Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We sign Free agent Canadian Running Back

drewski

After reading this WHOLE thread, the theory I like the best is to convert this guy to a WR. He's the perfect size to be a possession receiver. ...though I can also see him as being insurance in case Rock signs elswhere.

Anybody know anything about his hands? Is there real receiver potential here?

As I said, I think his ticket for making the roster is if he can show that he can return kicks. From everything I've been reading, it sounds like he should be good at it, as long as he can hold onto the ball.

Physically, he sounds a lot like Kelvin Bryant, who was good when he was healthy.

Jason

http://www.jesselumsden.net/

Jesse from the Shrine Bowl. THIS KID IS VERY EXPLOSIVE TO SAY THE LEAST!. Forget the WR thing he is all RB.

Those clips of Jesse playing in the Shrine Bowl last year are a very good indication of what he can do. The one you called Play number two is what he does best. He gets his momentum up very quickly and it's hard for the defense to grab him. He is all uppper body strength and bulldozes ahead. NFL Quarterback Jesse Palmer who was also the Batchelor on the reality show a few years ago is personal friends with the Lumsden family and has followed Lumsdens career closely so far.

I don't see him as a wide receiver though as he is best coming out of the backfield with ball in hand or a play-action type play or screen pass.

He is very exciting when returning kicks and he goes straight ahead and never dances looking for room. He creates his own room.

Those clips of Jesse playing in the Shrine Bowl last year are a very good indication of what he can do. The one you called Play number two is what he does best. He gets his momentum up very quickly and it's hard for the defense to grab him. He is all uppper body strength and bulldozes ahead.

See, I didn't see that as anything other than ordinary for the NFL, and for a running back, it's the power out of the lower body that usually makes a difference. Look at the legs on guys like Priest Holmes and Shaun Alexander, shoot, even Portis and Betts. You have to be able to move the pile with more than momentum.

So, I'm seeing this as a possible kick returner.

Yes, I think you're correct Wally. He doesn't have the bulked up legs and thighs that Priest Holmes does and certainly doesn't dance around the backfield but what he does do best and I think is a special talent is he bursts straight ahead with such speed and accuracy in picking his spots that he leaves guys grasping at air. In full flight I've seen him shift directions on a dime and never lose a step.

You will see what I'm talking about in training camp. And he carries the ball to protect it at all times. You are going to enjoy watching him work.

I don't see him as a wide receiver though as he is best coming out of the backfield with ball in hand or a play-action type play or screen pass.

I don't think any fans saw Charlie Taylor as a WR in his first season with the Redskins either. Fortunately, there was someone in the organization with much better vision than the average Joe...

After watching those clips, I'm definitley thinking KR. It looks like he has some nifty moves to avoid tacklers and enough speed to get past them. He also did a good job finishing off one of the runs. I do agree that he does seem to be a bit spindly to be an NFL back, but as I said, the kid's best chance is at KR while he figures out where he belongs in the NFL.

Jason

After seeing those clips, I have to agree. I see him as a KR/PR at this early point of his NFL career. If he wants to catch on as a RB he needs to get in some power lifting and bulk up those legs. If he makes the team as a STeamer, then he may be given a look at H-Back, TE or WR. Until I see those skinny legs bulked up, I can't see him being a RB.

Good luck to him and I hope things work out for him. Hopefully he won't get hurt early in training camp and gets a decent shot at it. ;-)

I hope this means the end of Rock Cartwrights career in DC...

:puke:

What is so funny about this signing.

The fact that sooooooo many say 'GOODBYE ROCK'.

Gosh, when did I hear that earlier in the year.

OH YEAH........WHEN THEY DRAFTED NEMO.

I have the threads marked with lots of you saying........Rock is gone. Nemo will be #2. .........etc.........etc...........etc.

I have NO idea where Rock will play next year. Those negotiations won't begin for a while.

But signing this guy does NOT automatically mean Rock is gone.

Blondie

Lumsden has pro film from his 5 starts as a pro tb with Hamilton (not a single passed dropped - and 720 combined yards in 5 games) that must have caused the coaches in washington to take notice - his youth, size and speed (4.43 timed by washington coaches last week, as per Sportsnet article) are also impressive - no one can suggest otherwise - suspect the skin coaches would look less at college career in canada, or his being cut from seattle (injury prevented him from playing) and focus on what he did in the cfl against pretty good talent (most are former div 1 standouts who have had exposure to nfl camps) and his workout in washington, cause these two items are most current

Will be interesting to see what he can do when healthy, as he can catch, run and return kicks - and he has played pro ball which should help his confidence

solid runner who gained the bulk of his college yards against the weakest conference in Canadian football. Has good quickness and speed, solid hands and is tough. runs too upright and doesnt read and cut well, lacks instincts. (like most canaidan kids he didnt have the level of coaching or competition.)

I like Lumsden and he has the measurables I hope he finds the intangibles as he is a good kid and would help the return game.

it is simply wrong to say that lumsden has anything short of 'great' speed - he is in the 4.4's as a tb that is over 220 lbs. And on the field, it shows.

on the 'instincts' comment, again, all CFL coaches and players would say that lumsden was top rate in this area - his yardage per pro game played 2 thru 6, for a rookie of his age, is as good as the cfl has ever seen (700+ yards all purpose)

The washington coaches presumably saw the above. Otherwise, he would not have been pursued. That seems certain.

The OUA is the weakest division??? Who won the Vanier in 2006? Who has won the most Vanier Cups??? Believe me if Jesse was running against West Canada he would have racked up a lot more yards. West Canada is by far the weakest divison in Canadian University Football.

Archived