Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We sign Free agent Canadian Running Back

drewski

Speaking of CFL players, Jon Ryan, the punter of Winnipeg who had a great year is scheduled to have a workout with the Skins. The Packers and Giants have looked at him and the Bengals want to.

The Giants are looking around for punters like they have some inside information. Most recently they have showed interest in CFL Punter, Jon Ryan, currently of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Ryan set a CFL record in 2005 with a 50.6 yards-per-punt average. Obviously the Giants weren’t the only team to notice this, as the Packers have already worked him out, and the Redskins and Bengals have scheduled to do.

http://nygiants.mostvaluablenetwork.com/giants-101/jeff-feagles-to-retire-replacement/

That was quick. Couple of kicks in an NFL camp and a solid contract offer.

Jon Ryan, who set a CFL record for punting average (50.6 yards) with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers last season, worked out for the Green Bay Packers Monday morning and left town with an offer that included a $10,000 US signing bonus, he confirmed from Phoenix, Ari., yesterday.

"They made me the offer right after my workout," said Ryan, 25. "It showed that I impressed them a little bit at least. To get offered a contract so quickly means they think I'm an NFL type of punter anyway."

Ryan, however, was in no rush to ink the pact, as he has another workout scheduled with the Cincinnati Bengals tomorrow.

Although both the New York Giants and Washington Redskins are also reportedly interested, no other workouts have been scheduled, Ryan said.

"My agent, Gil Scott, has been talking to other teams, but nothing has been lined up," he said. "(Scott) told them (Packers) that he would talk to them again on Friday after my workout in Cincy."

Scott has not returned messages left Monday.

While some may deem Green Bay's offer relatively low, Ryan said there is at least a legitimate opening there next season.

"Green Bay told me the position next year was going to be wide open," said the 6-foot, 220-pound Regina native. "So, even if it's not a large signing bonus, at least I'd be competing for an open spot and not against an established veteran."

The Packers have apparently soured on punter B.J. Sander.

If, for some reason, Ryan should decide to pass on the NFL, he will become a CFL free agent in mid-February. He remains Bomber property until then.

The Bombers have left a lucrative offer on the table for Ryan. However, speculation has already started in Regina that the Bombers may be interested in punter/placekicker Paul McCallum, who is also about to become a free agent, should they lose Ryan.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2006/01/18/1399813-sun.html

Hes 6'2...

Aren't running backs considered too tall if they are above 6 feet tall?

Don't tell that to these guys. They all have 2 things in common. :)

Marcus Allen (RB) 1982-1997

Jim Brown (FB) 1957-1965

Larry Csonka (FB) 1968-1979

Eric Dickerson (RB) 1983-1993

Frank Gifford (HB-FL) 1952-1960, 1962-1964

Franco Harris (RB) 1972-1984

Paul Hornung (HB) 1957-1962, 1964-1966

John Henry Johnson (FB) 1954-1966

Leroy Kelly (RB) 1964-1973

Ollie Matson (HB) 1952, 1954-1966

Hugh McElhenny (HB) 1952-1964

Lenny Moore (HB) 1956-1967

Marion Motley (FB) 1946-1953, 1955

Joe Perry (FB) 1948-1963

John Riggins (RB) 1971-1979, 1981-1985

Gale Sayers (HB) 1965-1971

O.J. Simpson (RB) 1969-1979

Jim Taylor (FB) 1958-1967

Charley Trippi (HB) 1947-1955

i'm sure he was brought in as a kick returner, and man do we need one of those. antonio brown ain't right in the head. anybody who can fumble the ball and get up after the play clapping with a smile on his face must have a couple bolts loose. and he blew kisses to the crowd in an away game..... yeah......

Uh.....guys.....he was CUT by the Seahawks and could not make their team.......try not to get so excited over a tiny signing......the off season is about 9 months long.....camp fodder or special teams if he's lucky....not likely he is knocking Ladell, Rock or Nemo from the roster.

As I always do, I was going to suggest looking into where the guy came from most recently and why before everyone gets all a-goin...around here, he didn't show much of anything according to most reports...the good news is there are a just a couple other people on local radio who thought he had some potential and just hasn't been given enough time or personal attention...with our coaching staff, that won't happen here...if there's anything to him, our guys will find it :)

There were some promising players in this game that went on to make NFL teams like: t Nick Kaczur, qb Stefan LeFors, rb Ryan Moats and rb Brandon Jacobs. :D

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/01/15/Sports/lumsden_shrine050115.html

Lumsden impresses in Shrine Game

WebPosted Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:04:57 EST

CBC Sports

Canadian Jesse Lumsden didn't look at all out of place alongside his American college football cohorts Saturday at the 80th East-West Shrine Game in San Francisco.

