Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We sign Free agent Canadian Running Back

drewski

I live in the Hamilton area (where Jesse played college and CFL ball) and got to see him on a regualr basis. The original knocks on him coming out of college by NFL scouts was he couldnt catch or block. this is simply becasue he averaged 10 yards a carry so why would you want to throw him a 5 yard pass? And blocking, well he didint do much of it in college but how many backs who rack up 200+ yards a game are asked to be a lead blocker? He would have got better numbers in his breif CFL apperance if his former college coach would have given him the ball more often (team was hopeless when he arrived, just seeing what talent they had for next season by the time he arrived)Bottom line he is an athelete, 6'2" 225 and a 4.4 forty who has good football IQ and pedigree regardless of his competition (or lack there of as some of you see it). He was signed the day after the draft by Seattle and had a hip injury that prevented him from showing what he could do. (cant make the club if your in the tub). To give you an idea of how coveted he is in Canada, even after Seattle had signed him, the Hamilton Tiger Cats still took him in the first round of the CFL draft with no guarentee that he would even report(#6 overall I think.)

As for the people who say convert him to wide reciever, I think thats just crazy. Jesse is far too good at seeing at hitting holes and making people miss. Jesse is also not afraid to drag a defender 20 yards after "wrapping him up" (and im not talking about that 120lb Queens player posted in an earlier photo). Most importantly JESSE LIKES TO RUN THROUGH PEOPLE, and I've seen him do it on guys as small as 150lb corners and 270lb linemen.

I really hope he gets a fair shake with the skins and doesnt fall prey to NFL politics (i.e. we drafted thsi guy 3rd and pay him 7x as much so give him a shot before the Canadian). Yes he could be a great return man, ST'er or even jsut a charcter guy in the locker room, but if you dont see him running the ball in camp or preseason, your not getting all that Jesse can give you. Im not saying he's a starter in the NFL, but he is well above the practice squad and could end up being a great back up or 3rd down back in the NFL.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DONT ASK HIM TO GAIN 50 LBS AND TURN HIM INTO A FULL BACK!!!!!:logo:

it is a crowded position, as there are now 6 under contract

there seems no way that both cartwright and betts can return - so it should go down to 5

re nemo, the brandon jacobs type of argument, imo, really holds little to no water, as the giants found out this year - they would have been far better off giving the rock to barber in the red/green zone, and they understood that as the year went on

in skintown, it seems that unless broughton is either fast or elusive, (have to make the first guy miss) his value should not rise much - the new nfl values these two things above all else, esp in saunders world - i didn't see nemo play in the preseason so am wondering if he is either or both - i don't know - the predraft appraisals on him (from gil brandt, etc) all said he runs 4.6 at best and can only run thru people, not around anyone, and is thus not a true tailback

while portis is a lock, (throw away the key) it seems as though rb position 2 thru 4 will be somewhat open in camp (w betts having an advantage, should he return) - should be exciting, as the output from rb#2 (and saunders desire to see more options created here) will go a long way to deciding the skins success next year

As I said, the key for him is being a stud on special teams, especially if he shows the ability to return kicks. If artmonkforHOF is correct and he does like to run through people, he should be of the perfect mentality for ST.

As for how he fits in with the other guys, that's up to the coaches to decide. But, a guy like that could probably be fit in a few positions.

Jason

I saw Lumsden in all his CFL games last year. He's not the biggest, or the strongest, or the fastest, but he's fast for a big guy, and strong for a fast guy. More importantly, he's got good hands, and showed an excellent ability to read and follow his blocking on both screen passes and kick returns. He combines that with an ability to accelerate when he already looks like he's running flat out. It seems to me that he's most likely to make the team as a kick or punt returner.

