Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The difference between 12-4 and 4-12....

Hog Lover

I've known it my whole life, but it's more and more apparent that games are won and lost in the trenches. Teams that dominate the line of scrimmage win the game. Even Peyton Manning can't do anything when he doesn't have time to make his reads. Mark Rypien can win a Superbowl MVP behind a line that gives him time. The o-line and d-line make the team.

Our offensive line is among the better in the league, but in both of the playoff games we lost the battle upfront. I'd like to see the Redskins get a dominant OL player if one is available. Maybe a Guard to solidfy that position.

I like our line with Thomas in it but Dockery has got to go... Losing Randy really hurt us down the stretch, Ramyer just wasn't the answer so I say sure up the other guard spot and we're golden as far as protection.

I disagree. After a couple early season penalties Dockery settled down and had a solid year. Really, before Randy Thomas went down, all the pressure was coming from outside rushes on Samuels and Jansen. I think Dock is coming around and turning into a really good player for us. Besides, probably the most important thing for an O-line is continuity and experience together. We're finally starting to have that and I think our line will be excellent next year. Depth, on the other hand, is another issue altogther. We need at least 2-3 solid backups before next season starts or we're asking for trouble.

You got it brotha, Mark Brunell or Ramsey could win a SuperBowl. A QB doesnt have to run the 40 in 4.2 seconds like a great reciever and back does. All he needs is protection and he can rip a defense up with good recievers like we will have. Give us a few more good recievers, a few more bigger and better linemen, because even our healthy line did NOT open gaping holes for Portis like many other lines did for there backs, then this team can beat any in the NFL in our house or thiers.

:doh:

after 7 straight playoff type games 5 on the road (2 out west).... the team was beat up and tired. While the hawks, have been resting the last couple games and had the bye week.

look at the stats, pretty good, and they improve as the season progressed, until they finished as one of the top 3-5... not bad at all considering Samuels, Rabach, and Jansen all need surgery, and Thomas broke leg replaced by 43 year old Ray Brown.

We gave up less sacks than KC, in almost the same number of pass attempts. The last 5 reg. season games, we were one of the best run teams. lets not forget they have played against some of the best defensive fronts all season.

BTW for the Dockery haters, He won 2 team weekly awards for his outstanding play, and Gibbs in his press conference singled him out after TB, as his play was "excellent". People aren't paying attention, or don't know anything about the OL, because Dockery is becoming a very good LG. His last 8 games he was great. Heck even the Post stated his play is often overlooked because of the bigger names on the line, but he has been important to their success.

all the OL needs is to get healthy, and to get a quality backup guard/center.

Randy Thomas is tremendous, but I was really disappointed how much the line broke down after he got injured. But not nearly as disappointed after Ray Brown went out too. Depth would be nice, but I would trade that for depth on D.

I've known it my whole life, but it's more and more apparent that games are won and lost in the trenches. Teams that dominate the line of scrimmage win the game. Even Peyton Manning can't do anything when he doesn't have time to make his reads. Mark Rypien can win a Superbowl MVP behind a line that gives him time. The o-line and d-line make the team.

Our offensive line is among the better in the league, but in both of the playoff games we lost the battle upfront. I'd like to see the Redskins get a dominant OL player if one is available. Maybe a Guard to solidfy that position.

please quit drinking the bong water. our o-line sucks, that's why when it counted most brunell got chased and clinton got stuffed.

I like our line with Thomas in it but Dockery has got to go... Losing Randy really hurt us down the stretch, Ramyer just wasn't the answer so I say sure up the other guard spot and we're golden as far as protection.

Huh? What? You're saying that Raymer sucked when Thomas and Brown went down so we need to ditch Dockery? Maybe you should edit that to complete your thought or something, because that logic makes zero sense.

Dockery was fine this year. The problems we had came either from the edge, or after Thomas went down. Neither of those has anything to do with dockery's play.

That being said, we do need some quality depth on the O-line, all of it not just the interior. If we draft someone and they come in and outperform Dockery, then they get the job. But there is no way in hell we get rid of Dockery, and I doubt we get anyone through the draft that can outplay him.

Our offensive line was beat up, we lost Randy Thomas. We were just struggling and tired late in the season. Hopefully in the draft we can use some later round draft picks on a lineman to add some depth to the roster so we have a realiable backup. I'm hoping we cut Corey Raymer because of his poor play in the playoffs and blown assingments.

Our offensive line was beat up, we lost Randy Thomas. We were just struggling and tired late in the season. Hopefully in the draft we can use some later round draft picks on a lineman to add some depth to the roster so we have a realiable backup. I'm hoping we cut Corey Raymer because of his poor play in the playoffs and blown assingments.

Yep we were banged up and thats why we need some more good offensive linemen, our depth there could definately improve.

This is completely true. It will always be the way that teams win games.

Our line has a lot of solid talent and put together some very good efforts, sometimes tremendous. And bubba is right, Dockery played like a MAN at times during the season.

The problem? Inconsistency. We'd follow up some tremendous pass blocking with some complete breakdowns; we'd follow up gaping holes for Portis with some complete breakdowns. I have no idea why this happened; it could be scheme, it could be players out of position, don't know.

What I do know is that we need more consistency on the line to perform at a high level for 19 games.

I also know that our lack of depth was very obvious against Seattle. Ray Brown held his own, and damn I love the guy, but he was at times overmatched. Cory Raymer should never play guard again, and I have no idea why he was put in that spot when we have other players who are more natural guards. He was flat out terrible. More depth will help a lot, because linemen will go down at some point during the season. They always do; we pray not for a long time, but always for some amount of game action.

Good post, we do need depth at Guard. Once Thomas went down our season did too. We need a guard with speed who can pull.:logo::logo::logo:

Agreed. We don't need new starters, but we DO need depth at both OT and OG. The same thing that happened to us at OG in the playoffs could well have happened to us at OT had Jansen or Samuels had to sit. I haven't seen Molinaro play (except for a few preseason games) so I won't say he's got to go, but I haven't heard much in the way of love for him from Buges or Gibbs. And even if he can cut the mustard, we still need another to avoid a "Cory Raymer" situation.

Archived