FROM JAN. 15, 2005: Canadian football trio ready for Shrine time

McMaster University running back Jesse Lumsden ran for 41 yards on five carries in Saturday's East-West Shrine college all-star game in San Francisco. (CP Photo)

The McMaster Marauders running back led the East in rushing with 41 yards on five carries as the East routed the West 45-27.

A native of Burlington, Ont., Lumsden averaged an impressive 8.2 yards per carry and his longest run was for 21 yards.

"I was happy with my performance," said Lumsden, who wasn't put into the game until the third quarter. "When I got in, my heart was pumping, that's for sure. Once I got the first carry out of the way, the rhythm got going. Once I got in, I did what I could."

"He's a big strong guy," said Purdue's Joe Tiller, who coached the East. "I was impressed when we ran a trap inside about four times and he was the only guy to hit the hole."

Saturday's game capped off an amazing 2004 season for the fourth-year geography student.

Lumsden broke the Canadian Interuniversity Sport single-season rushing mark with 1,816 yards this past year. Also falling was the CIS single-season touchdown record (21), the CIS career touchdown record (43) and the Ontario University Athletics career rushing record (4,328).

The 2004 Hec Crighton Trophy winner as the top Canadian university football player, Lumsden is expected to get a shot at the NFL, either as a late draft pick or a free agent, San Diego Chargers scout Mike McCarthy told the Canadian Press in the fall.

Lumsden wasn't the only Canadian to see action in Saturday's game.

"I thought I did well," said East offensive tackle Nick Kaczur from Brantford, Ont., who plays for the University of Toledo. "The field took a little bit to get used to. We had to widen our stance or get beat."

Nick Johansson, a defensive tackle with the University of British Columbia, played for the West. He didn't register any tackles.

"I think I played okay, but I could have played a little better," Johansson said. "The athletes here were really good. The East was doing a lot of bootleg stuff and the boots were away from me. There wasn't much I could do except chase."

Louisville quarterback Stefan LeFors threw three touchdowns to lead the East to victory on Saturday.

LeFors, the game's MVP, ended 10-of-17 passing for 165 yards and hooked up with Louisville teammate J.R. Russell on touchdown strikes of 36 and 37 yards. Taylor Stubblefield hauled in two touchdown receptions for the East, which scored 21 points in the second quarter to turn a close game into a laugher.

Ryan Moats and Chauncey Stovall each had rushing scores in the victory for the East, which got a measure of revenge from last year's game.

Last season, the West cruised to a 28-7 victory and Boise State' Ryan Dinwiddie was named the MVP of the contest along with UCLA's Brandon Chillar.

Brandon Jacobs ran 11 times for 102 yards and two scores to lead the West.

with files from Canadian Press & Sports Network

OK, we should all be thankful, I had the honor of watching this man play in college, and I was very close to playing against him but he is was in the East in college! He is an animal, this is the greates day for me, Canadian football meets the skins! INCREDIBLE!

P.S- I was at that shrine game and he LIT it up against your american players, I am not sure if they were div 1 or 2, but this kid has always been special, his dad is a CFL Hall of Famer and he is a baller! I say Welcome!

OK, we should all be thankful, I had the honor of watching this man play in college, and I was very close to playing against him but he is was in the East in college! He is an animal, this is the greates day for me, Canadian football meets the skins! INCREDIBLE!

P.S- I was at that shrine game and he LIT it up against your american players, I am not sure if they were div 1 or 2, but this kid has always been special, his dad is a CFL Hall of Famer and he is a baller! I say Welcome!

What can you tell us about his running style? I assume he's largely a power guy, considering his size. But if he's running 4.4 or 4.5 in the 40, obviously he's got speed too.

Also, considering he was signed by Gibbs, he's gotta be a character guy. I saw one story where he cut his hair for donation to Locks of Love. Gotta like that.

I guess if you could, tell us as much as you can about this kid. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know as much as possible about him. Thanks!

Research..... research. :read: :paranoid:

http://seahawks.scout.com/2/428339.html?refid=3644

Seahawks Acquire Scobey, Shed Woodard and Lumsden

New Seahawk Josh Scobey By Doug Farrar

Seahawks.NET

Date: Aug 23, 2005

--Finally, the team announced the release of UDFA running back Jesse Lumsden. Lumsden was a college sensation at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, where he rushed for over 1,800 yards in just eight games in his senior season. In those eight games, Lumsden had six 200-yard rushing games and 4 for over 250 yards.