Murceps, Lumsdens DAD had great instincts, Jesse is solid in that regard but his vision and instincts have been hampered by his level of competition, he didnt need to deveolpe that sense of where the pursuit was coming from because he simply overpowered or outran guys and thats not gonna be an option in the NFL. He has a chance because of his measurables and NO 4-45 to 4-5 is not great speed for an RB in the NFL 4.40 to 4.3 is great 4.5 is average.

for grey cup, the Ouaa is by far the weakest CONFERENCE in canadian college ball and has been for a number of years (perhaps the AUAA other than ST marys a few years back was weaker. Spout off all you want about the number of vaniers bottom line is you usually have one or two solid teams and a bunch of patsies who couldnt beat a solid junior team. The Ouaa defences when Lumsden played were pathetic but he did do well against other conferences in interdivisional. Canda west is one of the strongest divisions top to bottom the problem is that they beat eachother up before the playoffs and usually the west team has significant injuries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ryman

to say that jesse lacks vision/instincts is just silly - his vision is his strength, more than anything else (and his coaches ALL say that, to a man - many public quotes to this effect - and i think they know football a little bit better than us fans on a board) - if his pro tape demonstrated what you claim, the wash coaches would not have offered him a contract - not in a million years

also, a 4.45 is fast for a tb - check out the indy times of last year's class (benson, cadillac, brown, etc) - they are easy to access - a 4.45 puts one right at the top of the heap - and jesse (as per Sportsnet) ran a 4.43 in washington (even better) and a 4.46 on his pro day one year ago

see, the ONLY knock on lumsden that some promulgate is that he runs too upright, and that he has played against inferior competition (and thus, will be average or fail at the next level) - whether he was in the CIS West or East, the bottom line is that he was always the best player on the field, and would have benefitted from being in the US, that is true (but that is another story - cause he would have never been offered a tailback position in the US - his only shot at tb was in the CIS, perhaps unfortunately)

but his play AFTER college seems to be what is most relevent, don't you agree? you must agree with me here. It is common sense. He averaged over 8 ypc in the shrine (not CIS patsies) and over 5 pyc in the cfl (again, certainly impressive given the div 1 talent present, and the fact that he did it in his 2nd thru 6th pro game, as a rookie) - plus returned and caught v well (not one dropped ball) - so why go back to his CIS days as the main barometer? he has pro film with over 700 yards - that is what washington must be looking at - and, again, as a pro, if lumsden was as you describe, (they would see it on the cfl film) there is no chance in the world that wash signs him imo - again, unless they saw speed and vision, the wash coaches have no interest in him as a tb, logically

i am not saying that lumsden will for certain be a solid nfl tb, or that he projects perfectly to the nfl - no one knows at this point - he may be the surprise of the year, or be cut out of camp, or somewhere in between - but it is absolutely silly to claim that he is not fast or lacks vision - absolute baloney - speak to the renegade linebacker corps and secondary who were thoroughly impressed at his 60 yd screen td, with speed and instincts aplenty, in post game comments - speak to the head coach in the shrine who said that jesse was the ONLY back to hit the hole with speed and vision, as practised (again, do a google to get his post game comments - it is there in black and white)

your argument is a standard one that was easy to make when jesse was in the CIS - but those comments have proven to be short sighted given the shrine and cfl accomplishments, and his nfl taken measurables - the last question remains - is he good enough for the nfl? the seattle experiment is incomplete given the injuries - thus, we shall find out this summer how lumsden stacks up against nfl talent, particularly in preseason games

murtceps,

I started this thread because it was kind of cool for me to have one of my former players signing with the Redskins. I am obviously biased in his favor, but I can't help but agree with what you have written. In High School, Jesse was the best player on the field, at McMaster, he was the best player on the field. He w extremely impressive in the Shrine game, and equally so on a dreadful CFL team. I have coached at all levels- including a stint with the Toronto Argonauts (my luck to leave the team the year before they win the Grey Cup) and the Argo coaching staff would have loved to have been able to get Lumsden. He is NOT a WR, he will NEVER be a TE or H-back. He is a great receiver out of the backfield ( I believe he had a + 100 yard catch and run TD this year- (CFL field is 110 yds long), he has amazing vision and can return Kick offs. Jesse will have the fight of his life to make this team, but he has terrific heart and determination and should make the coaches think long and hard about him. I know that my son will be just one of many Canadians hoping he does well.

