doghouse and usually riding the pine. Because they are way overweight, out of shape and lack stamina, they are usually embarrassed by their weight and reluctant to disclose their true weight. Consequently, when questioned about their weight, they usually try to downplay it and indicate it is lower than it is. So it would actually be hard to figure out who was truly the heaviest player ever to play.

By the way, Wally Kline was a Bobby Beathard-Redskins bust, who was listed in scouting books as 6'9" tall. As I recall, he was drafted in the 2nd round from Notre Dame where he had been a DE, and was a bust. The Redskins then tried to convert him to an OT, but he was cut in his rookie season as I recall. He was just too slow and also lacked quickness.

But if you are talking about the biggest players that were any good, I would say these come to mind.

DE - Cowboys - Ed Too Tall Jones - 6' 9"

WR - Eagles - Harold Carmichael - 6' 10" - used to catch "Alley Oop" jump ball passes in the endzone. The 49ers also had R.C. "Alley Oop" Owens, but he wasn't near as tall.

A classic matchup was when the Buzzards tried to get Harold Carmichael to be covered by Redskins CB Pat Fischer, who only weighed about 170 lbs! :D

T - Cardinals - Leonard Davis 385 lbs.

QB - Redskins - Eddie LeBaron - I believe was around 5' 6"

:D

[quote name='inmate

By the way, Wally Kline was a Bobby Beathard-Redskins bust, who was listed in scouting books as 6'9" tall. As I recall, he was drafted in the 2nd round from Notre Dame where he had been a DE, and was a bust. The Redskins then tried to convert him to an OT, but he was cut in his rookie season as I recall. He was just too slow and also lacked quickness.

I shook this guy's hand and couldn't believe how freakin huge it was. The guys legs were bigger around than my entire body. I do remember him lumbering around the field though, didn't seem too athletic at all.

I know this doesn't answer your question..... but I heard a rumor back in the '70s that George Allen attempted to sign Andre the Giant, the famous wrestler, to the Redskins. If this were true and he did play... he probably would have been the biggest.

Has anyone else heard this story? :cool:

This is the silliest thing I think Ive ever heard, it took him a half hour to tie his shoes... :doh:

Archived