At the NFL level, Lumsden fell victim to the Seahawks' deep pool of running backs and nagging hip and knee injuries early on in the team's training camp.

Lumsden was also drafted by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League in the first round of the 2005 CFL Draft.

Research..... research. :read: :paranoid:

http://seahawks.scout.com/2/428339.html?refid=3644

Seahawks Acquire Scobey, Shed Woodard and Lumsden

New Seahawk Josh Scobey By Doug Farrar

Seahawks.NET

Date: Aug 23, 2005

--Finally, the team announced the release of UDFA running back Jesse Lumsden. Lumsden was a college sensation at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, where he rushed for over 1,800 yards in just eight games in his senior season. In those eight games, Lumsden had six 200-yard rushing games and 4 for over 250 yards.

At the NFL level, Lumsden fell victim to the Seahawks' deep pool of running backs and nagging hip and knee injuries early on in the team's training camp.

Lumsden was also drafted by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League in the first round of the 2005 CFL Draft.

Actually, it was 1816 and 21 TDs...I read as much as I could find. But as you know, the numbers only tell you so much. I'm interested in hearing from someone who watched him play on a regular basis.

A very interesting prospect indeed. I look forward to seeing him in the preseason.

Nobody mentioned that Ladell Betts is a free agent. The team will let him go. They'll keep Cartwright. Nemo and this fella will battle it out for the #3 spot.

Ladell Betts is NOT a free agent. He is signed thru 2006. Cartwright is a free agent though.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/v-printer/story/5074211p-4624308c.html

Canada watches Lumsden try to catch Seahawks’ eyes

DAVE BOLING; THE NEWS TRIBUNE

August 4th, 2005

CHENEY – After a Seattle Seahawks minicamp practice this spring, an inordinate number of reporters and film crews coagulated around a running back to capture his comments. The gathering was large enough that other players could hardly gain entrance to the team’s headquarters.

Was the coveted subject Shaun Alexander? No, he was absent.

A big-time veteran free agent?

No, at the center of their focus was rookie free agent Jesse Lumsden. If the name Jesse Lumsden isn’t near the top of your fantasy draft lists, you probably aren’t from Canada.

To local fans, Lumsden might be another long-shot rookie trying to stick with the Seahawks, but in the Great White North, he’s huge news. Hence the media assault. They were all from Canada, and since the NHL was out of business, they had plenty of surplus print and video.

Lumsden, out of McMaster University in Ontario, won the 2004 Hec Crighton Trophy, the Canadian version of the Heisman.

In eight games last season, Lumsden rushed for 1,816 yards – an improbable 227 per game. He averaged 10.2 yards per carry.

The performance may cause us to question whether there is an exchange rate on Canadian yardage.

This concern is reinforced when statistics reveal that his longest run from scrimmage during the season was 108 yards – impossible on this side of the border.

(To clarify, the field in Canada is 110 yards long as well as 35 feet wider, and the college rules mirror those of the CFL, with 12 players per side, three downs to make a first and unlimited motion.)

Some other numbers are impressive – and indisputable. At 6-foot-2, 224 pounds, with a 40-yard dash clocking in the sub-4.5-second range, Lumsden appears to have the physical wherewithal to compete. He’s quick enough that they’re trying him as a kickoff returner.

He has shown good hands, with a little swerve in his stride at the point of attack. And he runs with his pads out in front, making him tough to bring down.

In the Wednesday morning practice, he scored a touchdown in goal-line drills and cracked a nice breakaway in a team session.

But he also bobbled a kickoff, and he has missed some assignments during the first week of camp. Lumsden understands there’s a low threshold for mistakes at his position, particularly considering veterans Alexander, Maurice Morris and Kerry Carter are anchored atop his name on the depth chart.

“I’m learning a lot of things and making a few mistakes and trying to correct them,” Lumsden said. “That’s part of being a rookie. You just can’t mess up too many times because they’ll give you a plane ticket home.”

It’s not unheard of for Canada natives to make it in the NFL; the Seahawks have four in camp – receiver Jerome Pathon, Carter, snapper J.P. Darche and Lumsden.

Pathon (Washington) and Carter (Stanford) came up through big college programs in the United States, while Darche and Lumsden took the less conventional route, playing college ball in Canada.