Why am I thinking poor man's John Riggins. A little lighter then John, but definately a bit faster. Riggins was fast when he got his load going. This guy sounds like he may have more initial burst then John. Nice size, with good speed and power. Definately sleeper.

We have been doing well with our finds the last couple of years under Joe. M. Washington, Springs, Griffin, Taylor, Cooley, Brunnell, Rogers, Campbell, Salavea, Daniels, Portis, Moss --all which leads me to believe more in our evaluation of talent.

I still think we need to do better in the later rounds of the draft though.

Murceps A very good friend and teammate who went to the CFL combine with Lumsden said that even there the coiaches were worried that he used his size and speed rather than his vision, thats where I got it from. also in regards to speed, I read that he ran a 4.45 and 4.5 NOT speed back numbers. yes he has great measurables and yes I hope he does well but we shall see if hes anything more than roster depth. remember Saladin maccullough?

Never have so many said so much about so few who have done so little.

Pay no mind. Just willing to be an azz for a cheap laugh.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Really...a ten page thread over some CFL nobody?? Sheesh. Yeah, I hope the kid is lights out, but I mean...chances are he's going to be gone before the regular season or he'll be a 2-3 play a game back and special teamer. I can't believe there were 10 threads about him!!

Sheesh...how long are the threads going to be when we sign someone significant?!?!? 100 pages??? :)

I may be wrong but I don't think Monk ever played RB in college. You might be thinking of Charley Taylor.

No, Art played RB at Syracuse.

Nicknamed "Quiet Man" or simply "#81" for his humble and professional demeanor, he played collegiately at Syracuse University as a running back. The Washington Redskins drafted Monk in 1980 and converted him to wide receiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Monk

Myself, including a lot of people have a "Matt Jones" man crush on this guy, not that there is anything wrong with that. :silly:

I would love see this guy prosper with the skins. His size and speed are a good start. I wonder though, if it was money or some kind of assurance from the skins that made him decide to come here because correct me if I'm wrong, he had up to 5 offers from other teams?

FYI, the amount of "pages" to any thread is relative. It's a variable setting in your user control panel. You can set the amount of posts on a page.

For instance... I have 40 posts per page... so this thread is only 4 pages long for me :) I've never figured why anyone would use a lower setting....

FYI, the amount of "pages" to any thread is relative. It's a variable setting in your user control panel. You can set the amount of posts on a page.

For instance... I have 40 posts per page... so this thread is only 4 pages long for me :) I've never figured why anyone would use a lower setting....

Same here. Also if you set it to 40 pages, it doesn't strech the screen out for miles across your monitor during game threads. ;)

Same here. Also if you set it to 40 pages, it doesn't strech the screen out for miles across your monitor during game threads. ;)

Thats great....makes thing much better! Also trying my first multi quote....take those training wheels off!

ryman

lumsden did NOT attend the cfl combine, so your friend's comments are suspect, to be generous - Lumsden was in arizona training during the CFL combine in Ottawa (like the indy combine, a few top picks each year don't attend) - a printed story arose about his non-attendance, though gms, already familiar w lumsden, didn't have their noses out of joint, it appears

re cfl coaches/personel, all are quoted publically as saying that Lumsden's speed and vision are excellent (which his pro play subsequently demonstrated) - it seems unlkely that they would say that then support something less on the qt at a combine (assuming Lumsden was at the combine, which he was not)

i accept your point about speed, and that sometimes a guy (read in Bo) runs a silly 4.2 or 4.3 - but if one takes all nfl backs, (starter, backup, third string) and time them on an nfl watch, lumsden's 4.43-4.45 puts him easily in the top third league wide - am not saying that jesse is a top 10 guy in the nfl - but he is NOT "average" on his 40 time, (leaving aside the other fact of his size, which makes his time that much more valuable) according to numbers known to fans like us

diehard

sorry to use thread for technical assistance, but how does one change the settting to 40 posts/page

i kinda suck with computers

thanks

Go to USERCP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options (3rd box down) >Number of posts to show per page > change to "show 40 posts per page"

Archived