“Jesse and I came up the hard way, through Canadian schools, and that’s a lot different,” said Darche, who quickly invited Lumsden to his house for dinner after his signing for what must have been an evening of national fellowship.

“I heard all about him; he was a big thing up there,” Darche said. “I followed him through the Internet. He was incredible.”

If you wonder why Lumsden isn’t playing right wing for the Toronto Maple Leafs, it’s because of his father. Neil Lumsden was a football player who had a nine-year career in the CFL.

“Neil was a really good blocking fullback who caught the ball well out of the backfield,” said former Seahawk Warren Moon, who was Neil Lumsden’s teammate with the Edmonton Eskimos.

“The value of having a native Canadian playing so well at an important position is that it allows you to use your (limited) American imports at other places,” Moon said.

Blocking and absorbing the terminology will be the key to adaptation to the American game, Moon predicted.

Darche was asked if experience in the wide-open, short-passing game prevalent in Canada might actually help Lumsden make the switch to the West Coast offense used by the Seahawks.

“It’s pretty different, with all the motion. This is so much more structured,” Darche said. “But the thing is, he’s pretty big and he’s definitely got a lot of speed. If he can succeed in returning kickoffs, it would be an important part of the equation for him. He’s a great kid; I hope he makes it.”

The Seahawks were among a handful of NFL teams willing to import Lumsden, but he picked Seattle because “there’s good running backs to learn from, coach (Mike) Holmgren is an excellent coach, and Seattle is a great community with a good fan base,” Lumsden said.

If Lumsden is rational and logical about his chances, perhaps that’s because philosophy is a field of study he plans on pursuing.

“I’m still in school, working on my degree (geography and environmental science), but I want to work on a philosophy degree after this,” he said.

“Maybe later on I’d like to go back to school to work on a master’s (degree). I just find it really interesting.”

It’s unlikely many players are taking this camp more seriously than Lumsden, who is hard on himself after mistakes and is frequently asking questions to hasten his move up the learning curve.

“This is the greatest opportunity I’ve ever had,” he said. “This is what I’ve worked my whole life for, so I’m not going to let it slip away easily. I can promise you that. I plan on sticking around.”

Dave Boling: 253-597-8440

I don't get the thought by many that Betts will be gone next year. When Betts came back from injury he got all the backup carries, Cartwright got none. Rock might be back as a special teams guy but I doubt as the #2 RB.

This new guy probably isn't a threat to any of the backs, more likely insurance in case Cartwright signs elsewhere.

Lumsden was a very late cut for the Seahawks. That should tell you something about his abilities.

This is absolutely hilarious from my perspective. I coach minor football in Hamilton. Lumsden is HUGE here because he went to McMaster University (in Hamilton)... so everyone was excited he had a shot at the pros. When he got cut, EVERYONE in this town was elated that he was playing for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats last year. Talk of the town.

It's so funny. Our football league hosts an annual mini-camp for the kids... and Lumsden was there (the biggest "name" :laugh: ). As a bonus, I took pictures of all our kids taking handoffs from Jesse... so they should REALLY dig those now :)

In fact, one of my parents mentioned to me just yesterday how Lumsden was at her child's school for a couple of days this week, signing autographs and hanging out (he is good friends with one of the instructors)... and how ecstatic her son was to meet and talk with him.

She's going to have a good laugh when I tell her the Redskins signed him.

In fact, this should really work in my favor now. Now, all the kids will be rooting for the Redskins too :laugh:

As far as my impressions, I never saw the guy play. From what I saw of him at our mini-camp.... he looked built like a WR or a QB to be brutally honest. Having been to the Redskins training camp just weeks before... and comparing him to the players on the Redskins roster... he's not "big" (muscles, physique) by any means. He's just tall. Not skinny/lanky... but not big enough to be a runningback in the NFL.

Of course, I shared those sentiments with my coaching staff... so now I'm going to get a good ribbing.

Die Hard, do you remember Harvey Williams (I think it was Williams) who used to be a RB for the Raiders. Is he built kinda like him? Because I never understood how that guy could make it as an NFL RB.

I vaguely remember him....

kauf2.gif

If I remember correctly, he put up a few good seasons for the Raiders as well.

And looking at that picture... Williams is still much bigger than Lumsden.

Lumsden looks like a receiver... even though he has the measurables of a decent sized QB. He still looks to thin for me to be an imposing QB.

Heck, he probably looked more like Patrick Ramsey as far as physique. But Ramsey is more "defined".

Archived